Jeeper's 2006 6.0 F350

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Lets say I have the chance to buy a broken 2005 F350, with a 6.no motor. Motor is 'bad' is the only info I can get. it has been sitting since 2010. Has larriat package, lift, wheels, tires. Good overall shape. Whats it worth?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
First question is what are your plans with it? Put another 6 slow in it that will have to be worked over with all the mods to fix the problems that the motor has?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
First question is what are your plans with it? Put another 6 slow in it that will have to be worked over with all the mods to fix the problems that the motor has?

I don't know yet. 4 options as I see it.
1-buy it broke, sell it broke, try to make a small profit.
2-fix it to stock, try to sell for bigger profit.
3 fix it good, do mods, keep it.
4 Ford-Cummins swap, followed by divorce.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Option 4 is the only logical option I see :D

Haha in all seriousness, if you did fix it up (either to keep or sell) would you be doing the work yourself or a shop?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Option 4 is the only logical option I see :D

Haha in all seriousness, if you did fix it up (either to keep or sell) would you be doing the work yourself or a shop?

I don't know. Myself if possible. But in reality, my newer engine skills are lacking.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Don't leave me hanging!!! I'm dying of excitement about this truck.. but need to know if I am getting the deal I think I am..

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
With a "bad" motor and good everything else, I'd say you're around $8k-11k depending on how good everything else is.

If this is the case, I am getting a pretty good deal. I have to go give it a look over tomorrow.
I was anticipated a value of a few thousand dollars...

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
$5K is about what I would do. How many miles?

My 6.0 Is running pretty good now. 195K miles. I think I've finally sorted it out. Mine is a Crewcab, Lariet, 4x4 F350 Longbed

You could probably just fix the motor unless the engine bearings are bad. I have a lot of experience with this motor. If you have any questions let me know.

11707494_10153089496875028_2051089538694719750_n.jpg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I couldn't get the mileage for it, because the batteries are bad. I imagine it will have near 200k. I'd love for it to have much less.
I am picking it up today, I'll post pics and more info when I can :D

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Hey there's nothing wrong with being a little high every now and then, just dont tell my boss :D

I think I'm a little high too, maybe $7k-9k is better, but an '05 in good condition with a good motor is still bringing $13k-18k all day depending on miles and stuff. I dunno. I definitely agree that anything under 7k if you are getting it for that is a hell of a deal.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The logical part of me (yeah, he doesn't get out much) likes option #3. The rest of me likes option #4, however that is an expensive, time-consuming option. Both of these would only be ideal if the truck is a 4-door. If it is an extra or reg cab, go wth option 1, or *maybe* option 2.

sixstringsteve

my advice. If you're not sure what it's worth, and you're not sure what you're going to do with it, do you really need it? :)

How much is your time worth? What will it cost to do what you need to to flip it (including time, gas, and tools)? Sure, you might make a couple grand, but if it takes you 200 hours, is it worth it for 10/hr? Then factor in the "what-ifs." What if it needs more than an engine? What if you get stuck halfway through the swap and lose motivation, time, know-how, or money?

If the pros far outweigh the cons, go for it.

Or... think about all the time you could be out riding your dirt bike or camping with your kids if you didn't buy it.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
my advice. If you're not sure what it's worth, and you're not sure what you're going to do with it, do you really need it? :)

How much is your time worth? What will it cost to do what you need to to flip it (including time, gas, and tools)? Sure, you might make a couple grand, but if it takes you 200 hours, is it worth it for 10/hr? Then factor in the "what-ifs." What if it needs more than an engine? What if you get stuck halfway through the swap and lose motivation, time, know-how, or money?

If the pros far outweigh the cons, go for it.

Or... think about all the time you could be out riding your dirt bike or camping with your kids if you didn't buy it.

Stop it Steve!!! Now is no time to be a minimalist! :rofl:
to make matters worse, the reason I found out about the truck is because I was at the guys house buying a 5th wheel that I don't need or want. I just knew it was a chance for a quick flip on the trailer.

But in reality, I love my truck. I am happy to keep it. But I would be VERY happy to upgrade. I am getting a VERY VERY good deal on the truck, so my risk is very low.

I was making comments to my wife this morning that we have worked very hard to get a good savings. We have enough that buying these items (RV, truck, trailer full of dirtbikes) is not a risk to my families well being. I anticipate making money on the RV, and keeping the truck. I don't know if these are blessings of the hard work we have done to save, or of these are ways to become broke again..

As for bringing home more junk, I have cleared a lot out. As I look back, I realize I was keeping pennies worth of 'stuff'. Now that I have cleared space, I am happy fill some of it with items that are of real worth to me. The camper is going to be a burden for sure, and is going to be sold asap. The truck though has got me pretty excited. I am learning to stop placing emotional value to items, and am to a point that I can toss much more stuff with ease if it feels to full around here again.