Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do about a gas tank? Stretched YJ

What to do about a gas tank? Stretched YJ

So, I've got a YJ now. It's getting stretched-- about 4-5" in the back on leaves, and it's getting linked and stretched about a foot up front-- not sure just how much yet.

Looking it over, the rear stretch shouldn't be a problem but I'm having some difficulty thinking about the gas tank. Looking online, it looks like most people either put the tank in the "bed", or use the wicked-pricey GenRight tank, which I can't really justify at nearly $1k. The kids have threatened to smother me in my sleep if I leave the rear seat out, so I'm thinking about going to an under-seat tank.

Obviously that worked fine in earlier Jeeps and Land Cruisers, so can anyone think of any reason NOT to do this-- other than possibly range? Maybe I could run two? the seats will be mounted to the cage, so that should work out alright. Probably use that tube/pin slider arrangement.

anyway, anyone have any criticism, advice, etc before I start chopping?
    I cried like a 12 year old girl during The Notebook!-- Jeremy Pool

U4WDA * Blue Ribbon Coalition member * USA-ALL member * DO YOUR PART

2. We invite you to join our Off-Road Community!

Welcome Guest! Please take the time to join us. It's Free!

Registering is required for you to post on the forums. Joining (which is free) will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, search our forums, view full attachments, and other contents of RME4x4.com. It's free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click here to join our community!

If you are already a member of RME, please login above to gain full access to the site.

You ever look at Marc Bryson's YJ? He raised the tank by a few inches, gaining the room he needed and raising the seat a bit. It was a good way to keep the stock tank and get a stretch.
    Join - Participate - Donate

USA-All

U4WDA

Blue torch has one in the 850 range too. I went Genright because I got In on a free shipping deal. There are several universal type tanks that can be made to fit behind the seat too. I've also seen people online who just modify a stock skid plate for more clearance and heat form the plastic tank to fit inside..... The Genright tank is a very clean and simple install, and it keeps fuel and the associated smell/safety concerns OUTSIDE of the vehicle.

I have also seen the stock cut and heat mold to get by. Simple cut the shape needed into the skid plate. Take a heat gun and work the area on the plastic tank with some heat. Once you get it warmed up you stuff it into the reshaped skid plate. After several applications of heat and pressing it in the skid will reshape the plastic tank. Hell you want to go one cheaper get a second factory skid and stitch weld the two together for a pretty beefy skid on the cheap.

Squeeze an Explorer tank between the frame and rear driveshaft?
    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK
    CONgress - opposite of PROgress

I ended up making a tank - I used 10 guage and doubled the bottom for a skid plate. I had it bent up by a sheet metal place, then welded it together. To make room for a pushed back axle, I have thought of just cutting a 6" pipe in half (long ways, and welding that across the front of the tank (vertical) so the diff could move up without hitting. I think I put some pictures of the tank in my stretch thread....Don't regret making it at all.

.......a few dollars more mbryson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You ever look at Marc Bryson's YJ? He raised the tank by a few inches, gaining the room he needed and raising the seat a bit. It was a good way to keep the stock tank and get a stretch.

and the kids get a better view

Genright...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Unlimited Fabrication, LLC
    1096N 450W Unit 108
    Springville, UT 84663
    801-918-1737

Yj tank is plastic. There is a thread on ju about pushing the tank back and heating it and reforming it with the skid. Works well. We did it on a tj. Call me if you want.

RMEs Steering Source!
    RCI alum 15gal cell fits behind the back seat. You can mount the stock YJ sender/pump in it very easily.

Real rigs are built! hardline90's Avatar
    Sam's Off-Road make a cool stainless steel tank that fits behind the seat, 15 gal with bottom feed for an external fuel pump. What I use and works great.
    83' CJ-7, Work sucks, Let's go wheeling!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	564934_3282590963191_1091735914_n.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	76053 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	527700_3282592963241_451128607_n.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	76054 i went with the 19gal RCI2191A just because we go on longer runs and have a heavy right foot lol just flipped the seat brackets to move the rear forward and fits great also have used the 15gal 2162A and fits with no seat bracket flip, i opted to mount the pump in tank first to keep it running cool second i couldnt stand the sound of a frame mounted pump out on the trail all day then I modified the pickup to be more in the center and i still need a hose for the rollover port but you get the idea
    Last edited by JeepinGuru; 09-23-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Can anyone actually sit in that rear seat??? that looks awfully close to the seat back in that last pic.
    I cried like a 12 year old girl during The Notebook!-- Jeremy Pool

U4WDA * Blue Ribbon Coalition member * USA-ALL member * DO YOUR PART

Take your Rig to the Edge iamsparticus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clemsonkrawler View Post
    RCI alum 15gal cell fits behind the back seat. You can mount the stock YJ sender/pump in it very easily.
    id do this you could build a cover over the fuel cell and still be able to put stuff in the back

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
    Can anyone actually sit in that rear seat??? that looks awfully close to the seat back in that last pic.
    lol really no reason to put a seat in if you couldnt use it so yea in that pic the pass. seat is unbolted and leaning back while i was working on the shifter. seat is only about 1.5" forward from stock location
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	427788_3290352157216_858252164_n.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	76082 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	550460_3290363557501_2065342282_n.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	76083
    Last edited by JeepinGuru; 09-25-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    Wife's Jeep Build - "TIGRESS"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast