Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mashed Potato-NEW TRAIL in MOAB!

Mashed Potato-NEW TRAIL in MOAB!

A group of locals, mostly made up of those crazy Samurai's posted trail signs and officially marked our "new" trail in Moab called Mashed Potato. This trail had been a motorcycle route but the BLM opened it to 4 Wheel Drive. Hurrah for new trails!

We installed a sign at the entrance and exit of the trail. You can find this trail by following the 3-D route. It is up and near the airport, north of Moab. If you want specifics, let me know and I will get them for you.
    After placing the signs, we moved on to the main obstacle called the Gravy Boat.

Here’s some fun Gravy Boat action. Gary Lee wanted to pick a more extreme line. Jim went through first though, fully loaded with all the implements of heavy construction and the sign for the other end of the trail sticking out the back.

Now, Gary Lee wanted to see if Over-EZ would climb it or fulfill its name and flip.

Whew! It was close but by this point, Gary Lee is ready to give a big thumbs up. After Susan’s shaky thumb action on Widowmaker a few weeks ago (not sure if she wanted to stick it out or suck it), its become the new poser shot for the paparazzi’s camera.

Next came DeVon. This tub is small and DeVon’s long Jeep took a bit of manipulation to get lined up. Another nice poser shot!

And, he made it up too!

Susan’s thumb’s not so shaky on this one. Guess she figured Jeff wasn’t about to add another band-aid to Drtsqrl’s hood today after his flop on Widowmaker. Yes, she was riding along, not driving……

After we got to the other end, we had a casualty. LARRY! Might be hard to see but that’s a broken axle stub shaft, “look ma, no ears”!

So, Larry went around on 3-D while the rest of the group went backwards on Mashed Potato. Gary Lee had noted that he’d never seen anyone do the Gravy Boat backwards. So………here we go Jim!

That’s steep stuff! Careful now, make that turn without tipping!

Okay Jim, now you’re just showing off!

Go Gary Lee! No problem! Jeff went through so fast I didn’t get a photo.

But, I did get another poser shot!

BEAUTIFUL trail day! Wanna Jeep in Moab? Come on out and join us! www.webejeepinmoab.com

See ya on the trail!
    Melissa

2. We invite you to join our Off-Road Community!

Welcome Guest! Please take the time to join us. It's Free!

Registering is required for you to post on the forums. Joining (which is free) will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, search our forums, view full attachments, and other contents of RME4x4.com. It's free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click here to join our community!

If you are already a member of RME, please login above to gain full access to the site.

Tacoma free since '93 Bear Taylor's Avatar
    Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!! I really need to find a job down there so I can go play with you guys.
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyways."- John Wayne
    I like Beer

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlinBear View Post
    Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!! I really need to find a job down there so I can go play with you guys.
    No kidding. I've been looking and waiting for years and years.

Thanks for report and for posting up the signs! You guys & gals are awesome!

That looks like quite the good time! It's always GREAT news to hear of new trails being opened.....now just to keep this open and not trash it like many other trails.

Curious though, what would this be rated? From that obstacle it looks along the lines of Poison Spider or Hells Revenge...?

Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Your original outfitter for OME - ARB - AA - Safari - Helton - Engel - Since 1992
    Join us on Facebook
    ExpeditionUtah - A lifelong project of exploring Utah
    kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com

"You are truly the Justin Bieber of expedition" - JL Rockies

Quote Originally Posted by 1995zj View Post
    That looks like quite the good time! It's always GREAT news to hear of new trails being opened.....now just to keep this open and not trash it like many other trails.

Curious though, what would this be rated? From that obstacle it looks along the lines of Poison Spider or Hells Revenge...?
    Yeah, it's pretty much the same rating as Poison Spider IMO. The Gravy Boat can be a bit harder if its full of "gravy", but there is an easy bypass. We usually run it in conjunction with the Pickle, which makes for a nice combination.
    Moab Friends-For-Wheelin'
    www.moabfriendsforwheelin.com

Looking for a trail run in Moab?
    Check out www.webejeepinmoab.com

that trail looks bad a$$, post up some more pics of the trail
    BACKYARD CUSTOMZ

Definately awesome!
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB... http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/images/smilies/safari-rig.gif
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Expedition Utah
    The Dancin' Place

Nice, finally something fun around 3D. I ran 3D for the EJS a few years ago and it was borring except for one hill and one stop with a nice view.

Very Cool, DeVon is a really good friend of mine, been wheeling with him and Marleen for over a decade. Im starting to think he likes getting tippie.

Looks like an awesome trail. cant wait to get down there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4308.jpg  
    HubScratchers

Quote Originally Posted by rholbrook View Post
    Nice, finally something fun around 3D. I ran 3D for the EJS a few years ago and it was borring except for one hill and one stop with a nice view.
    3D's boring if your looking for a challenging trail, but I enjoy it if im just in the mood for a relaxing trail ride with awesome views. good trail if your in a stock rig.
    HubScratchers

Mashed potato is more of a play area like little moab rather than a "trail" per say, right?

Quote Originally Posted by drtsqrl View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty much the same rating as Poison Spider IMO. The Gravy Boat can be a bit harder if its full of "gravy", but there is an easy bypass. We usually run it in conjunction with the Pickle, which makes for a nice combination.
    I ran it earlier this year in conjunction with the Pickle. It was a great day. Mashed Potato was easy with the only hard part being the Gravy Boat which had gravy in it at that time.

Dan Mick took a group of Grand Cherokees 4 or 5 years ago......so how many other of these trails do you guys know of but haven't spilled the beans on yet?

I'll have to check it out next time I'm down that way.

We followed some locals to this area after the Pickle last year. We had a hard time finding the trail markers, and was never really sure we were on the right trail. I think we must have missed most of the good parts, because I ended up thinking it was a big waste of time. Is this an actual trail with a designated route, or just an open play area?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast