Introducing "Expy" the Expedition...

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
When searching for a vehicle, I had a short list of requirements..
1- had to be capable of light offroading. We would like to visit much more of Utah, and it needed to handle places like the Swell and such.
2- had to be able to hold enough gear for a family of 5 to do at least 1 or 2 nights on the trial.
3- had to be independent front suspension.
4- had to be cheap.

I put my mind on an expedition, and decided to give it a shot. I researched it a bit, and found that a 3" lift was cheap, and easy to come by. once lifted they had enough ground clearance to be very suitable for offroad.

I found a great deal on an '03 expedition and pulled the trigger.

IMG_2467.jpgIMG_2466.jpgIMG_2464.jpg

She came with a little dent in the plastic, but I think it will pop out.
IMG_2465.jpg

The expedition has 3rd row seating that folds down, and will provide plenty of room for our gear for a over night trip. I am planning on building a drawer/platform setup that will leave one of the back seats down at all times, but will allow the other 2 seats to pop up and be occupied if needed.

The first order of business was to be tires and a lift kit. We have a trip planned in December, and will need it ready. I was reading a couple last reviews on lifting the expedition, and found one feller who says the A-arms become too angled, and the balljoint gets stressed once lifted. No one else had said this, but it caused me some hesitation, especially after coming off of our jeep issues. So the lift is on hold until I can research and put eyes on one that has been lifted.

However, it sits low and I would like all I can get. I picked up some wider rims to run larger tires, and then picked up some used tires to run until I can decide on lift or no lift. These are the rims we got, and the tires going on are 285/70r17's

IMG_2469.jpg

We are looking forward to putting many miles on this expedition, and hope it is up for the task.

rholbrook

I have owned two Expeditions and have loved them. I will be ordering a new one after the first of the year with an Eco-boost. They are harder to lift with the independent rear suspension

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I had a 98 expedition with a 4 inch lift and 35 inch tires that I loved. I took it down some pretty mean trails in colorado some that people with jeeps thought I was crazy for doing. but I loved it!

DSC00765.jpgexpedition small.jpg

The first pictures is of it stock just before I took it up top of the world then down rose garden hill... the second was in 04 after the lift and new tire while I was at fort carson colorado.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I put some wheels and tires on Expy tonight. (pics to come in daylight), and was surprised when I pulled the rear wheel off. I should have realized, but I guess I didn't think it through yet.

IMG_2481.jpg

I have a CV axle on the rear wheel. :-\

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
i think in 04 they went to fully independent suspension on the Expeditions. When they went to the newer body style, they did away with the solid rear axle.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
'03 was the body style switch (ours is '03). I have never had independent rear suspension, so it wasn't in my brain to expect to see a CV bolt.

sixstringsteve

independent rear can be really comfy on bumpy roads. I miss the ride of my old IFS/IRS montero. That thing rocked on washboards and bumpy roads.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Here are a couple shots with the wheels and tires.

IMG_2484.jpgIMG_2483.jpg

I ordered a 1" leveling kit for the front this morning. We'll see how it does in helping the front get up a little more.