Because Roadkill, -or- I bought an old ugly domestic car

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
For two months now, I've been searching for an older domestic RWD car so I could live out my own personal Roadkill fantasies. Unlike old RWD cars of my past--where I thought I'd have to do a concours restoration just to feel good about driving them, thus ensuring my lack of satisfaction with them since I couldn't do such a restoration--this time around I am ready to embrace the rough edges and imperfections. They call it patina now? Fine by me. I'm just here to have fun. :)

I initially told myself I wanted an '80s G-body. They are relatively compact, relatively lightweight (3600 pounds for an all iron small block model), and relatively plentiful. But after weeks of searching, I began to get disappointed. For the pittance I wanted to spend, they are all rusty, have destroyed interiors, have been ruined with hydraulics and/or other poor lowering techniques, or some combination of these three scenarios.

So I started looking at other options. I'd love a late '70s F-body (who wouldn't?) but they tend to be in even worse condition while simultaneously commanding even more money. I thought about the larger cars, but I kept shying away simply due to the added bulk and mass. Less weight feels great, as we used to say. Can't I just find something?

Right when I was about to give up and/or choose something I really didn't want, I found this 1980 Pontiac:

(seller's CL photos)
vfWNLOL.jpg

zrYNrgd.jpg

Yes, the paint is baked off the horizontal surfaces--that just adds to the appeal. The sheetmetal is surprisingly straight (dude is the second owner) with no significant rot anywhere. The interior is pretty nice and has no rips anywhere; the power seat even works. It runs and drives, though it definitely needs a tune-up and some other little touches of TLC. It's only a 3.8L V6, but that doesn't matter since I'm planning to toss the OEM engine anyway.

Thus began a flurry of text messaging Tuesday night. Wednesday morning, I finally got the guy to agree to take a grand for it. Without further ado, I fired up the ol' 8.1L, hooked up the trailer, and headed north for a 3 hour drive to Pocatello. Everything checked out--and the seller had removed that awful chain steering wheel, thank the Lord--so I traded the guy some bills for the title and keys, loaded up my prize, and headed back.

I did stop for a beverage and a snack before leaving Pocatello, at a convenient Maverik station:

GSCXN2Q.jpg

And that's how I came into possession of what my wife says is the worst car buying decision I've ever made. :D

Plans? Oh, yeah, I've got plans.

First: get a plate on the thing so I can take it off the trailer and--more importantly--park it on the street. This thing doesn't get to grace my concrete driveway until I fix the power steering fluid leak.

Second: spend a few dollars doing some general tune up and TLC. It starts right up, but it tends to stall (choke inop?). I don't want to sink significant money into it--like I said, this engine's days are numbered--but I will be driving it as is for a period of time while I assemble a replacement engine and transmission. I am honestly looking forward to learning how to tune/adjust a carb.

Third: get rid of those horrible little wheels! Initially, I wanted to install some sort of Pontiac factory alloy wheels on the car. I considered going period-correct and mounting some 15" Trans Am snowflakes on it, since these were an actual factory option on the Grand Prix in 1980. I also considered some black lace 16" wheels off an '89 Trans Am GTA. This morning, I found out a friend of a friend had a set of 15x7 Z28 wheels I could get for cheap... and they were right here in town:

CtEQxkC.jpg

That's good enough, I figured, so I bought them this afternoon. Needless to say, I'll be giving them a good bath. I briefly considered stripping the gold paint off them, but have since changed my mind. I figure the mismatched color will add to the 'junkyard build' persona of the car. Once they're cleaned up, I'll wrap them in the new set of 235/60 Cooper Cobra Radial GTs I ordered earlier today.

And that brings us down to The Big Discussion: I need to decide on the exact engine hardware. While searching for the car, I had told myself I'd find a Vortec 350 shortblock. I planned to upgrade the cam and heads, top it with a Performer RPM and headers, and thus have about 400 crank HP at my disposal. Easy peesy.

But then literally within the last week, my co-worker with the 350-powered 64 El Camino found himself a complete Vortec 454 longblock for only $250. (The lucky bastard!) He then found some used chrome long-tube headers for cheap, he bought a new cam, and had the heads rebuilt. Long story short, he now has a 454 that will produce at least as much power as my hypothetical 350 and a lot more torque, and he's into it less than a grand. I want to hate him, but he keeps telling me, why not do the same thing?

So now I need to decide: small block or big block? They'll both fit into the engine bay, and they'll even bolt up to the same engine mounts. I'll need a different transmission either way, so it's not like that would sway me in any particular direction.

Hmm. What to do, what to do?

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Haa! You're crazy and I hate to say it, but at first glance I would agree with your wife. :rofl: Having said that, I'm interested to see where this goes. So what is your planned use for the car, daily driver / silly play toy? A big block is hard to pass up if it can be done for cheap. Gas is cheap these days, why not? You can probably find a GM 6.0 truck engine for $1000, but then you'll need a harness and a tune... and that may not be the direction you want for a Roadkill-inspired car.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I'd rock the hell outta that chain steering wheel. Excited to see this pan out

D

Deleted member 12904

4.8, 5.3 or 6.0 and boost. That's road kill style

idahoyj

I've watched too much Roadkill too....! Maybe you should cut all the body off and cage it? ;)
Or, even better, buy a motorhome and strip it for the big block engine and trans!
You'll definately need a turbo! (Maybe half-dozen leaf blowers would do the trick?)

sixstringsteve

You should have gone with a miata with a v8 swap. Oh wait...

Subscribed for the ride. This car has zero appeal to me, but I love the roadkill spirit and I'm excited to see where this goes.

Last edited:

rustyjeep21

That's the Maverik in my hood! Needless to say anyone who has been watching roadkill has had the same thoughts. How bout a supercharger on the v6 until it blows up? At least give us a burn out video with the little tires before you swap them out?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
So what is your planned use for the car, daily driver / silly play toy?

Definitely the latter. If I can set it up to achieve better than the ~ 15 mpg I get out of my Jeep, I'll consider it a win. ;)

Or, even better, buy a motorhome and strip it for the big block engine and trans!

Now you're talking!

You should have gone with a miata with a v8 swap. Oh wait...

Many, many moons ago (when I was in early 20s) I dreamed up what I thought was my ideal fleet of vehicles I wanted to own simultaneously. Each one was classified by general purpose or layout: people mover, trail rig, etc. However, I did want to have two performance vehicles: a stick shift small block, and an automatic big block. So this car can live in perfect harmony with my (eventual) V8 Miata. :)

At least give us a burn out video with the little tires before you swap them out?

That is a seriously tall order. The 3.8 only made 110 HP peak when it was new. Worse, the standard rear axle is an appalling 2.41 ratio. Yes, a 3.08 upgrade was optional, but I have yet to find the car's sticker listing its RPO codes to know if I have it.

If by some miracle I can make this thing spin a tire, I'll let you know.

B2-Bomber

I'll say definitely SBC over BBC. But also I'm going to suggest which SBC.

I think an L31 engine/Trans (what the lay- people call "Vortec"). It's a good power builder. Usually 425 with basically a cam and unmodified heads. What's cool is that you can use a TPI computer to run it (if you don't want OBDII), and those are very easy to adapt into older cars. Due to simplicity of wiring. Or you can use an LS computer v and run it coil pack ignition too.

And it's not an LS, which due to being a superior engine is just played out. I remember when id look under the hood of a vehicle and say disappointedly "oh, it has another small block with chrome valve covers, fuel injected engines look so much cooler ". But at least those all had some stylistic character unique to reach one. the LS has become so played out, now i look under the hood and say (equally disappointedly) "it has another truck motor pulled out, and put in. They didn't even paint it or anything". which i didn't predict years ago would be disappointing to me, but it is.

But an older L31, or even an LT1 (those look pretty neat to me) being that they're not the superior LS, would actually fit the character of the junkyard build. And they're much, much cheaper. And work with any standard v8 transmission, whereas the LS needs an LS specific transmission (or lots of adaptation parts)

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Why not build the 3.8 into the turbo'd glory the grand national had :)

Last edited:

chicken77

throttle jockey
I would go with the 8.1L that is the same as your Suburban, have Wayne Hartwig tune it and you would be in the ball park 450hp and the ability to do burnouts at your leisure. It would beat 15mpg if you drove it responsibly and you could find parts anywhere. I would use a 4L80e trans or if you could find one a 6L80e. And then I would stock pile 10 bolt axle shafts and become very good at changing them.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
There are two reasons why I hesitate to go with a big block: cost and transmission. The cost certainly isn't outrageous, but let's be honest: SBC parts will always cost less than their BBC counterparts. Since the general theme of this vehicle is low buck, it would only make sense to go as low buck as possible.

The biggest concern is the transmission. Some would say just to hang a Turbo 400 off the back of the (big) block and be done with it. While that would work, I really, really want a 4spd overdrive transmission in the car. Since I'm going old school, I want a hydraulically controlled transmission rather than an electronic one. With the small block, I'd have lots of options--a 200R4, a 700R4, even a 4L60. But according to what I've seen, GM did not introduce an overdrive BBC trans until they simultaneously upgraded to electronic controls. Oh, sure, I could find a 4L80E and use that... but then I'd have to lay out an extra $600 for a TCI EZ-TCU just to operate the thing.

So as wicked awesome as the big block would be, I'm really leaning toward the Vortec 350 as the base of my engine.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
There are two reasons why I hesitate to go with a big block: cost and transmission. The cost certainly isn't outrageous, but let's be honest: SBC parts will always cost less than their BBC counterparts. Since the general theme of this vehicle is low buck, it would only make sense to go as low buck as possible.

The biggest concern is the transmission. Some would say just to hang a Turbo 400 off the back of the (big) block and be done with it. While that would work, I really, really want a 4spd overdrive transmission in the car. Since I'm going old school, I want a hydraulically controlled transmission rather than an electronic one. With the small block, I'd have lots of options--a 200R4, a 700R4, even a 4L60. But according to what I've seen, GM did not introduce an overdrive BBC trans until they simultaneously upgraded to electronic controls. Oh, sure, I could find a 4L80E and use that... but then I'd have to lay out an extra $600 for a TCI EZ-TCU just to operate the thing.

So as wicked awesome as the big block would be, I'm really leaning toward the Vortec 350 as the base of my engine.

Solve that with an M22 (oh, wait, you wanted OD....T5 would scatter in a hurry)