Comanche Pre-runner Build

Tan Comanche

Desert Speed Shock Tuning
Howdy friends. Generally my projects are really camera shy, so this is actually my first time with a documented build...here we go...

You may have seen this posted for sale; an off-road enthusiast bought it from me and asked me to build it up for him.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426822461.933394.jpg

It is going to get a full cage, triple bypasses in the rear, coilovers in the front, 4.3L & 700R4 swap, Some fiberglass, other misc things.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426822640.080873.jpg

Tear down

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426822675.909028.jpg

Interior gutted

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426822720.297864.jpg

B-pillar installed, and yes I know it is crooked. It is just resting in place.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426822781.207926.jpg

Outer frame rails plated

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426822806.638787.jpg

Inner frame rails plated
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426822834.489020.jpg

Plated and dimpled-died inner C's.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426822876.884294.jpg

ZJ outer C's swapped onto beam axle. New calipers, pads, rotors, unit bearings. The ZJ pads have way more surface area than the stock MJ ones. Between this and the in-cab proportioning valve it should work really well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426823075.365633.jpg

Oh yeah, 12" long travel desert style shackles.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426823126.652741.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426823126.652741.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Looks killer are you planning on running stub shafts still? the unit bearings come apart with the stubshaft holding it together.

crosbike

Looks good. The plating is very similar to what i have done to my manche. Any plans for reinforcing the leaf spring mounts? When i did mine half the spot welds on one side of my rear leaf hangers had 0 penetration holding it to the frame. i would of ripped that mount right off

Tan Comanche

I have already built new spring hangers of 1/4" plate and the're burned in solid, of course. When I swapped the 64" springs in I had to move everything around. The 12 shackles in the rear are what I'm stoked for. It will ride Cadillac style. [emoji41]

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So cool!!

If you want even bigger brakes and factory crossover steering knuckle you can use WJ outer knuckles and the JKS weld on spacer to convert back to 5x4.5" unit bearings. They have really nice BIG Akebono Calipers on the limiteds and 4.7s from the factory.

Are you getting Hannemans? 6" flair flat tops and a 97+ front or Chinese front clip would look great on that!

Last edited:

Tan Comanche

Likely...I really like their glass. Gotta find out what the customer wants. I like the idea of the WJ parts, that was my suggestion, but it was put on hold for now. It will get disk conversion in the rear and in-cab proportioning valve so that should be "enough". Is it ever really enough?

crosbike

I was looking into hannemann glass too. Shipping was a killer for me tho. Keep the updates coming. Hybrid exo cage or full inside?

Tan Comanche

Full inside with engine cage and tube into the flat bed area. The rear is still undecided. I'd like to use some comanche fiberglass bedsides that can dzus on and off quickly. Thoughts/suggestions anyone?