PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Basin Road closed!



EZRhino
08-13-2003, 02:23 PM
Uinta road to close just on weekdays

PROVO The Uinta National Forest has issued a temporary closure for the Mineral Basin Road beginning immediately.
The closure is necessary to ensure public safety during reclamation work on five abandoned mine sites located on national forest lands in the North Fork area of American Fork Canyon.
The closure will be enforced weekdays from 7 a.m. on Monday through 5 p.m. on Friday to allow heavy trucks and equipment to travel the single-lane road unimpeded.
Forest visitors will be allowed to use the road on weekends. The closure will remain in effect until further notice.
Call 342-5100 for more information.

Hickey
08-13-2003, 02:35 PM
As expected. Thanks for keeping us update, Giraffe.

Kris K
08-13-2003, 03:02 PM
I was up there this last weekend and noticed it was closed when i got down the road out of the canyon one of the granite guys stopped me and i talked to him about it being closed he just told me what EZ said that it was open after 5pm on weedays and open on weekends. He said it was going ot be intell the end of september. I had pics of the signs and stuff but i lost them . Hope this helps you out some.

cruiseroutfit
08-13-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by EZRhino
...five abandoned mine sites located on national forest lands in the North Fork area of American Fork Canyon....

Just out of shear curiosity... does anyone know which five sites they are planning on working...

Bog Mine? Bay State? Any others you can think of?

cruiseroutfit
08-13-2003, 05:06 PM
Oh yeah, and I think it says alot of the FS up AF canyon that they are making a great effort to keep the area usable during the busy times (nights and weekends). They could easily shut it down til' September (or longer).

Thank them next time you are up there and see a Ranger... :D

Hickey
08-13-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
Oh yeah, and I think it says alot of the FS up AF canyon that they are making a great effort to keep the area usable during the busy times (nights and weekends). They could easily shut it down til' September (or longer).

Thank them next time you are up there and see a Ranger... :D Agreed.

Kris K
08-13-2003, 05:11 PM
The guy told me that they where working right by the Rock garden and said that Probably when there done the trail will be harder. I guess will see. He said somthing about Rock trucks coming in and out of the trail and they didn't want anyone to get hit by one.

cruiseroutfit
08-13-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Portrnrzuk
The guy told me that they where working right by the Rock garden and said that Probably when there done the trail will be harder. I guess will see. He said somthing about Rock trucks coming in and out of the trail and they didn't want anyone to get hit by one.

Yes, the Bog Mine is fairly close to the rockgarden.

The construction company is picking up all of the tailings and moving them further down the canyon where they have built a "holding" area for them. The FS/Engineers figured it would be more cost effective and safer to keep the contaminated dirt up there. After they clean up the tailings piles and cap the remaing dirt, they will eventually reopen the areas to travel (or keep them closed if there is no trail there currently).

In all they have done a great jon IMHO... I have been up there 5-6 times this year (mostly on weekends) and am yet to encounter a closed road or any inconvinence due to construction. They are currently finishing up at the Pacific Mine Site and were kind enough to leave access to the Miller Hill Trail... once again, say thanks.

Hickey
08-13-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Portrnrzuk
The guy told me that they where working right by the Rock garden and said that Probably when there done the trail will be harder. I doubt it will be any harder. They won't be allowed to leave the area in what someone might see as "Dis-repair". It will probably be quite improved up to the Garden. Heavy trucks have a way of making things flat.

JeepTJ38
08-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Im having a dumb day but you can still run the rock garden on weekends right ? i missed out on all the wheeling with the jeep beign out and would be way bent if it couldn't go play on the garden when I get it done. Also I would like to plan a trip for the 29 or 30 anyone want to go the the garden or little moab ?

cruiseroutfit
08-14-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by JeepTJ38
Im having a dumb day but you can still run the rock garden on weekends right ? ...

Sure can... they closing the road out of safety, not because they are changing anything about it.... They have HUGE dumptrucks up there and they don't want to have anyone else on the road as these things are hauling tons of dirt down narrow roads. But as soon as 5-o'clock rolls around.... its on. :D