Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Most of this info is on some other boards, but I'm starting to get to know more of you local guys that on here on RME so I figured I'd share some build info.

Current state of my truck.

2003 Toyota Tacoma Doublecab TRD
3.4L 5VZE V6
Stock Auto Trans
Stock t-case
Open front diff
Rear TRD e-locker

ARMOR:
Trail-Gear Low Profile front bumper (with custom light mounts)
Trail-Gear Rock sliders
Custom home-built Rear bumper with dual swingouts
Custom home-built IFS Skidplate
Custom home-built trans skidplate
Custom home-built belly Skidplate
Custom home-built rear frame reinforcement plates

SUSPENSION:
OME 882 front coils
OME Nitrocharger Sport front shocks
JK 10mm Trim Packer
Cornfed front diff drop
OME Dakar rear leaf springs
OME D6XL extra leaf
OME Nitrocharger Sport rear shocks (relocated)
All-Pro 1.5" extended rear shackles
Trail-Gear U-bolt flip
EVCO custom extended rear SS brakeline

WHEELS/TIRES:
15x8" Ultra Motorsport En4Cer Type 181 wheels (rattle canned black)
33x12.50 Goodyear MTR Kevlars
33x10.50 BFG KM2 spare on factory 7" steel wheel

MISC MODS:
ARB Safari Snorkel
Optima Red Top Battery
Front Seat swap from Suzuki Reno
HELLA Optilux 7" HIDs (x3) on front bumper
Custom home-built bed rack
Tepui Autana RTT with Annex
Portable CO2 tank
Bed-mounted custom Fridge Slide
ARB Fridge
Custom bed-mounted bucket seats (seating for 7)
Snugtop XTR fiberglass topper
Uniden Pro 520xl CB radio
Alpine Deck
LED rock lights
Hella Matador rear utility light
Custom rear seat area deck for fridge etc.

I found this truck on KSL a few years ago for a great deal. It was clean and well maintained with pretty low miles (85K). Had a small leveling kit when I got it.

First order of business was suspension and sliders. Got all the suspension goodies from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and went to town.
Out with the old

In with the new

Old

New

I started out with OME shackles and found that I needed a little extra height and better load capacity so I added the extra leaf and longer shackles.

Box Rocket

bored
After the suspension was the sliders. I have a set of Trail Gear sliders on my 80 series Cruiser and they've taken some real abuse and held up well so I got another set for the Tacoma. Got them all welded up with frame plates and gussets.

Box Rocket

bored
I didn't like the silver wheels too much. The wheel itself wasn't bad but the finish had been messed up by some carwash chemicals. So out came the rattle cans and I painted them a high gloss black.

After that I started working on a bedrack.

And called Kurt at CO again and picked up a Safari Snorkel.

Box Rocket

bored
The truck needed some better protection so I took a weekend and built a rear bumper. I used some 3x5 rec tube for the main section, cut in a receiver and added some 2" tubing around the corners for a little bed protection.

After the rear bumper was done I picked up a Low Profile Rock Defense bumper from Trail Gear. I didn't like how open the top was and how much of the body stuff under the grill was exposed so I welded in some plate on the top to close it up some but left an opening for a winch and welded on some light tabs.

Box Rocket

bored
When I bought the truck it had some 32x11.50 BFG ATs on it. They were good but were getting low on tread. I was looking for something a bit more aggressive and was trying to avoid a bunch of fender trimming so I went with some 3x10.50 BFG KM2s. The narrower tire worked out great and didn't need any trimming.

Box Rocket

bored
For an upcoming long trip I needed some additional interior cargo space and a spot for my fridge that was secure. Built a simple deck to go in the rear seat area. I remove the rear seats (4bolts) when I want to use the deck and it mounts using the same holes.

Not long after that I was browsing KSL and found a Snugtop topper. I'd been watching for one for several months, but never found one that was the right color or that would fit a short bed like mine. Then one day one finally showed up that was for a short bed, and as luck would have it the right color too! New these things run about $2500. I picked it up from a dude in Vernal for $275. I was pretty pumped about that I must say. Good lines on the top, integrated roofrack, sliding/folding forward window, full carpet inside, dome light.

As you can see the weight of the new top was making my OME leaf springs sag. It was time to get the OME extra leaf added to the pack. Made a HUGE difference in load capacity and gave me about 1" more lift.

Box Rocket

bored
Time for phase 2 on the bed rack. Got the tie down tracks installed and was able to use some trick tie downs I got from an Air Force buddy. These came out of a C130. Full rotation and I can't even guess what the load rating is on these, definitely more than I'd ever need.

Picked up some surplus rocket boxes and sprayed them with bedliner to use for spare parts and recovery gear/tools. Added some tie down loops to them and turn buckles to hold them down.

And installed a bracket for my CO2 tank

Box Rocket

bored
Little wheel bling with some TRD stickers. :)

New rear Brake Proportioning Valve bracket to compensate for the lift. This is a BAMF product. High quality and super beefy. Totally overkill for what this is.

And decided to clean up my brake calipers. Pointless but oh well. :)

Box Rocket

bored
It was time to move the spare tire out from under the bed. So I built a tire carrier. I got a double shear face mount hinge from Comp4x4. Stupid simple with brass bushings and a 1" bolt. Super strong and swings smooth. Used a Destaco 2000lb latch.

Box Rocket

bored
I needed to get going on the rest of the armor. With bumpers done I needed to upgrade the skidplates from the flimsy stock ones. I picked up a few peices of 3/16" plate and went to town. I don't have a press brake, so I made the bends using the "whiskey bend" method of using a cutoff wheel to cut almost all the way through the plate, making the bend along the cut and then welding the seam back up. Worked out well and I was able to finish up my IFS skid plate pretty quickly. Mounts to the new front bumper cross member and to the steering rack mounting bolts and gives protection to the front diff and to the steering rack.

Box Rocket

bored
"whiskey bends" for my transmission skidplate.

welded a bracket to the transmission crossmember for the trans skid to mount to. The front of the trans skid bolts to the back edge of the front IFS skid.

Box Rocket

bored
Still needed to do a tcase skid. So I started with some massive brackets from Ruffstuff.

welded another bracket to the back of the trans crossmember to mount the front of the tcase skid and built a new crossmember into the rear of the skid that attaches to the frame using the Ruffstuff brackets. Skidplate has angled sides and rear and some extra bracing on the topside to keep it from bending.