Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devil's Racetrack ~ San Rafael Swell

Devil's Racetrack ~ San Rafael Swell

I have ridden my dirt bike many times in this area. I am curious as to which trail segment are approved for Vehicle Travel.

Locomotive Trail
    Eagle Canyon
    Coal Wash
    Devil's RaceTrack
    Fix-it Pass.

I am going to have to order an updated travel map from the BLM if I can find one. But if any of you know the answers please chime in.

2. We invite you to join our Off-Road Community!

Welcome Guest! Please take the time to join us. It's Free!

Registering is required for you to post on the forums. Joining (which is free) will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, search our forums, view full attachments, and other contents of RME4x4.com. It's free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click here to join our community!

If you are already a member of RME, please login above to gain full access to the site.

I've got stacks of the latest BLM maps here in Sandy, you would be welcome to come grab one. All of those routes are open for motorized travel currently though they are conditional as they run though WSA.

If your a member on ExpeditionUtah.com there is a digital copy of the motorized travel link posted but I'm on my phone and can't easily find it.

Edit: not sure which segment your calling "Locomotive Trail"
    Last edited by cruiseroutfit; 03-27-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Your original outfitter for OME - ARB - AA - Safari - Helton - Engel - Since 1992
    Join us on Facebook
    ExpeditionUtah - A lifelong project of exploring Utah
    kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com

"You are truly the Justin Bieber of expedition" - JL Rockies

I ride these trails at least once a year on my dirt bike. It would be fun to take the family through if they are open to vehicles... I would simply avoid the devils racetrack segment as it may be the only trail that does not allow vehicles aside from Dirtbikes and 4 wheelers.

Devils Racetrack (#638 & 641) is absolutely allows full-size vehicle use however it is one of the more technical routes in the area so its not a great trail for the family Suburban or a stock pickup truck.

Eagle Canyon has also become a bit more difficult in the past couple of years, particularly the drop from Secret Mesa on the north end and the climb to Swazey's Cabin at the south.

Your Coal Wash = South Fork Coal Wash (open, trail# 639)
    Your Locomotive Trail = Locomotive Point (open, trails# 644, 638, 643)
    Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Your original outfitter for OME - ARB - AA - Safari - Helton - Engel - Since 1992
    Join us on Facebook

Booya.. Rockin the 4Runner on the DRT..

Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB... http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/images/smilies/safari-rig.gif
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Expedition Utah
    The Dancin' Place

Thanks for the trail info... that is good to hear.

I have only seen 2 JKs in the devils racetrack segment before... Its a great loop on a dirt bike and the obstacles are very minor (for me) to get through... I would think that if I could avoid the devils racetrack segment my YJ should be able to do a successful loop through the other trails.

Tech section in Devils Racetrack (me taking pic)

There is a ledgey little drop in that I haven't taken a pic of yet right before this section if riding North to South.

Rocky little climb out of locomotive trail (me taking pic)

I have seen quite a few vehicles run Devil's Racetrack. From a highly modified Land Cruiser to stock FJ cruisers and several open diff tacomas. I would think your Jeep wouldn't have a problem especially if you take it from North to South. Then you avoid having to climb the ledges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRSMWql1IEg

Me coming up that ledge...

Paul May on the last ledge

Paul Rossiter on last ledge

Gary T on last ledge

Brian P on last ledge

Approaching the ledges

Another panorama
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB... http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/images/smilies/safari-rig.gif
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Expedition Utah
    The Dancin' Place

Only cruiser guys would have a poser pic of every rig crossing the DRT ledge.

It doesn't take more than a stock 4x4 and decent driver.

Like others here, I've taken a 4x4 on all of the routes mentioned and they're all passable and all very fun. Despite what you'll hear from many ATV/MC users, Fix-It-Pass is no problem for a capable 4x4 and driver.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutabout View Post
    Only cruiser guys would have a poser pic of every rig crossing the DRT ledge.
    Jason is not a cruiser guy and the majority of those rigs are not Cruisers. Want and is are different.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutabout View Post
    It doesn't take more than a stock 4x4 and decent driver...
    For the majority of trails in the Swell I fully agree however DRT, FIP, and BDC can have spots along the trail that could damage a stock 4x4 or require a strap. A short wheel-base stock 4x4 should be OK but a long wheel-base truck, Suburban, etc would need some rocker protection and bumpers to avoid scraping. The ledge on DRT rubs bumpers on lifted rigs, a stocker would surely scuff things up.
    Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Join us on Facebook

Agreed. I'm not sure I would take most bone stock 4x4s through DRT or over Fix-it Pass, but there are a few that would be fine.

Steve, if in the event that you were invited on one of these awesome peepicular adventures, you could have a photo of the your Scout being dragged up that last ledge by a Toyota. Just sayin. Lest we forget this incident?

FWIW to the OP, my '99 4runner pictured had a 2" OME lift, and Trail Gear rock sliders; otherwise completely stock (read, OE rear locker).
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Expedition Utah
    The Dancin' Place

It has been about 25 years since I was last on this trail. I first did it in in 1981 my brand new 1981Toyota truck with “oversized” 30 inch tires. Later I took my new (built for those days) 1985 4-Runner with a 3 inch lift and 32’s. We would come in through Oil Well Flats, down Fix-it-pass and then out the Devils Racetrack. This trail, being one of the first that I ever did has always been a favorite. If anyone is planning a trip down there I would love to tag along.
    2008 JK Rubicon, 3" TF lift, Bumpers, winch..etc. 37" KM2's

I didn't even know they had 30" tires in '81.. Damn you're old.
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Expedition Utah
    The Dancin' Place

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast