Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help us re-open Coyote Canyon

Help us re-open Coyote Canyon

Help us re-open Coyote Canyon

Background: Coyote Canyon is one of Moab’s premier rock crawling trails. With the implementation of the BLM’s new Moab RMP, it is now closed to vehicle traffic.

Why it was closed: The new RMP limits motorized travel to “designated” routes. Any route to be considered for travel had to be included on the BLM maps prior to December 30, 2003. While we were successful in getting several previously un-mapped trails on the list (such as Rusty Nail, Where Eagles Dare, and the Pickle) prior to the deadline, Coyote was not submitted. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, Coyote did not exist prior to this date. It was, however, created in an area that was designated “open” at the time of creation, which technically made it legal. Since the trail was not included, it was never considered, and was therefore closed.

How we can get it re-opened: The new RMP allows for the designation of new routes. However, the BLM has not yet created a procedure for this. Moab Friends-For-Wheelin’ wants to gather information, letters of support, etc. now, so we can submit our request for designation as soon as the BLM allows.

What we need: I would like everyone that has an interest in seeing this trail re-opened to write a letter of support, and mail or email it to me. I will collect the letters, and then submit them to the BLM along with other documents (photos, GPS data, our “Adopt-A-Trail" proposal, etc.). At some time in the future, I may also ask for letters to be sent directly to the BLM, but at this point we need to wait for their “procedure” to be put into place.

What to say in your letter: Please address your letter to “BLM, Moab Field Office, 82 E. Dogwood Ave, Moab UT 84532.” Some ideas include: Tell them why you think Coyote Canyon should be re-opened. Why is it important to you and your family? Why is it important to Moab’s economy? Why do we need a legal, “hardcore” rock crawling trail? How can a trail such as Coyote Canyon help take pressure off of other existing trails such as Pritchett Canyon or Moab Rim? What would you personally do to help insure that Coyote Canyon and the surrounding area remains clean and free of abuse?

Thank you! Please email letters to me at drtsqrl@frontiernet.net. Or, you can mail a hard copy to me (PM me for my address). I believe that we have a pretty decent shot at this, but we need your help!

Jeff Stevens

Moab Friends-For-Wheelin’
    RR4W
    U4WDA Southeast VP
    BRC
    USA-All
    UFWDA
    Tread Lightly!
    Moab Friends-For-Wheelin'
    www.moabfriendsforwheelin.com

Looking for a trail run in Moab?
    Check out www.webejeepinmoab.com

2. We invite you to join our Off-Road Community!

Welcome Guest! Please take the time to join us. It's Free!

Registering is required for you to post on the forums. Joining (which is free) will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, search our forums, view full attachments, and other contents of RME4x4.com. It's free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click here to join our community!

If you are already a member of RME, please login above to gain full access to the site.

.......a few dollars more mbryson's Avatar
    IN!

I'll get you some info in the next few days. Thanks Jeff!!!

I'll start working on my letter, sounds like a fun project that I need to be involved with. I'd love to see Coyote Opened again, it's a one of a kind trail.

Jeff, do you mind if I post this on other sites? CO4x4, POR, etc?
    Join - Participate - Donate

USA-All

U4WDA

5. U4WDA Banner
    Working on my letter.

This trail IMO is the best trail Moab has to offer.
    1990 TOY PU

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I'll start working on my letter, sounds like a fun project that I need to be involved with. I'd love to see Coyote Opened again, it's a one of a kind trail.

Jeff, do you mind if I post this on other sites? CO4x4, POR, etc?

Thanks, Greg - The more the better!

Emailed you mine.

Working on a letter this weekend. Thanks for all you do Jeff!

Hooray! Jeff, great outline of the issue and great job on the proposed course of action.

I'm in.
    42 iroks, 60, 14 bolt etc...., heavy right foot.
    http://www.Boneheadcustomz.com

I would recommend you use the BLM established Amendment or Revision process per 43 CFR 1610.5-5 and 43 CFR 1610.5-6, respectively and BLM Manual MS-1601. This is persuant to Designation Procedures and Changes, 43 CFR 8342.2 and 43 CFR 8342.3. However, this is analogous a court case the burden of proof is yours to present in order to be sucessful. Documentation/requirements include trail coordinates, EIS (potentially), proof of creation under "open" travel designation, ORV demand, proof of ORV use monitoring in the area, change of scope, etc. Probably will cost $$$ to collect the required documentation and make the proposal but it can be done. Also recommend you show validity consistant with the National Management Strategy for Motorized Off-Highway Vehicle Use On Public Lands, dated 19 Jan 2001 and the BLM's current multiple-use public land policy, 43 CFR 1601.0-2 and MS-1601. This multi-use policy is IAW Legislature per 43 USC 1701 et seq., "goals and objectives be established by law as guidelines for public land use planning, and that management be on the basis of multiple use and sustained yield unless otherwise specified by law;"
    Additionally, the guidance and procedures for Land Use Planning, per the BLM, are provided in BLM Handbook H 1601-1. “This Handbook provides guidance for preparing, revising, amending, and maintaining land use plans. This Handbook also provides guidance for developing subsequent implementation (activity-level and project-specific) plans and decisions….This guidance does not, however, change or revise the planning regulations in 43 CFR 1600, which take precedence over this Handbook.” I would focus attention on Section VI and VII; however, to truly grasp the BLM’s Land Use Planning process and create successful change a review of the whole 161 pages of bureaucracy is probably necessary. Talk to the field office manager in Moab as Land Use Planning is initiated at the local/lowest levels.
    Last edited by russelle; 11-28-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Sent my first e-mail over to you, let me know what else you need. and consider this a "bump" back to the top so everyone will read it. This one is important guys, thanks for your help.
    42 iroks, 60, 14 bolt etc...., heavy right foot.
    http://www.Boneheadcustomz.com

C'mon, guys, we need some letters! So far I have recieved 8 letters (only a couple from RME), but we need 10 times that many!

If you have ANY interest at all in seeing Coyote Canyon re-opened, we NEED YOUR HELP! Please take a minute to write a short letter and email it to me. Everything you need to know is in the first post on this thread.

Thanks - Jeff

Sorry, Jeff. Composing a letter right now. Thanks for the push.

Quote Originally Posted by mbryson View Post
    Sorry, Jeff. Composing a letter right now. Thanks for the push.
    Me too... Sorry for the delay.

Come on guys! I expected more support from the members of RME! If you've ran Coyote Canyon before you know how fun it was, don't you want to do it again? If you haven't ran it yet, help out those that want to.
    Join - Participate - Donate

USA-All

U4WDA

It's a bad ass trail, IMHO.

Here's some pics if you've not seen it.

http://www.marbryson.com/Saturday14.htm

http://www.marbryson.com/oct08-coyote.html

http://www.marbryson.com/coyote2004.html
    (that's an exceptionally crappy HTML page---100 pics on one page--cool pics, but bad HTML writing)

This is an exceptionally worthy trail and could lead the way to getting a process in place to keep or get other things open that might be interesting.
    Last edited by mbryson; 12-02-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast