Considering a 2006 F350 Crew Cab

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
:greg:

Since my current state of population in My family is 6 (in August). I'm selling my Range Rover.

I don't like the Toyota for 4 wheeling. Many different reasons.

So I found a 2006 Crew Cab 4x4 PSD 6.0 Laramie that has had all the fixes done to the motor.

I think with a small lift, 35's and a rear locker it would be pretty good. I may add a winch later on and a flatbed / utility bed to the back.

Main reasons for this option:

Towing capacity
Solid Axles D60 front
Room inside
4 doors
Leather
Heated seats
Comfortable

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Imo even a 'fixed' 6.0 is still an expensive motor to maintain and repair. I would search the interwebs to get an idea of what to expect. Plenty of people out there that like the 6.0. I just prefer simple personally.. even common rail scares me. As for the rest of the package you may need to adjust your offloading style a bit because of the size and length of the truck but given your needs I think you're on track. I love my F350 I don't take it on 'trails' but I do spend a lot of time out in the dirt with it. For my needs it's tough to beat it when it comes to getting out and camping with the family.

Heck I even like the 8' bed. Here's why--some can relate I'm sure :rolleyes: :hickey:

[video=youtube;G1CYg0vIygE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1CYg0vIygE[/video]

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Here's why--some can relate I'm sure :rolleyes: :hickey:

This is why we have to have a 5th wheel, and not a tent. My wife couldn't handle not packing 'enough' for the kids. 3 outfits per day/per kid/per possible weather condition. that equals about 15 outfits a day per kid. plus every blanket and coat we own.. you know, just in case.

However, we did get stuck once and had to use some of the 'extras' she brought. She got to use 'I told you so', and now has backing to validate her over preparedness.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Imo even a 'fixed' 6.0 is still an expensive motor to maintain and repair. I would search the interwebs to get an idea of what to expect. Plenty of people out there that like the 6.0. I just prefer simple personally.. even common rail scares me. ....[/video]

This camp agrees with the above as well. The 6.0L trucks are awesome trucks with a sketchy motor..... Unfortunate, but true

I'll be looking at the lifted locked '02 that's on here.

This one, any day over an '06 6.0
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?102804-2002-7-3L-F350-4x4-CC-SB-Lifted-Lockers-139k-new-trans-injectors

Last edited:

wheelewagon

In 06 the 6.0 was rated the least problematic diesel on the market. Ya they took A few years to work out the kinks, but they became pretty solid. Even the older 06's weren't as horrible as people made them. They just needed the injectors replaced. When you here about people having to do hole engine swaps of the older 6.0's that was why. They didn't notice the signs and the injectors leaked, getting where they shouldn't and eventually womp wo bad motor. More and more people are realizing how good they actually are because I've noticed that the prices of them have gone up a lot. 2 years ago you could pick an earlier yeat one up for 6k all day long, now they're closer to 16k.

STAG

On my grind
Like the others have said, a "fixed" 6.0 will still cost you some put of pocket, but that's still in my opinion just the cost of owning a diesel, and each diesel motor has their own regular maintenance needs.

Run injector cleaner regularly and keep on top of your fuel filters. I'm a fan of the Lucas stuff, but there are other good ones out there.

I have had my fair share of 6.0 experience, probably putting a total so far of 200k+ miles on them (spread out over a couple different trucks)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I miss the '07 PDS CCLB I traded for my JK every day. It was so big and comfortable, gobs of power... Was just a huge hassle to commute downtown in and I didn't need the towing capacity. I think putting 6 in there will not be much fun but life is all about compromises.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Well, I got it anyway. Its a very solid, 1 owner truck. It has an Edge CTS Juice w/ Attitude Tuner in it.

Its on 285/65/18's, no lift.

And that is about it. Its an FX4, Lariat.

I've put about 150 miles on it and just dropped under 1/8 of a tank. NOT BAD for a huge truck.

Does anyone know if they 10.5 Sterling rear end comes with a limited slip? Where can I get info on the FX4 package?

Thanks

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
so, i'll start a new build thread eventually. still not sure what I'm going to do, but I'll be somewhat fun. I want to put as big as a tire on it as I can with only a leveling kit. And then some nice Bilstien shocks. The stock Ranchos kind of suck, not bad, but not as refined as Bilstiens.

I took my CB out of my Range Rover, Its sold.

I'd like to eventually shorten the wheel base and get a utility bed, roof top tent, front ARB Bumper, and a Winch. And I think that'll do it. it has what every wannabe Expeditionary explorer needs: Diesel and Dual batteries. I'm set. Oh, wait, I need a fridge too. Maybe I can get one at LOWES! :rofl:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I had this page bookmarked for my '07 which I found pretty useful for occasional reference. I didn't see that there was one for 2006 but I don't imagine there is too much different between the model years. Also, don't know if you would be interested but I still have my Kicker sub box and Kicker amp (think it was this one...) sitting in my garage that fit behind the rear seat I'll let go for cheap. I don't see myself installing them into my JK since I am already hurting pretty bad for space. They aren't crazy powerful or anything but did give a nice bump from stock. Pretty sure I have all the wires kicking around too.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Ha, that's funny, I had one like that in my Range Rover. I took it out and was trying to decide what vehicle to stick it in. Truck or the commuter BMW

........ Also, don't know if you would be interested but I still have my Kicker sub box and Kicker amp (think it was this one...) sitting in my garage that fit behind the rear seat I'll let go for cheap. I don't see myself installing them into my JK since I am already hurting pretty bad for space. They aren't crazy powerful or anything but did give a nice bump from stock. Pretty sure I have all the wires kicking around too.

Cherokeester

You can fit 35's with a leveler I also use a truck camper, nope no hard ground for me I also take a hot shower, cook breakfast then head out not breaking a sweat. I love my 04 6.0.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I probably will. How much are those things worth used?

It was set to Tow mode. And was blowing lots of black smoke anytime I stomped on it. I changed it to Transmission shift points only. No more smoke. My mileage seems pretty good with it in that setting. Wish I could ditch the cat. But I don't think i'll pass emissions like that.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
wait, I just figured out I can stick a slide in camper in the back for the same price as a RTT. HA! and it has a Fridge. LOL

Yep. Mine was $250 on KSL. Oh not just a fridge but a furnace too :cool:

Good looking truck. Sounds like we all need to plan a full size party with the kidlets soon :D

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Ha, that's funny, I had one like that in my Range Rover. I took it out and was trying to decide what vehicle to stick it in. Truck or the commuter BMW

Its a tight fit behind the bench seat but it'll fit. You have to trim some of the carpet out that bulges on the back wall but it'll go.

If I had a JKU I think I'd install it but I'm fighting to get everything in my rig as it is for camp outings.

I had 35's with stock suspension in mine and didn't rub at all. Not sure if you can get 37's without work though. Only issue I had while "off roading" it was I popped the vacuum line on the driver front hub that went to the push button 4wd. It took me forever to figure out what I had done but the hose was really close to the coil spring and must have gotten pinched. I lost AC (would only route air out of defrost ducts) in Moab last June and it was hot, also had to manually lock the front hubs.

I had an Edge Insight for vital monitoring, I don't know much about the Juice but depending on how much you can get out of it, might be worth keeping just to keep an eye on everything even if you disable the "tunes."

Last edited: