KTM 300 Database

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Well, there are enough of us on the board now riding the best bike ever made:D I figured it would be good to have a thread with things that work and don't work on the 300 like Jetting, head milling, pipes, tires suspension. A one stop shop to compare setups.

I'll start with my current setup that is working really well after fighting jetting for a bit.

Bike 2012 300xc
gnarly pipe
FMF Turbine core 2 silencer
Milled head (not sure of the milling specs, just told it was milled when I bought it)
Yellow spring turned flush
Jetting
162 main
35 pilot
N2ZL needle on 3rd clip
This worked great at 4-5k elevation with temps in the 60's
Bottom middle and top were super crisp.

Suspension is stock and works OK.

I'm running Bridgstone battlecross tires X30 tires. The front sucks. The rear hooks up ok and is wearing pretty well.
I run 10 psi in both tires.

I have a scotts stabilizer that will go on once I get a mount. Anyone have recommendations for which mount they like?

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
2013 300 xc
pro circuit platinum pipe
p3 carbon pipe guard
ktm power parts fmf silencer
Milled head 20 thousandths
Red power valve spring turned flush
acerbis plastic skid plate
cycra hand guards

My jetting currently is
160 main
35 pilot
N2ZL needle in position 3
Air screw 2 turns out.

Flexx Bars
Fastway Stabilizer

Notch Peak Suspension valved and sprung for me (while in shape, so I need to drop 10 lbs)
I love the suspension and have recommended to a few friends that love it now.

I run bib mousses front and rear so I don't have a tire pressure.
I am currently running Dunlop at81 front and rear. They last forever but they're a little slick on steep rock and a little loose in high speed corners so I will be switching back to something softer for racing. The mx51 and 52 was sold out so I tried these. Overall happy.
I run warp 9 wheels for racing and the stock excel's for trails.

All my my plastics are acerbis and they hold up and fit great. I also have an acerbis x seat. It's super grippy but let's you move around.

My bike currently has 110 hours and will go up for sale the end of this season if there's any interest. ;)

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
2013 300xc
FMF Gnarly Pipe with P3 carbon Fiber pipe guard
FMF Turbine Core in the desert/FMF Q Stealth for the mountains & Idaho City
Head milled 20 thousandths
Red PV spring turned in a couple turns
Aluminum skid plate
Obie linkage guard
Scotts Stabilizer
Flexx Bars
Enduro engineering moto roost hand guards
ARC Melamin composite brake and clutch levers
Attack Graphics Pro Series gripper seat cover

Jetting changed according to temp/elevation based on what the table in the book says.
Suspension-I don't know where to begin with it other than to direct you to www.nostsuspension.com and read up on N10Z valves. Best suspension I have ever had......

I have been running a mix of Bridgestone and Kenda tires depending on the conditions. When it comes to tires for racing, I have given up on durability in favor of traction.
I have been running Tubliss with around 10-12 lbs for the last 6 months without any issue. The one time I got a flat, it was not bad since the Tubliss holds the bead on the rim and the tire does not roll as bad when flat.
Warp9 rims that have held up very well to my abuse.

My bike currently has around 175 hours on it (65 on the new top end) and is going to be for sale as soon as I get it back from being in California. Since I am off the bike, Pete wanted it to do some suspension R&D.

Last edited:

ricsrx

2008 300 xc

can I ask technical questions?

after my son road it all day it will not start, I have the reklus so I cant push start, when kicking it feels like it has compression but I will be testing that tonight. has spark, new plug, has fuel....no go

other than that, it is a great bike

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
2008 300 xc

can I ask technical questions?

after my son road it all day it will not start, I have the reklus so I cant push start, when kicking it feels like it has compression but I will be testing that tonight. has spark, new plug, has fuel....no go

other than that, it is a great bike
2 strokes are simple so as long as you have fuel+air+spark it should start. My guess since you have checked spark, is that there may be some dirt clogging the pilot jet and it is not actually getting any or enough fuel out of that circuit to fire.

Let me know what compression results are.

ricsrx

2 strokes are simple so as long as you have fuel+air+spark it should start. My guess since you have checked spark, is that there may be some dirt clogging the pilot jet and it is not actually getting any or enough fuel out of that circuit to fire.

Let me know what compression results are.

Thanks Paul
btw, what do you run the gap at on your plug? the spark seamed week but it was definitely there, and i gave it a shot of wd40 first then starting fluid with the air filter off and no fire

Last edited:

ricsrx

and from the add when i bought the bike from Greg

Rekluse EXP 2.0
Highway Dirtbikes Handguards w/ folding mirror
HDB Bar Risers (currently setup for a tall rider) and i love them!
3.7 Gal IMS Desert tank
Trail Tech X2 Torch Offroad Halogen headlight
JD Jetting kit
TrailTech Ignition Map switch on bars
Slavens Air Screw on carb, for easy tuning
Pro Taper KX High bend bars
MSR Extended throttle cable
Hyde Racing pipe guard/skid plate + an extra
Acerbis plastic skid plate
Trail Tech exhaust flange protector
Slavens Racing SX cylinder head
FMF Q-Stealth Silencer w/ spark arrestor
Bib Mousse in front with Scorpion Pro F.I.M. tire - in good shape
HD Tube in rear with Maxxis Desert IT - in OK shape, will need a new tire eventually
Trail Tech Endurance II Speedometer
Enduro Engineering case/slave guard
Upgraded aluminum water pump impeller
Higher pressure radiator cap
Evans Waterless Coolant
KTM Powerparts Comfort seat

rholbrook

Happened to me last week. Didn't realize how long the reserve tube was in the tank valve. I thought it had plenty of fuel in it. Put the bike on reserve and it fired up again. My nephew had a hole burned in the piston when his acted link that. So many possibilities.

rholbrook

Thanks Paul
btw, what do you run the gap at on your plug? the spark seamed week but it was definitely there, and i gave it a shot of wd40 first then starting fluid with the air filter off and no fire
I put three of them in my pack last week. Manual suggests a NGK BR 7 ES gapped at 0.60 mm (0.0236 in)

rholbrook

2011 KTM 300 XC

2011 KTM 300XC
Approx 70 hrs since top end rebuild
Slavens Mule High Compression Component Cylinder Head Kit http://slavensracing.com/shop/slavens-mule-high-compression-component-cylinder-head-by-s3/
GPR 4 Steering Stabilizer with under bar mount raising bars
Cycra Moto Bend Handshields
Gold Spring turned out flush. I keep saying I will put the red in and fart around with it but haven’t felt I needed to. Maybe next ride. I love how tuneable these bikes are with the power valve.
V Force 4 Reed
Rekluse Z-Start Pro
Pilot: 35
Needle: NECW (Suzuki). Clip 2nd from top
Main: 165
Starter has the oil/breather hose mod to it.
Ox Left Hand Brake http://www.oxbrake.com/product/ox-brake-lhrb/
Ox Throttle Tube (pre-production) More precise low end throttle response allegedly. I have not ridden with it yet. (Edit). Love it. Huge difference in cleaning up the sputter on bottom end
Motz Mountain Hybrid Rear Tire(no rides on it as of yet)
Tubliss (rear)
Stock Pipe and Silencer
Hour Meter
Suspension (PO says he had it serviced and valves modified some, whatever that means. I suspect it is stock)
SuperSprox Sprockets 13 front and stock rear. Chain?

Future: Pipe and spark arrestor, tubliss in front when front tire needs replacing and LED headlight

I love the setup I have on this bike, fits this fat old man perfectly. When I need a new front tire, it will get Tubliss as well. May even but a Trials front tire on it. Had a hard time leaving Moto tires, we will see how I like the Motoz Mountain Hybrid. The S3 head really cleaned up the bottom end.

Last edited:

ricsrx

Thanks Paul

45psi...... :(

all torn down, definite ware on the cylinder and rings

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
How many hours on that top end? Was running great is pretty irrelevant to actual conditions. I know Greg did not put a lot of hours on that bike but it was probably due when he had it. If you want or need to have the cylinder re-plated I can save you some money with my shop account I opened with Millennium Plating.

The good news is that the top end on these bikes are cheap to rebuild and you may as well take 20 thousandth off the head while you have it apart.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I don't remember how many hours were on it when I sold it but the piston was still stock (IIRC?) and it's an '08.

It does have the SX head, so he'd better leave it alone. Hell, if you want Rick... I'll buy it back. :rofl: I do miss the 300!

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I don't remember how many hours were on it when I sold it but the piston was still stock (IIRC?) and it's an '08.

It does have the SX head, so he'd better leave it alone. Hell, if you want Rick... I'll buy it back. :rofl: I do miss the 300!

Stock piston :eek:........yeah it is due for a top end. Here are my recommendations.
1. Get with Caleb on the following parts....he can save you some $$ on them with his dealer account.
A. Vertex piston
B. Cometic or OEM base & head gaskets
C. OEM wrist pin bearing
2. Clean all the carbon build up off of the Power valve. If it has never had a top end done on it, I am sure it is way over due. Slavens racing has some great how to videos on this.

https://youtu.be/EwSnE04l9Zo

https://youtu.be/RCoJQE-xw1w

https://youtu.be/AvLUSh_nHbY

3. Let me know if you need to replate the cylinder. I will look for sure, but cost to have the nikasil re done is around $200 plus shipping each way. If the nikasil is still good, you can re cross hatch it with a light honing with a 400 grit diamond ball hone. If you go this route, there is a particular hone I recommend you use, so let me know.

The 20 thousandths off the XC head basically gives you SX compression......so yeah, leave it alone.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Awesome replies guys. It's amazing how different everyone's setup is.
I love the 300. I feel way faster on it and several of my friends say they have to push harder to keep up. 2 strokes just want to go fast;)