M416 Replica Build

dzeyer

I've been working on this trailer for a bit now. It's taken longer than planned (got married in the middle of it). But it's turning out to be a pretty sweet trailer. It's built to the same dimensions as an original M416 trailer. Built out of 12GA steel.

I didn't have access to a break long enough to bend up the sides, and the place I found with one wanted $100 per side to bend them up, so I decided to cut and seam weld the entire thing (should've just paid the $$) but it turned out great. Diablo steel blades for the skill saw are AWESOME!
IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0957.JPG

Used 1"x1" to frame the tub to give the top some rigidity and a place for a weather seal to seat agains the lid. Made a matching frame for the lid.

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

Next was the trailer base. I read that regular trailer springs are WAY too firm, so I bought some brand new Tacoma springs on KSL and started building out the frame.

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_1078.JPG

Wanted to do LED lighting all around and found these cool thin 3-way lights for the tail lights. Installed a rear hitch as well as build some protectors for the tail lights. All my wiring is ran through the frame. Used welding wire as pull wires once I'm all welded up and painted.

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

dzeyer

IMG_1113.JPG

Made the shackles and the shackle mount next. Also added some cross braces.

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

Fit the tub back on and made the mounts for the tub.

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG

Next, built the front of the trailer with a receiver tube, added a collar, and also a set bolt to hold things a little more snug than just a hitch pin. Will have a retractable 4 ft receiver tube so it doesn't stick out so far when not being used.

IMG_1124.JPG

Added some sheet metal and some expanded metal for grip. Put the lid on and then installed the gas struts to help open the lid.

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

dzeyer

Got the trailer all buttoned up! This will be able to handle abuse! Now it's time to prime and paint.

IMG_1254.JPG

It's a ton of fun to work on the little stuff like a bracket to hold the junction box and little tie downs where you always need them.

IMG_1252.JPGIMG_1253.JPG

dzeyer

It's been a little slow going, but laid two coats of primer and 2 of industrial enamel and ran the wiring. Mounted up the suspension/axle/wheels for the last time. Now it's time to pretty up the tub and lid. Going with a desert/camo tan.

IMG_1287.jpgIMG_1288.jpgIMG_1290.jpgIMG_1291.jpgIMG_1292.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Based on this and your comment in that hitch thread it seems you are exploring the idea of building yourself a trailer... Running out of room in the 2 door? (I know the feeling.)

Nah, I'm just obsessive. I have no legitimate need for an expo trailer, but I love thinking about them.