Archived antenna tuning party?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
So how many people need their antenna tuned before heading for moab? I have swr meters for both cb and 2 meter... I need to go my own and was going to go help a friend saturday but be derailed.... so post up here if you need it and maybe we can all meet at a park somewhere and get it take care of....

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I just use a magnetic base one. Do they hold their tune seeing as I may position it in a slightly different location each time?

gijohn40

the magnetic mount antenna as long as its properly tuned to the one radio will be ok with being moved around it will just change the signal pattern of the radio. it will changed the swr a little but not enough to matter once the antenna is tuned.

Marc I would be game for that...

STAG

On my grind
So I understand this right, to "tune" it you end up cutting some length off of the antenna right? How much on average gets cut off?

gijohn40

some times the antenna is to short so you need to add some.... usually there is a screw with a nut on the top and you adjust it up and down to make it tuned. or in the case of the magnetic mount ones there is a screw that allows the metal whip to be pulled in or out to tune it...

Hardcastle

I wouldn't mind meeting up Saturday and learn how to tune my radio. Truthfully i've never tuned any of my cb radios. They've all seemed to work ok but i'm sure it could be better.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So how many folks have we got? 5ish? How's 4-7 pm sound (I'm pretty flexible on time...just getting crap together for EJS next Friday---morning would work also)? Most importantly, how's that time work for John? I have a CB SWR meter, but not a 2-meter SWR meter. I'm an amateur at the tuning thing. Glad to help with some installs or whatever, though. John's the man :D

Shoot me a PM for my address in Woods Cross. If the weather turns out crappy we can utilize the garage. If it's good we can just hang in the backyard with an EZ-up for some shade.

Bring your own meat if you want to throw something on the grille. Otherwise we could just do a large Jimmy John's or pizza or something order for some chow. They know where we live

Last edited:

gijohn40

tomorrow I have to be at papa johns pizza at 4pm... so it would have to be in the morning.... and its suppose to rain tomorrow... can we do like 11am... when you tune your radio it is best if you do it in an open field... but we can do it on the street just fine...

gijohn40

ok so how many do we have coming to the party? do I need to stop and get pizza? lol

Marc I need your address.... I will txt you for it seeing I will be leaving here shortly to go do some errands....
John

gijohn40

I work tonight and so will be in your area Marc I can turn my radio on and when you are out and about txt me and we can check out the radios...