Thread: Chevy Performance 5.7L vs. 5.3L

Chevy Performance 5.7L vs. 5.3L

Could someone clue me on the difference in numbers between these two motors? HP, Torque, MPG.

2. We invite you to join our Off-Road Community!

Welcome Guest! Please take the time to join us. It's Free!

Registering is required for you to post on the forums. Joining (which is free) will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, search our forums, view full attachments, and other contents of RME4x4.com. It's free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click here to join our community!

If you are already a member of RME, please login above to gain full access to the site.

one is .4L bigger. heheh
    I cried like a 12 year old girl during The Notebook!-- Jeremy Pool

U4WDA * Blue Ribbon Coalition member * USA-ALL member * DO YOUR PART

...I just filled the cup. Jay5.9L's Avatar
    I think the latest 5.7L vortec was hitting 255 and 325 in the trucks. The newer 5.3L was around 285 and low 300's in the TQ. The new Tahoe 5.3L is closer to 320 something HP and a bit more TQ.
    1986 CJ-7 with stuff

A 98 Tahoe produces 255 HP @ 4600 RPM and 330 ft/lbs Torque @ 2800 RPM
    An 01 Tahoe 285 hp @ 5,200 rpm and 325 ft/lbs of Torque @ 4,000 RPM.

I think that power curve sucks on the 5.3. Who drives around at 4000 rpm?
    Ive driven my girlfriends Avalanche with the 5.3 quite a bit and it constantly has to downshift to go up a hill or pass anyone.

The 5.3 is a motor made for small cars not trucks imo. go for the 5.7 350.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Tony
    The 5.3 is a motor made for small cars not trucks imo. go for the 5.7 350.

I''m afraid this may be true. My Suburban has enough power to hit Parley's at 80mph and still accelerate. It rocks at 4-5000rpm. However, it is slow moving out from 0. The 5.7 will be cheaper too.

I've posted elsewhere on the 5.3 motor. I've driven chevs all my life, started with a '76 with a 305, an '89, a 91, a '94, a '95, a '96, a '97 all with the 5.7 (350), a '99, an '01 with the 5.3, and an '02 with the 5.3 and currently an '02 with the 6.0.
    That being said, the '97 Tahoe with the 5.7 was an awesome rig! It was fast and towed very well (4.10 gears). I'd have to say that was my favorite to drive. My parents have an '02 Tahoe with the 5.3. It is very similar to the '97. Obviously, the '02 is a bit larger (4-door vs. the 2-door) but the '02 has 3.73 gears and is a little sluggish off the line when towing, but the mid to upper RPM range is great. The 5.3 has a broader RPM range than the 5.7s had, hence the horsepowere & torque ratings at higher RPMs than the 5.7.
    So, personally, I think the 5.3 is a good motor. Better than the 5.7? Not sure on that, but very close...IMO

I have the 5.3 in my 01 Tahoe that I just bought. I actually got rid of a 97 F250 with the 460 in it as a tow rig and plan on using this Tahoe instead. I only tow about 2 times a year, and this Tahoe will double as a family rig/tow rig. With that said, I've read a lot of info on Full Size Chevy.com especially the information on performance tuning in the performance section. I've so far installed a K&N cold air intake on it, and also ordered a "customed tuned" PCM from Wait4Me Performance. $158.10 for a PCM from Jesse with $65.00 of that back if you send him your old PCM. Beats a handheld tuner. After this, I'll do a CAT back, and that should do me just fine for the little towing I do. HTH!

Dan.
    I've killed Utah's state bird. Hundreds of them.

You're welcome!