1999 f250 super duty build thread.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
Just starting this thread..a year later lol. Pretty much I have gone superduty crazy and have been reading up on em every day and started moding it lol

This is my first diesel and loving it so far even with all the problems I have had..

My f150 was on its last legs and had no business pulling the bronco...
I lucked out and traded it for this 99 f250 powerstroke diesel with 230k miles. 3k on trans and 5k on the turbo.

here it is the day I got it..it had 4"down pipe then necks up into a 5" in&out high flow muffler back,new toyo A/T's and new 18" rockstar wheels, hybrid turbo, and a new built trans!

IMG_6117_zps709d0190.jpg

IMG_6123_zps15f7afb0.jpg

IMG_6120_zps822df9ff.jpg

IMG_6122_zps5b3c1438.jpg

Last edited:

broncomitch

Build a 05-07 with a 7.3 lol

everyone loved the flat bed...but It didn't fit my needs and traded it for a beat up stock bed.. (ACD really screwed me on that deal..)

more re posts to come.

broncomitch

Now, this was a work truck and was damaged from sliding off the road into a bunch of boulders and his Mexican workers figured they could get this 8k truck with a loaded 24' trailer.. Chain broke and took out the hood,grill, headlight, header panel, and bashed up the AC condenser...they eventually got it out but bashed in the bumper, fender,driver doors, and a big dent in the cab...well he claimed it on his insurance and they totaled it out, he bought it back and tried to sell it till I came along.

i got lucky and when I sent the title in it came back clean!

And then the within the first few weeks...
IMG_6228_zps7d2a702c.jpg

IMG_6227_zps1f7504bc.jpg

I was driving to work and hit a hill and stared building boost and then the motor just died and oil was dumping out the bottom of the motor..
The none service plug (witch is prone to blow out cus the threads are short) blew out..
IMG_6233_zps0b34da73.jpg

IMG_6236_zps34e1ad77.jpg

IMG_6246_zpsf87d7a85.png

And when I was pulling everything apart..I noticed this.
IMG_6142_zpsecf27603.jpg

The fitting inside started leaking and they tried to tighten it up, BIG MISTAKE! And broke the fitting off the fuel bowl and they JB welded it all together.

And started the mods lol

broncomitch

During the repairs I did the fallowing mods..
AIH delete,
foil delete,
UMP intake,
Zoodad mod,
FPR alum housing with black spring,
And Replaced all the O rings and fuel fittings on the motor and replaced the HPOP...I found out later I could have bought a longer threaded non service plug and fix my old one..

Also replaced the hood,bumper,driver door,and driver fender.

Rebuilt fuel bowl.
IMG_6278_zpse47c0bf0.jpg

Motor back together and all cleaned up!
IMG_6296_zps31702002.jpg

I also got headlights and grill from Bart! And she was looking good.
IMG_4875247674412_zps9065fef3.jpg

Last edited:

broncomitch

Now, I should just leave it alone but I can't very well do that hehehe

I picked up a 6.0 tranny cooler and 6.0 PS cooler, and 6.0 intercooler but have not put them in yet..

I also picked up the grill,headlights,header panel, air bag,power rear window, and up fitter switches out of a 06 6.0..and will be pulling out the dash also and swap that out also..

I plain on also swapping the 05-07 axles and suspension when I get my tax return. :)

at some point I'll send it to Claud's body shop to get the cab fixed and and repaint the ole girl..

20140103_181555_zpsf142074c.jpg

Now, I couldn't find a 05-07 front bumper so I had to cut the bottom of the grill and header panel to fit..

20140104_192713_zps10c8c005.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
20140104_1951000_zpsd1916ee4.jpg
[/FONT]

And I also picked up a smashed up shell for pretty cheap.
20140124_175138_zps3f9f76f7.jpg

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Interested in selling the 99-04 headlights (the ones from Bart?) I've got an Excursion that would be very happy with them... :)

broncomitch

Harpoon and hutch mod, I have not done this yet but it's on the table.

I'll be doing mine about the same but will be running a water separator filter and lift pump.
http://youtu.be/3qI-9XyT_WE
This is the filter mount I'll be getting..not sure on a fuel pump yet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WVO-BIO-Die...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f63dcee6&vxp=mtr

AIH delete,
The AIH is worthless and has probably never turned on in any truck..
It will not turn on unless the oil is at -20 or lower, in park with parking brake set, battery voltage is 12v or more, and I think you need your foot on the brake.
http://youtu.be/qwd4UVPYruw
Now, you have a few options here..you can get a boost plug, a cummins oil pan plug, or like I did and just cut the heating element off.

Zoodad mod,
Same goes for the 7.3 SD's, I put a wire mesh on mine.
I did notice my intake temps drop when I did this.

broncomitch

Now, the 6.0 trans cooler,
The only things you need are two adapters to go from 1/2" to 3/8" lines. Any hardware store would have what you need. The cooler bolts in place of the 7.3L cooler and it will knock your temps down about 20-50 degrees in normal conditions.
Pic says it all..
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
60transcoolervs73andV10_zpsdaf0d4c4.jpg
[/FONT]
I was lucky enough that when they built the transmission they put on the bigger V10 cooler that I'll have up forsale shortly.

6.0 IC not really a worth wile mod but It dose flow more and is a little bigger..
The swap is relatively inexpensive and not to time consuming. Used 6.0 intercoolers can be had on eBay for around $100-$125. The 6.0 IC is about 30% larger than the 7.3. The original 7.3 PSD intercooler measures 30x18x2 and the 6.0 PSD is 30x21x2.25.
Gonna be doing this soon, (just need to order the 6.0 boots from riffraff)
I am also considering the wicked wheel 2, claims of lower egt temps less surge and boost gain of 10 psi.
Here is a 6.0 and 7.3 IC
cooler1_zps041c4dae.jpg

Now I'm still researching this..

Some of these trucks randomly WILL NOT TURN AT A STOP!
No one knows why and some guys will even run hydro assist but I think the problem lies with the power steering pump..witch sucks even new.. Now I want a sag pump on it and I found a company that makes a kit to convert it over for a pretty good cost.
I figure one part of the problem is the PS cooler witch on the 7.3 is the smallest dang thing ever! And the 6.0 PS cooler is about 60% bigger and flows better and bolts right up.

Will have more info on this upgrade later..

And Bart, as for the dash upgrade, it's a pretty involved job, but any superduty dash will bolt right up from 99-2014, obviously the wiring and heater and vent tubing changes from 04-05&07-08.
The instrument clusters also changed, people have wired up the cluster and climate controls ect, but I can't find any wright up's on it and not going to mess with it.

When I do the dash swap I'm taking the easy way out and getting a 05-07 dash that will fit around my existing cluster so I won't need to change that..hopefully soon will be able to get the dash and get a wright up going on everything needed and such.

During the repairs I did the fallowing mods..
AIH delete,
foil delete,
UMP intake,
Zoodad mod,
FPR alum housing with black spring,
And Replaced all the O rings and fuel fittings on the motor and replaced the HPOP...I found out later I could have bought a longer threaded non service plug and fix my old one..

Also replaced the hood,bumper,driver door,and driver fender.

Rebuilt fuel bowl.
IMG_6278_zpse47c0bf0.jpg

Zoodad mod,
Same goes for the 7.3 SD's, I put a wire mesh on mine.
I did notice my intake temps drop when I did this.

Cool build!

I'm interested in the black fitting on the side of the fuel bowl...is that the pressure regulator? Where did you get it?

How did you measure the intake temperature? How much did it drop by? Did you measure it before putting in the intake? I've wanted to do this mod, but read conflicting reviews. I'd like to measure it on the fly with some kind of manual flap. Link goes to AIH delete mod, do you still have the zoodad link?

broncomitch

Watch "How-To F-350 Zoodad Mod .m4v" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txlvf89Fn64&feature=youtube_gdata_player
ry this one.

Its just a replacement housing that comes with different pressure springs black is 80psi
you can get it at diesel o rings.com or get a regulated return from riffraff.

I have the torque app for my gauges.. it shows what the computer see's from different sensors.
I dont remember the actual temps but seems like the under hood intake temps went down 15-30 degrees
Already had the intake on.

How does one choose which pressure springs to use? I'm only really interested because that little item may be one of the things that is causing an intermittent dying issue on mine when it is warm. It's either that, the IPR or the ICP. I have the latter two, I just need the regulator and then next time it acts up, I'll replace them until it runs. Or wait an hour until it starts again.

The torque app? What is that?

You indeed are a student of the Superduty.

broncomitch

Just personal preference...

is yours a 6.0 or 7.3? Cinda sounds like a HPOP problem or ICP..or even the classic CPS.

torque is a app that you download on your android powered phone or what not and get a OBD2 Bluetooth reader to talk to the computer.
You get boost, HPOP pressure, tranny temps, read codes, ect ect.
Best $30 I ever spent.

Don't cheap out, get this one.
http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-Engine-Diagnostics/dp/B005NLQAHS

Last edited:
Personal preference based on...?

Sweet, good info. Ordered. Thanks for the link.

It's the 7.3. 2002

Not the CPS. Or the PCM. But it could be any of those that you mention. Definitely a "when it's warm" issue.

No codes though. Just shuts off instantly; no smoke, no sputter, just nothing, like you turned off the key.

The IPR solenoid on the HPOP is the likely culprit, but I wanna know for sure so I'm waiting until it poops out again. Hopefully it's just the solenoid and I don't have to suck out the oil and replace the whole IPR.

Don't wanna hijack your build though.

broncomitch

Meh I don't care lol

normally the IPR just goes out.. The IPR is serviceable (apart from the solenoid) and I can't seem to find just the solenoid anywhere..
I saw a post on another forum of a guy that was having cinda the same problem and it was his HPOP..

The torque app will show the IPR duty cycle, HPOP psi, and you will need to fallow a few steps when you get the app for it to read most of the sensors on a powerstroke..

Probably a stupid question...have you changed your oil lately?