SUP's any experience?

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
So over the last little while I have been eyeing SUP's (Stand Up Paddleboards). Anyone here do this? I'm specifically curious about rigid vs. inflatable's.

sixstringsteve

Sea Eagle is sending me one of their inflatables for review. You're welcome to take it out for a spin one of these days in exchange for your thoughts that I can use in the review.

XJEEPER

I've used rigid paddle boards before at LP and they are very stable. They come in various shapes and sizes, logically the longer and wider the board, the more stable it is, but also requires more effort to move.
One can rent rigid boards at Jordenelle http://www.jordanellerentals.com/paddle-boarding/ and at Rockport State Park http://utahsurfrentals.com/ if you want to try them out, maybe do a side-by-side comparo with the rigid vs inflatable that Steve in going to loan you.........

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I've been on rigids before. But I'm looking to buy one, and the inflatables are very appealing to me because it'll fit inside as opposed to strapping an 11' board to the roof. I may have to take you up on that offer Steve, that is if I don't just order one today on a whim. It's sitting in my amazon shopping cart right now.

sixstringsteve

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
It's the Isle 12'6" The extra length would be nice for buoyancy when I throw a kid on there with me. I guess I'm just worried about the top not being stiff enough.

I've also been looking at the Laird SUP's so I'm not opposed to throwing some money at this if I can get added quality.

sixstringsteve

if it uses a drop-stitch floor, I wouldn't worry about it being noodly at all. The drop stitch floor on our IK was instanely stiff.

Last edited:

Hardcastle

I’ve used a few SUP’s and have really liked the sport. Currently own an NRS brand inflatable. I was very skeptical that an inflatable would be worthwhile but I think if you buy a quality one you’ll be fine. In my opinion not having to store and transport an 11’ long board is worth the minor performance loss. I’m 220 pounds and at 15 psi my board doesn’t bow at all. I’ve had myself and 2 small kids on there at once and still paddled around ok. My feet were in the water but you could still balance and move around.. Hopefully that helps you make up your mind.

Did anyone else make a move on these?

Steve, Did you get your eval yet?

I'm getting pretty serious about testing some out and starting the investigation/shopping process (can be very long for me - just ask my wife). I'm interested in them more for leisure than anything. We live on a little lake and this would be nice to just go out on in the evening. I guess for around here, a hard one would be good, but I'll probably favor inflatable so I can take it with me jetskiiing and what not. I'm going to borrow some from my neighbor and try them out on our lake. She rents them out, but they are free on Monday nights!

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I miss the lake up there. My house just sold up there on Thursday. I'm buying an inflatable SUP tomorrow or Tuesday. I've narrowed it down to about three models.

I miss the lake up there. My house just sold up there on Thursday. I'm buying an inflatable SUP tomorrow or Tuesday. I've narrowed it down to about three models.

Yep - The lake and good neighbors are the main reasons we stick around. Please let us know which SUP you buy and give us a short review after you get it! I'm anxious to hear!

sixstringsteve

Did anyone else make a move on these?

Steve, Did you get your eval yet?

I'm getting pretty serious about testing some out and starting the investigation/shopping process (can be very long for me - just ask my wife). I'm interested in them more for leisure than anything. We live on a little lake and this would be nice to just go out on in the evening. I guess for around here, a hard one would be good, but I'll probably favor inflatable so I can take it with me jetskiiing and what not. I'm going to borrow some from my neighbor and try them out on our lake. She rents them out, but they are free on Monday nights!

Paddles are in, but the SUP arrives tomorrow. You're welcome to come by and borrow it for some testing.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I went with the Isle 12'6" I was seriously considering a few others, but I felt like this will give me what I want. We should plan a SUP day in the next while.

sixstringsteve

Awesome. I would love to do a paddle day. I'm planning on taking mine out Monday night up on Silver Lake Flats. You're welcome to join us.

I wonder how these would do on a river like the provo. I know mine's meant for flatwater, but I'll bet I could get it down the river ok.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Getting excited, mine will be here on Wednesday.

[video=youtube;VSaOnQCOiNk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSaOnQCOiNk&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

[video=youtube;CGO-Jy6UE_4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGO-Jy6UE_4&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

i want to see you fly fish from yours. :)

I want to do a kayaking overnighter trip at powell through those narrow slot canyons.