Becoming a minimalist

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Being a minimalist is different for every one, and may not be for everyone. I have started my own journey, and thought it would be fun to share and have others share.

I have had a few personal insites into myself over the past few months that have helped me to begin my journey.

First: my mother has soo much random stuff in storage. She believes that each of the times are important and needed. A few months ago my brother read a study that showed personal clutter is associated with emotional disorders. It made total sense in the case of my mother.
Recently Tess said in a video that she found her physical clutter to relate directly to her emotional clutter. Once the physical clutter was gone, so was the emotional. This was a great statement, and hit the head on the nail for me.

Second: I tend to hang onto stuff because of a pecieved value.. That most the time doesn't actually exist.
For example: when computers were a new thing, they cost a lot of money and lasted a long time. Now computers are cheaper and do not last long. I hord computer parts because I think they have a value. When in reality, they are 10+ years old, and are worth nothing.
I realized a couple months ago that a computer is simply a disposable item, similar to a harbor freight tool, and it changed my life. I learned not to trust the computer to save all my important files, and to store them elsewhere. I now have no emotional attachment to computers and can throw away and replace them with ease. My personal and emotional items that I thought the computer provided are not actually tied to the computer.

Third: this morning I was looking at my hat collection. It is often in my way, I have not worn most of the hats since high school. Some of them I have never worn. I have 1 or 2 that i love and wear often. The rest are just there. Then BOOM!! Lightbulb moment. When I was 8 or 9 years old a neighbor has a hat room. His walls were covered in his hats. He loved his hats. I wanted to be like him someday.
.. Many many years later.. I don't care to have a hat room. I don't want to even have the hats.. But I still keep them, because little 8 year old me wanted them. Now that I have realized where and why I have received this hat collection idea, I can recognize that I don't care for it and can let it go.. And QUICKLY!

I have a lifestyle that does require me to keep many items on hand. Both work, family, church, and personal reasons will never allow me to be a true 'minimalist', but I am sure excited about continuing to identify items that can be improved.

I currently have 3 chainsaws. Each has fulfilled a need, and have been used within the last year. They will not be reduced..
I also have 5 trailers. They have each been used this week and will stay.
I have 10,000 T-shirts. I wear about 6 of them. The rest can go.
This is going to be a fun journey!!

RogueJeepr

Here!
I share this interest also but................ Its not gonna happen anytime soon. My plans involve that at about the time I retire and then hit the road ,till the day I die . Then no-one can fight over my things after the funeral (if I can afford one). I guess the only thing that would be left is my vehicle and thats gonna be at the bottom of a cliff or river with me in it. :eek:

Cascadia

Undecided
When we packed up our house and garage last July to move in to my in laws while we built a new home I got rid of a lot of junk. I thought that it all had its place and that it would be used someday. When it came time to pack up I did not want to pack these things. I took a 25x24 garage that only fit my wife's car and reduced it down to my tool chest and 3 storage boxes. I'm pretty excited for my new garage at the end of the month that is 30x30 with another 16x16 behind my side. It's going to be hard to decide where to put stuff with so much room.

ricsrx

......................................i have too much emotional clutter to even start thinking about this,

so this is how i will start

if any one needs Toyota parts, let me know, if it is on my clutter list you can have it for free.............

sixstringsteve

Great thread Brian. I'm no expert, but to me, minimalism is more of a mindset than the number of possessions you have, or the size of your lot/house. It takes being honest with yourself and really asking yourself why you hang on to the things you do.

It probably sounds like self-promotion(and I suppose that'd be accurate), but we've learned a thing or two about minimalism. We've started a little series about minimalism on YouTube. We have some guests lined up to interview so they can share their minimalist story. I get a lot of good ideas from other minimalists. Brian, we'd love to interview you sometime. Maybe 10-15 minutes about your "journey" and what you've learned as you've minimized your possessions, and what "minimalism" means to you.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWysv3wFKyy58NXYu0hfn7j5XGvzGmRWs

And my wife made a great blog post about the questions we ask ourselves to determine if we really need it or not:
http://www.themoreweexplore.com/blog/questions-to-inspire-your-minimalist-journey

And if you haven't checked out "the minimalists", definitely check them out. I think they're a little too high profile to get on my little web series, but it can't hurt to try. They've got a full-length documentary coming out soon.
www.theminimalists.com

smartass_kid

Since we moved from TN 3 years ago we 've purged several times and all felt great. Now that I've got a garage house and yard I've started to get more tools but house is smaller so limited there some.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I've moved 15 times in 15 years. Its been pretty easy to keep my crap to a minimum. But since purchasing a house again, my garage equipment has really multiplied. But its what I like doing. I love working on cars. I used to save parts and store them in the garage. But I've realized I never even use them. I just end up selling them. I'd rather have the money then the part.

I have 4 kids so I can't really can't get rid of everything. I keep my yard minimally landscaped. I have grass and trees. I don't have to worry about taking a trip or leaving town.

I had a collection of baseball cards that I had since a kid. I ended up throwing away all of them. I carried them around forever thinking they would have value. They never did, and never will. So they are in a land fill somewhere. I give all the stuff I don't use to the DI.

I don't need loads of stuff to make me happy.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Where does one start? I'm building a house right now and would love to downsize my clutter during the move...but I don't know how often I go out to my "stuff" and find exactly what I need, and it is something I've had for a few years just waiting for it's need to arise. Then I just lie in a pile of my stuff and think to myself "I'll never get rid of you because I know that someday I'll need all of you." Then I fall asleep cuddling a spool of twine or a bucket of sprinkler parts. I have a problem.

Tonkaman

I recently bought a house and am in the process of moving in. I can't believe how often I open a box up and think "why the hell did I save this?". We're really cutting back as we move in.

sixstringsteve

Here's a list of questions we asked ourselves as we went through our home and decided what to keep and what to let go. If you're thinking of seriously de-cluttering your life, I recommended going through your whole house at least 3 different times over several months. For us, it became easier to know what to let go with each pass. Try to be honest with yourself as you answer these questions.

1) If I didn't already own this, would I go out and buy it?
2) Is this something I use regularly or love?
3) Am I keeping this because I THINK I should love or use it?
4) Am I holding onto this item out of obligation to someone?
5) Am I keeping this "just in case?"
6) For sentimental items like old trophies and childhood toys, could I be happy with a photo of it and let the object itself go?
7) Do I have multiples of this item?
8) Is it worth the effort to fix, store, use, or clean this?
9) Could something else I own do the same job? Could a one dual purpose item replace several one trick ponies?
10) Do I have a real plan to use this item?
11) How long has it been since I used this item?
12) Is this item used for a hobby I'm no longer involved in?
13) Has this item already fulfilled its purpose in my life?
14) Am I attaching sentiment to too many things? Could I benefit from taking a break from all this de-cluttering?
15) If the house burned down would I replace this item?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Where does one start? I'm building a house right now and would love to downsize my clutter during the move...but I don't know how often I go out to my "stuff" and find exactly what I need, and it is something I've had for a few years just waiting for it's need to arise. Then I just lie in a pile of my stuff and think to myself "I'll never get rid of you because I know that someday I'll need all of you." Then I fall asleep cuddling a spool of twine or a bucket of sprinkler parts. I have a problem.

This is EXACTLY me. Threw away a bunch of junk I haven't used in YEARS.. Only to see that Dereks new house was in need of the items 1 week later...
It seems that no matter how long I hang onto it, it's not needed until I toss it.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I currently have 3 chainsaws. Each has fulfilled a need, and have been used within the last year. They will not be reduced..
I also have 5 trailers. They have each been used this week and will stay.
I have 10,000 T-shirts. I wear about 6 of them. The rest can go.
This is going to be a fun journey!!

I'm with you. I don't know about becoming an actual minimalist, but I'm working hard to reduce the amount of complications in my life, and not just the physical things. I've had some success, and more is coming. Going through the tool shelves in the garage is going to suck though, because this...

Then I just lie in a pile of my stuff and think to myself "I'll never get rid of you because I know that someday I'll need all of you." Then I fall asleep cuddling a spool of twine or a bucket of sprinkler parts. I have a problem.

... is me exactly.

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Here's one of the best articles I've ever read. I think it really relates to consumerism (what I consider the opposite of minimalism). Not everyone will agree with it all, but it really resonated with me.

http://www.filmsforaction.org/news/your_lifestyle_has_already_been_designed/#.VU-f_rqJ8PI.facebook

That's a great read Steve, thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about this stuff myself, I have and am currently paying for a lot of crap I don't really need. Unfortunately stuck in the 40+ hour grind at least for now, but a new career has also been on my mind.

jentzschman

That's a great read Steve, thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about this stuff myself, I have and am currently paying for a lot of crap I don't really need. Unfortunately stuck in the 40+ hour grind at least for now, but a new career has also been on my mind.

I love that it's called the "grid" it's as if we are reminded every day we hate our jobs... :rolleyes:

It is interesting how many of us have been thinking about this subject on this board. I have read numerous articles about minimalism and living with less and for so many years wanted all the cool toys. Being up in Bear Lake the pat weeks had only reinforced this urge, yet I consider the cost (both actual cost and time) associated with these toys and it is ridiculous. The amount of time it takes to buy, use, store, and upkeep is mid blowing when you think about it. Yet, somehow I ( and probably a lot of us) are drawn to want more and more. Much like that article mentioned, the more we earn the more we want to spend.

I have been trying, with little success, to reduce my wants and live a more frugal life. It is remarkable how hard it is to do so. Keeping up with the jones' always finds its way back into the forefront of our minds and ambitions it seems.

I also have this weird attachment issue with stuff. It is almost as if giving something away (not selling it but actually donating it) tugs at the stings of the need to acquire more and even has an almost emotional connection.

This article was amazing and I read it awhile back when I think Steve posted it. I need to go back and re-read it again and really start the process of downsizing.

sixstringsteve

Here's a great video from Nora. We are interviewing her tonight about minimalism, I'm really excited for it.

[video=youtube;mvL1vPaNhlQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvL1vPaNhlQ[/video]

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
......................................i have too much emotional clutter to even start thinking about this,

so this is how i will start

if any one needs Toyota parts, let me know, if it is on my clutter list you can have it for free.............
If you're hoarding an elocker housing with all the brackets let me know... ;)

back on subject I have 2 different ideas, kind of a prepared for anything vs can't do anything because of all the crap. I know I have crap I would like to dispose of the main reason I have them still is they got stuck somewhere they aren't in the way. I don't have any dreams of something I've got being worth more than I paid for it. I think part of the whole thought process it is being content with what you have, I've seen other hobbies with various levels of involvement/commitment be it wheeling or paintball or fishing or whatever your hobbies are, and some people get caught up in the more is more thought where the more thought may be keeping you from enjoying what you got. Back when I used to paintball I had a basic marker, (gravity feed, semi-auto) I would play against guys with feeders that cost more than my entire setup, they could put more paint out and I thought twice when the paint was flying but I had a great time. I didn't let the thoughts of I don't have the best so I'm not going to play stop me from enjoying it. Who knows my idea of minimalism may be skewed I picture it more of enough to do what you want but not so much that you're too worried to get off the porch.