2016 YZ250....X!!

D

Deleted member 12904

I like it but at $8500 I would like to see electric start and a headlight. A 6 speed would be ideal but I would settle for a wide 5 with the magic button in a Yamaha

Caleb

I like it but at $8500 I would like to see electric start and a headlight. A 6 speed would be ideal but I would settle for a wide 5 with the magic button in a Yamaha

You mean $7400, right?

Still, I think it's the same old story as it always is with the Japs, too little too late. This is going to be a sweet bike for the brand loyalists though. :)

D

Deleted member 12904

You mean $7400, right?

Still, I think it's the same old story as it always is with the Japs, too little too late. This is going to be a sweet bike for the brand loyalists though. :)

Ya I looked at the 450 msrp. So $7500 is better. I'm just hooked on the magic button

rholbrook

The 250CCs are fine on a two stroke. The KTM 250 actually is smoother than the 300. I have spent some time in the saddle of both a 250XCW and a 250XC and I would actually be fine with a 250. A 250 thumper I wouldn't be happy with. I love the magic button but a two stroke is really easy to kick start. I also love how much you can modify the power delivery with the power valve springs and screw on the KTM. I don't know how adjustable the YZ is, I like the 6 speed tranny on my KTM but it's not a deal breaker depending on how the wide ratio gears are on the YZ. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the same gear ratio as the WR450. My FIL has a 1994 WR250 smoker and is fun to ride and the gears were fine on that 5 speed and it had plenty of power.

I would be interested on how many watts the stator had and if it would power a headlight As it sits, it not that far off. There was a 300 kit that Yamaha actually sold a couple of years ago. I used to have all the Yamaha part numbers for the kit. I think it was made by Athena and it wasn't priced too high if a 300 CC bike was that important to you. The YZ arguably handles better than the KTM and has a better suspension and is easier to dial in. I think once you start thinking about this YZ it's going to sell for Yamaha

djgardner

I just hope they got the suspension right...hopefully its closer to the YZ than the WR. I'm not sure Jap manufacturers understand what off road race suspension is. There is no sparky, and no headlight, so I assume they are selling it as an off road race bike, so I HOPE the suspension is valved accordingly (not MX suspension...but not the crappy suspension on the WR's).

If they got the suspension right, so it can be raced without a revalve (like you can do on the KTM XC suspension)...if they got that right...and the tranny isn't to "gappy", it will be a GREAT bike and they will sell a lot of them. If the suspension sucks, and the transmission doesn't work, it will flop.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Russ calls Yamaha and tells them to build a 2 stroke off road bike last year. This year they build one. Coincidence? I think not.

Russ, call then back, tell them to put a spark arrestor and a headlight on it for next year.

djgardner

Russ calls Yamaha and tells them to build a 2 stroke off road bike last year. This year they build one. Coincidence? I think not.

Russ, call then back, tell them to put a spark arrestor and a headlight on it for next year.

It doesn't have a sparky for the same reason KTM's XC line doesn't have one...it allows them to avoid a ton of emissions red tape, but they put a sparky on it, it can't be classified as a closed course competition bike and they have to put all the emission garbage on it.

I'm not sure all the details on that, the KTM sales guy said that was why the XC's don't come with a sparky.

rholbrook

Russ calls Yamaha and tells them to build a 2 stroke off road bike last year. This year they build one. Coincidence? I think not. Russ, call then back, tell them to put a spark arrestor and a headlight on it for next year.
Yeah right, Yamaha told me to pretty much go do something to myself that I am physically not limber enough to do. It is a step in the right direction though

djgardner

Everyone I know complains that the stock ktm xc suspension sucks without a revalve... is there something I don't know?

You could be right, I was under the impression it was hard to dial in, but that it was great once you got it figured out (Josh Knight runs stock stuff with no revalve)...but I haven't paid much attention, so I could be wrong...the 2016 stuff is SUPPOSED to be better. I've been looking into the 2016's as I'm looking at a 2016 350 or 300, so I've only recently started looking into it.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
That's the same boat I may take, but a Husqavarna
The valving in the Husky is different than the XC KTM. Everybody seems to say the Husky 4CS forks work better out of the box than the KTM XC 4CS. Suspension is such a personal thing that what works for one person, does not work for another. The set up I had done on my bike this winter by NOST worked great for me and the way I rode. I gave that suspension to Mike before I sold my bike. For him he says it is much more predictable than what he was running but is a little stiff for him.

djgardner

That's the same boat I may take, but a Husqavarna

Its a shame the 350 is a grand more than the 300.

But if the XC suspension needs a revalve anyway...I might just get the 350sx as its cheaper than the 350 xc (but no kick start...a Rekluse clutch and no kickstart...I'm not sure I can deal with that. lol)

rholbrook

Its a shame the 350 is a grand more than the 300.

But if the XC suspension needs a revalve anyway...I might just get the 350sx as its cheaper than the 350 xc (but no kick start...a Rekluse clutch and no kickstart...I'm not sure I can deal with that. lol)
Have you spent time on a 350? I keep trying to tell Stratton he won't be happy with one. If you both were fat old men like me, you would like them. I really think you would be dissappointed with where the power comes on at. Its too high up in the RPM. Its way better than a 250 4T but nothing like a 450. You literally have to ride the 350 for 10 min and then get on a 450 for 10 and then back on the 350 to understand what I'm talking about. Granted, there are guys out there that love the 350s. I'm just not one of them. I have a buddy that bought a 300XCW and it scarred the hell out of him, bought a 350 and loved it. He bought a FreeRide last fall and barely sold his 350 because he loves his FreeRide more.