PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy #1 diesel?

Hickey
03-30-2005, 11:56 AM
I need some for my heater and the only place I know of is the Chevron on 21st and 300 west.

Spork
03-30-2005, 11:59 AM
#2 isn't good enough? :confused:

I thought the only difference was #1 is summer blend (it will gel if it gets too cold) and #2 is winter blend.

Hickey
03-30-2005, 12:06 PM
#2 isn't good enough? :confused:

I thought the only difference was #1 is summer blend (it will gel if it gets too cold) and #2 is winter blend.
Well, the heater says to use only kerosene or Diesel#1. I have heard that #1 is similar to winter blend #2. I do know that some old school truckers ran a lot of #1 in their rigs during wintertime. They say #1 burns hotter.

Meat_
03-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Numbers 1 and 2 Diesel Fuel are the primary fuel for mobile diesel engine applications. Number 1 Diesel Fuel is commonly labeled at the pump as "Premium Diesel" or with a Cetane number of 44 or 45. It is not as thick as Number 2 Diesel Fuel and for this reason is the choice for motorists during the cold winter months. The disadvantage of Number 1 Diesel Fuel is that it does not have the lubricating qualities associated with Number 2 Diesel Fuel. While Number 2 Diesel Fuel has a higher lubricating quality than Number 1 Diesel, its thickness can cause rough starting in a cold engine and rough-running in cold weather. Number 2 Diesel Fuel is usually labeled at the pump with a Cetane number of 40. (http://www.flashoffroad.com/Diesel/DieselFuel/about_diesel_fuel.htm)

And as we all know, anything you find printed on the introweb is as good as gospel

Spork
03-30-2005, 01:20 PM
sorry had them backward. :hickey:

rust bucket
03-30-2005, 04:59 PM
I think Cardwell oil on 8000so and State st has it but im not sure

Hickey
03-30-2005, 05:52 PM
Premium diesel? I've never seen that before, and I would say I've used a fair bit of diesel in my experience. That link contradicts itself toward the end in reference to Cetane. :ugh:

Meat_
03-30-2005, 05:55 PM
I only buy for my truck from Harts, and it's premium (last I heard there were no set requirements to legally call it premium though). I've noticed the signs elsewhere, but I couldn't name any of them off hand.