Thread: reddy heater fuel

reddy heater fuel

Anyone got a lead on where to get Kerosene or NO.1 fuel oil on the cheap? Lowes and Home depot want my arm and part of my leg for 5 gal.

Also, I have read that people have used diesel in them I have a reddy heater 55000 btu. Has anyone got experience with either?
    "Freedom has a special meaning to those who have fought for it that the protected will never know."

- Robert F. Heinrich

2. We invite you to join our Off-Road Community!

Welcome Guest! Please take the time to join us. It's Free!

Registering is required for you to post on the forums. Joining (which is free) will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, search our forums, view full attachments, and other contents of RME4x4.com. It's free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click here to join our community!

If you are already a member of RME, please login above to gain full access to the site.

I've just used diesel for the past five or six years without any problems.

The fumes will kill ya using diesel, but you'll die warm.

All of the big oil wholesalers carry Kerosene in 55's, if you can use that much. When I was using it, Jensen Oil on Redwood, and Cardwell on State would sell it by the gallon.

I've got a 35,000 btu Reddy Heater and have only run diesel in it. It smells a little but as long as there is some ventilation I've never had any issues with it in my two car garage which is pretty drafty.
    ^^^I said that^^^

I miss my Jeep.

​I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

I haven't noticed any significant difference between kerosene and diesel in mine.

The Chevron on 2100 S. 300 W. sells kero at the pump for WAY cheaper than 5 gal homo depot cans.
    Carl

I told you Pat has a Reddy heater 55 it's a 55,000 BTU heater the only differance is his does not have a thermostat, it is either on or off. There is not ventilation in his garage and I have spent 4 winters in there with it.
    --Beer kills the weak brain cells. This is why you seem smarter when you drink.--

--Need Money For Alcohol Research--

Thanks all. Ill try the Chevron and then go with the diesel. I guess i just needed a popular confirmation that it wouldn't kill my heater.

Reading online and it says that Diesel is fuel oil 2 which is why I asked orginally.
    "Freedom has a special meaning to those who have fought for it that the protected will never know."

- Robert F. Heinrich

Quote Originally Posted by I Lean View Post
    I haven't noticed any significant difference between kerosene and diesel in mine.

The Chevron on 2100 S. 300 W. sells kero at the pump for WAY cheaper than 5 gal homo depot cans.
    I just rang there and they said.. nope. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by mr_blove View Post
    I told you Pat has a Reddy heater 55 it's a 55,000 BTU heater the only differance is his does not have a thermostat, it is either on or off. There is not ventilation in his garage and I have spent 4 winters in there with it.
    And for about 4 years now i been saying you been acting kinda funny. hmm.

All of the big oil wholesalers carry Kerosene in 55's, if you can use that much. When I was using it, Jensen Oil on Redwood, and Cardwell on State would sell it by the gallon.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, ill be heading there today.

- Robert F. Heinrich

Quote Originally Posted by MattL View Post
    I just rang there and they said.. nope. :-(
    Well, they used to. That's how long it's been since I ran my heater on kerosene, I guess.
    Carl

Jardine in NSL , Kero @ $3.46 gal , pump open M-F, 8-5

I looked at Pats heater tonight and it says "kerosene or No 1 fuel only" and he has been running diesel as long as I have known him and before. There was one time we put kero in it and that was when we ran out of diesel, had been drinking so we couldn't get any more and I had a little kero in my garage, no difference.
    --Beer kills the weak brain cells. This is why you seem smarter when you drink.--

--Need Money For Alcohol Research--

Well all is well. Diesel works fine in mine. To me there was no real noticeable difference in smell.

thanks for the replies.

FYI Jensons had Kerosene for 4.49 a gal if you brought in your own container.

- Robert F. Heinrich

Lowe's sell Kero.
    Too many projects, too little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Lowe's sell Kero.
    Yeah but its spendy.

- Robert F. Heinrich