Thread: Wagoneer front axle width?

Wagoneer front axle width?

The front D44 I have for my Willys came from a Wagoneer, and I was under the impression it was close to 62" wide WMS-WMS, which is a bit wider than I'd like it to be to match my rear Toyota axle at 58". As I looked around for axle shaft lengths, (contemplating narrowing) I ran across this, which says mine should be 59".....perfect, if that's true. Mine's all disassembled, so I can't easily verify that.

Can anyone tell me for sure? Either have one you can measure, or used to have one you know the width of? Mine is a passenger side drop, which should be that 1974-79 I believe. My axle shaft lengths do match what are listed below, so that gives me hope.

Carl

2. We invite you to join our Off-Road Community!

Welcome Guest! Please take the time to join us. It's Free!

Registering is required for you to post on the forums. Joining (which is free) will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, search our forums, view full attachments, and other contents of RME4x4.com. It's free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click here to join our community!

If you are already a member of RME, please login above to gain full access to the site.

FSJ fronts should be just about 59" unless you've got (and from a Wag, you don't) a "Wide Track" from a Chief or a truck, which should be... 65" or so.

That's off the top of my FSJ head, which is a little rusty these days. I used to know this stuff cold.

be warned that later (82+) were using a lot of odd parts that supposedly weren't actually offered. Brake parts, that kind of thing, so their might be some variation possible there.
    Last edited by Tacoma; 11-09-2008 at 12:11 AM.
    I cried like a 12 year old girl during The Notebook!-- Jeremy Pool

U4WDA * Blue Ribbon Coalition member * USA-ALL member * DO YOUR PART

Not sure about your pass drop 1974-79 axle, but my 1980-84 driver drop is definitely 62" wms to wms. I'd assume the older axles might be a little narrower.

Narrow tracks before 81 are the 58" width.
    Too many projects, too little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Narrow tracks before 81 are the 58" width.
    Sweet. Sounds like Carl is set then.

My 78 narrow track waggy front dana 44 was narrowed by 3.5" and is now right around 56-56.5 inches wide which would put the stock width at 59.5-60" I could go home and measure it for sure if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    My 78 narrow track waggy front dana 44 was narrowed by 3.5" and is now right around 56-56.5 inches wide which would put the stock width at 59.5-60" I could go home and measure it for sure if you want.
    That would be fantastic if you could. While you're under there, measure between the upper balljoints or something--just so I can compare with my taken-apart housing.

Thanks everyone so far! I hate conflicting information.
    Carl

Unfortunately, the many owners of the Jeep brand add to it. In this case, post-AMC Jeeps seem to have wider axles.
    I cried like a 12 year old girl during The Notebook!-- Jeremy Pool

U4WDA * Blue Ribbon Coalition member * USA-ALL member * DO YOUR PART

Quote Originally Posted by I Lean View Post
    That would be fantastic if you could. While you're under there, measure between the upper balljoints or something--just so I can compare with my taken-apart housing.

Thanks everyone so far! I hate conflicting information.
    I measured it this morning and came up with the following measurements on my narrowed axle. I only had time to take off one wheel so I might be off a bit:
    between the upper balljoints 44" (should be about 47.5 on one that wasn't shortened)
    upper ball joint to WMS 6 5/8"
    So the total should be 2x(6 5/8) + 44 = 57.25" (+ 3.5" = 60.75" plus or minus a bit.)

Thanks Dave. It's a bit wider than I'd hoped, but narrower than I originally thought it was....probably not worth narrowing, so I'm still set--just not as perfectly as the picture in the first post tells me I am.

If it bugs me too much, I can always narrow the housing after everything's finished and driving, and most likely only have to redo one bracket and steering link lengths. That'll be my backup plan.
    Carl

Carl, I finally got around to measuring the '78 PSD Waggy axle I have. It is exactly 58" from outside brake rotor to outside brake rotor, there is approximately 1.75" on each side out to the WMS which gives you 61.5". Sorry it took me so long.
    Shop: (801) 467-8675 - Cell: (801) 360-3609