Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver Lake road/flat/trail--any good 'wheeling up there?

Still plays with cars TurboMinivan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiseroutfit View Post
    It could be, my mapping software shows them both clearly. Milkmaid heads north then west, Upper Major Evans heads north than east eventually looking down into Mary Ellen Gulch.
    Okay, here is a screen grab from Google maps:

More or less due north from Silver Lake Flat is what I presume you are calling the Milkmaid trail. Over to the right, Mary Ellen Gulch trail is clearly labeled as such. I presume the smaller trail in between them is Major Evans Gulch, and I guess that's the one you say is closed.

Is this all correct?
    Dempsey Bowling
    Salesman @ Doug Smith Autoplex
    1998 Wrangler Sport: 4" longarm + 1" body, 35" KM2s, 4.56, dual ARBs, etc

2. We invite you to join our Off-Road Community!

Welcome Guest! Please take the time to join us. It's Free!

Registering is required for you to post on the forums. Joining (which is free) will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, search our forums, view full attachments, and other contents of RME4x4.com. It's free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click here to join our community!

If you are already a member of RME, please login above to gain full access to the site.

Blog Entries
    There is a connector trail between major evans and the trail north of Silver Lake Flats. However, this connector trail has a locked gate at the top. Unless you know the owner and have a key to the gate, you'll never be able to connect to major evans.

At least that's how I understand it.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 04-18-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    '05 4runner Lorenzo Build Thread

'99 Miata DD Build Thread

“If you’re not making someone else’s life better, you’re wasting your time.” -Will Smith

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
    Okay, here is a screen grab from Google maps:

More or less due north from Silver Lake Flat is what I presume you are calling the Milkmaid trail. Over to the right, Mary Ellen Gulch trail is clearly labeled as such. I presume the smaller trail in between them is Major Evans Gulch, and I guess that's the one you say is closed.

Is this all correct?
    The short trail with the "t" a few inches east of Silver Lake is Milkmaid, Googles map data set is obviously lacking as they don't show a road between that segment and the route heading north out of Silver Lake Flat.

The long and windy road heading north and east is Upper Major Evans Gulch. It does not connect with Major Evans (proper) and as noted its gated just as it enters the Upper Major Evans gulch, i.e. long before you get to those switchbacks in the upper bowl. Old and I mean like 1920's old maps do show what looks to be a connection with Upper Major Evans Gulch and the lower section but I can assure you it doesn't exist for a 4x4. A bike, maybe... on foot easily done but not happening in a 4x4 nor has it ever imo. Steve where I turned around when we road this on our bikes last fall is the literal turn around for the lower Major Evans Gulch (above the cemetery) route. There are a couple of neat mines, tram towers, cabin sites, etc to check out in that area but both trails are rather short and easily driven in a few hours or less. Google maps are a disservice in this case as a. they don't show you whats actually there and b. they don't show you what is legally open for motorized use.
    Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Your original outfitter for OME - ARB - AA - Safari - Helton - Engel - Since 1992
    Join us on Facebook
    ExpeditionUtah - A lifelong project of exploring Utah
    kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com

"You are truly the Justin Bieber of expedition" - JL Rockies

Still plays with cars TurboMinivan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiseroutfit View Post
    The Milkmaid Trail above Silver Lake Flat Reservoir can be a fun 4WD mandatory route but mostly in the form of loose and often wet rocks. There are some neat mines to spy if you know where to look.

The short trail with the "t" a few inches east of Silver Lake is Milkmaid, Googles map data set is obviously lacking as they don't show a road between that segment and the route heading north out of Silver Lake Flat.
    Thanks for all the info. I may have to head up there and take a look this summer.
    Dempsey Bowling
    Salesman @ Doug Smith Autoplex
    1998 Wrangler Sport: 4" longarm + 1" body, 35" KM2s, 4.56, dual ARBs, etc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12