PDA

View Full Version : Fire status in AF Canyon?

DevinB
07-11-2003, 09:08 AM
I'm going camping up AF canyon tonight, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if I should bring firewood. I haven't been up there for a few weeks, and last I heard you could still have fires. Has that changed? TIA
Devin

Greg
07-11-2003, 09:41 AM
I haven't heard anything either way, but I haven't been up the canyon for a month or so.

Caleb
07-11-2003, 09:44 AM
I am going up there in about an hour...I will let you know when I get back...should be this afternoon...

Greg
07-11-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by supergper
I am going up there in about an hour...I will let you know when I get back...should be this afternoon...

Talk about Above & Beyond the Call of Duty! Wow, what a guy! :p

Caleb
07-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Greg

Talk about Above & Beyond the Call of Duty! Wow, what a guy! :p

I am wondering the same question cause I might be camping up there this weekend so I figured I could do the guy a favor and report back:D:D:D

DevinB
07-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Thanks, it's greatly appreciated. And while you're in the spirit of helping, I'm sure you'll be going to the store for drinks and snacks and what not. While you're there, if you wouldn't mind picking me up some stuff too, I mean since you'll already be there and all. It'd really help. I don't want much, just some pop, chips, maybe some Little Smokies... :D
Devin

Shawn
07-11-2003, 10:44 AM

I am wondering the same question cause I might be camping up there this weekend so I figured I could do the guy a favor and report back:D:D:D

Please report on the construction also.

Caleb
07-11-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Schwan

Please report on the construction also.

I will, but what construction is that???

Shawn
07-11-2003, 11:12 AM

I will, but what construction is that???

The removing of all the tailings.

Floppy Hat
07-11-2003, 11:33 AM
From what I have seen there are still no fire restrictions in AFC area. The only restrictions I am aware of are that fires are only allowed in designated campgrounds in the following counties:

Washington
Kane
Garfield
Iron
Beaver (West of I-15 only)

There are also restrictions on campfires and fireworks in Zions National Park and the unincorporated areas of Salt Lake and Davis Counties.

I'm anxious to see what Caleb finds out.

cruiseroutfit
07-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Schwan
...Please report on the construction also.

As of last week there were no closures as result of construction, they are using a stretch of the main road, and you must yield to them. They do have alot of machinery in the canyon, it is all parked at the trailhead to Mary Ellen gulch... shouldn't affect much.

mbryson
07-11-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit

As of last week there were no closures as result of construction, they are using a stretch of the main road, and you must yield to them. They do have alot of machinery in the canyon, it is all parked at the trailhead to Mary Ellen gulch... shouldn't affect much.

...........and the main road is quite improved (smoothed and flattened) up to the tailings areas.

cruiseroutfit
07-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by mbryson

...........and the main road is quite improved (smoothed and flattened) up to the tailings areas.

Yes, yes, and they have also sprayed a portion of the road with a dust-preventative stuff... can't remember what its called but they use it up at my fathers ranch in Idaho... its not oil... calcium something... keeps the dust down nicely.

mbryson
07-11-2003, 01:02 PM

Yes, yes, and they have also sprayed a portion of the road with a dust-preventative stuff... can't remember what its called but they use it up at my fathers ranch in Idaho... its not oil... calcium something... keeps the dust down nicely.

That was kind of nice.................I only had to change the vacuum bag twice instead of the normal three times when I got home and cleaned up.

Floppy Hat
07-11-2003, 01:24 PM

I've always referred to it as Mag Water or Chicken Fat. I'll have to look into the actual composition of the stuff.

Caleb
07-11-2003, 02:06 PM

pretty much summed it up:D...

and there is NO fire restrictions as of today...

DevinB
07-11-2003, 02:14 PM
YES!! Thanks. And have you stopped by the store yet?
Devin

ROLLOVER QUEEN
07-13-2003, 08:48 AM
Yeah we went and hit Mary Ellen Gulch yest. and there wasnt any closers and also there are no restrictions to fires as long as they are in the pits but me and Jeff are going camping ou there next weekend so we had to go and figure out if there were any constrictions but none yet.:)

Caleb
07-13-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by ROLLOVER QUEEN
Yeah we went and hit Mary Ellen Gulch yest. and there wasnt any closers and also there are no restrictions to fires as long as they are in the pits but me and Jeff are going camping ou there next weekend so we had to go and figure out if there were any constrictions but none yet.:)

you guys also did forest lake too huh, I was up there with my wfie and bro-in-law on four wheelers...we were at the lake the same time as you guys...

ROLLOVER QUEEN
07-13-2003, 10:43 AM

you guys also did forest lake too huh, I was up there with my wfie and bro-in-law on four wheelers...we were at the lake the same time as you guys... We sure were. Were u with the guy that was on the dirt bike to? He rode all the around the lake? We were good this time though. LOL. Yup that was us.:)

Caleb
07-13-2003, 04:36 PM
no he was just on the trail a little a head of us though...

shmoesmith
07-15-2003, 02:47 PM
I went up last week and fires were allowed...however i was told by a ranger last week on saturday that it was the last weekend they were allowing fires up there....so for all, fires should be off limits starting sunday the 13th....she also gave me a map of all of the trails up there. Apparently all this talk about closing trails pertains to single track motorcycle trails only! she told me that they planned on taking those out in the next y ear or so and that they had no intention of closing any 4x4 roads :)

-Doug

my4thjeep
07-15-2003, 03:09 PM
what about the miller hill trail?
As mentioned here http://www.utahwest.com/Truck/amerfork.htm

I tried to go up it but there was a huge hole in the trail. Now only wide enough for dirt bikes etc. Its right at the start. The posted signs say its open.

Any one been up there recently?

84 4Runner
07-16-2003, 10:37 AM
On a side note...

Does anyone know if dogs are allowed in AF Canyon?

I'm hoping to take my new puppy camping to get her used to 4wheeling and sleeping in a tent. Moab is just a little too hot for a puppy right now, :( so I was thinking of going to AF Canyon. I can't remember if AF Canyon is a watershed (no dogs) area.

my4thjeep
07-16-2003, 10:40 AM
i have seen dogs up there but doesn't mean they are allowed. i don't really know but here is the ranger station # -801-785-3563

mbryson
07-16-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 84 4Runner
On a side note...

Does anyone know if dogs are allowed in AF Canyon?

I'm hoping to take my new puppy camping to get her used to 4wheeling and sleeping in a tent. Moab is just a little too hot for a puppy right now, :( so I was thinking of going to AF Canyon. I can't remember if AF Canyon is a watershed (no dogs) area.

I used to take my dog up there all the time. If you're responsible and clean up after them, I don't think most people mind at all.

84 4Runner
07-16-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by mbryson

I used to take my dog up there all the time. If you're responsible and clean up after them, I don't think most people mind at all.

I hope that's the case. I just know that in some places, especially National Forest land (which that might be) are considered to be a watershed. Even if you bring a bag and clean up after your dog (which I always do), the water can still be polluted. I would hate to add to Utah's water problems. :(

But if no one has seen signs saying otherwise, hopefully it is ok. :D

Coreshot
07-17-2003, 05:44 AM
Dogs are definitely allowed in AF canyon. I take my lab up there all winter long on snow hikes.

EZRhino
07-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Oh-oh,

No more fires as of this morning!

Only in established campgrounds.

EZ

Greg
07-18-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by EZRhino
Oh-oh,

No more fires as of this morning!

Only in established campgrounds.

EZ

DAMN! I haven't even had a fire up there this year..... No wonder this summer has been lame.

84 4Runner
07-21-2003, 09:26 AM
I went up AF this weekend. No fires unless in designated camping areas. No charcoal stoves either. And of course, no fireworks :(

And dogs are allowed. My puppy had her first swimming and wheeling lesson all in the same day. She loved the swimming and the hiking and seemed to like (or tolerate) the wheeling. :D

Klif01
07-21-2003, 11:03 AM
Dogs are supposed to be kept on leashes just in the campgrounds, and in city limits anywhere in utah from what I understand. But everywhere else its fine. There are particular areas that dogs aren't allowed period but you would see signs or somthing.

According to orem cop.