OBS vs SuperDuty 7.3

Toad

Ok here is the deal. I have a 1996 F250 crew cab short bed. I have owned the truck for 6 years now. It is white with grey interior. It is exceptionally clean for its age and 255k miles. Truck runs great pulls great. I have installed 160 cc stage one injectors, intake,exhaust, tunes from Gearhead, nice built auto trans, airbags and a Dana 60 swap in the front end. Truck has been great. I have a upgraded turbo for it already. I want to do e fuel and a new hpop. I have one problem with the truck. The rear wheel wells are rusting out. I have already had them fixed with patch panels. Unfortunately it is already starting to show again. If I do it again I will need to do complete bed sides. I am sure this will probably cost me 2500-3000 bucks. I have a little rust forming above the windshield also. I am kind of a tweaker when it comes to rust. I hate the stuff.

I just picked up a 2003 f250 superduty Lariat. I am into for a great buy. Runs good has new trans. intake, exhaust, PHP tunes. The paint is not in as good as shape as mine it is not bad. Interior is currently filthy. Rust free I have gutted the inside and by the time I am done the inside should be pretty clean.

I am kinda partial to the obs for body style. Mainly cause everybody has a superduty and my obs is a fairly rare truck.

So does the superduty have anything thing that the obs does not. Thoughts?

1adam12

THE BEAST
Superduty has a better ride, intercooler, bigger factory injectors 125cc compared to tother 95cc on the obs, e fuel, and a different turbo set up.wastgated .84 exhaust housing compared to the 1.15 on the obs. The tranny is also a little different . With what you have done to obs it should run as good if not better then the superduty. I just went from an obs to a superduty. I loved loved loved my 96 but it was only an xcab. The room of the superduty (4 door )is awesome and the ride is better (rear mounted shackles).if my 96 was a 4 door I wouldn't have switched. But after a year with the superduty I wouldn't go back.

Toad

Yea 7.3. I have driven the Superduty around a little. Ride is better. It is louder. Seems to have more engine noise in the cab. I forgot to add that my 1996 has a Hypermax intercooler installed. I will finish getting it cleaned out and fixed up. The way it sits and first initial impressions I will probably keep my 96.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Personally, I wouldn't screw around with patching the bedsides at all. Just buy some new skins, spot weld them in at the factory locations and paint (that's still a bit of cash but less than the labor of a patch panel). http://www.lmctruck.com/features/fd/FDBPF.htm That's assuming you can't find another whole bed that's in better shape.

I've had both trucks. I like them both for different reasons. I thought the Super Duty was quieter in the cab than the OBS. I think the Super Duty cab is WAY stronger built than the OBS but that's just an observation

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I am also in a similar situation. I have a '95 crew cab (gasser) and an 06 crew cab PSD. I am very partial to the older body style. However, I have realized it's just because they were the trucks when I was a kid. I will be into the '06 about half of it's value by the time I get it fixed.. so I think we will keep it, and sell the '95. (cough KEVIN cough ;))

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I love the OBS trucks but the SD's are superior in every way. Better insulation, engine accessories, 10.5 sterling, suspension, corrosion protection, etc.

You cannot beat the looks of an OBS though.

Toad

Just flat bed the 96

Not a chance in hell!! :)

I have the truck getting a windshield now. The inside is so filthy that I am going to pull the carpet and pressure wash. We are headed to Manti in a couple weeks I might take the Super Duty down just to try it out.

Last edited:

KWight

I just got back from an overnight out of town trip for work. With the price of diesel being so low, I opted to take my F250 instead of the Honda Minivan. I kept the speed down around 70mph and spent a whopping $4 more on gas then I would have spent with the minivan. Although mine is a bit newer, the ride was great and the power was awesome.

Toad

So I was driving home last night in the superduty I had to make a panic stop. WOW!!! The brakes are great compared to my obs. My wife hates the superduty though. She says it looks redneck. She cant stand the cab lights. I am not a fan of cab lights myself but I figure I could install some smoked lenses that would look better than the amber ones.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Hmm I dunno you have one of the cleanest/most well cared for OBS trucks I've ever seen plus it has all the right goodies. It would be hard to replace that one with another OBS if you decided to go back.

That said stock vs. stock I think the SD does everything better---although I'm pretty sure the steering still sucks lol. The later 7.3's had weaker connecting rods (powdered metal vs. forged) not sure if it's an issue in the real world though.. I'd like an early super duty one day when the IDI finally dies or a 6.7 when they're affordable (in 20 or so years :rofl:).

Any pics?

Btw that 79 super cab you had in front of the shop about made me drive off the road :eek: Wowowow! :chris:

Toad

Hmm I dunno you have one of the cleanest/most well cared for OBS trucks I've ever seen plus it has all the right goodies. It would be hard to replace that one with another OBS if you decided to go back.

That said stock vs. stock I think the SD does everything better---although I'm pretty sure the steering still sucks lol. The later 7.3's had weaker connecting rods (powdered metal vs. forged) not sure if it's an issue in the real world though.. I'd like an early super duty one day when the IDI finally dies or a 6.7 when they're affordable (in 20 or so years :rofl:).

Any pics?

Btw that 79 super cab you had in front of the shop about made me drive off the road :eek: Wowowow! :chris:

Thats my problem. My obs is a very nice truck. It is set up just the way I like it. The PMR rods really is not a issue till you start pushing 400 plus horse. It really is all in the tuning. I will post pics next week when I have the inside of the superduty put back together.

That 79i is really clean. Still has stock 351/400 in it. Failed IM testing bad.