Anybody wanna help me destroy a set of wheels?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
As I've mentioned in this very forum, a few weeks ago I bought a 1980 Grand Prix. The Hispanic former owner had installed 13" wire wheels on the car. I'm sure he thought they were beautiful. I could not despise them any more than I do. The wheels in question:

12038365_797118843720094_2682226662452466158_n.jpg

Over a week ago, I acquired a set of factory (Chevy) 15" alloys. Once I cleaned them up, I had a new set of tires mounted on them. I gleefully brought them home and stacked them in my garage, eager to put them on the car, thereby improving its appearance at least ten-fold.

During the last 24 hours or so, I have spent much time and energy in an attempt to remove the horrible wheels. Being my day off work, my only goal for the day was to get the wheels off the car... and now here it is 5:30 pm and the damn things are still stubbornly attached to my Pontiac. I have been met with utter failure virtually every step of the way. I need help.

I am normally what most refer to as a patient person. Not any more, at least as far as this project is concerned. I want those wheels off the car, and I want them off now... and I don't care one bit if we have to destroy them in the process. In fact, I'm kinda hoping I do destroy them--it should make me feel better about the whole situation.

Caveats:

#1: this has to happen at my house. While the car does run, it isn't really able to be driven any significant distance at this time.
#2: while I'm hoping each wheel dies a horrible, painful, agonizing death, I don't want any harm whatsoever to come to the rest of the car.

What I have tried so far:

#1: the "official" removal tool. I was given one, albeit a bit mangled. It doesn't quite fit properly and won't loosen the cap at all.
#2: a Big Ass Pipe Wrench. I bought this today just for this job, but the wheel's dish is too deep for it to work.
#3: WD40. I sprayed some to hopefully loosen things up. No luck.

FYI: the center cap thingy is 10-sided and approximately 3 7/8" in diameter. This is what must be unscrewed in order for the wheels to come off the car.

So... any other ideas?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Can you drill a hole top and bottom, stick a bar through to spin it off? similar to the screw driver in a an oil filter trick?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
So what is the cap? Thin metal or something forged/rusted in place? Have you got one side off (possible left hand threaded on one side?)

I got a grinder with a cutoff wheel that I'm sure would do something...

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Can you drill a hole top and bottom, stick a bar through to spin it off? similar to the screw driver in a an oil filter trick?

Hmm, I like this idea.

Or weld something to them that gives more leverage?

Yes, I was already thinking about the idea of leverage. I wanted to slip a pipe over one end of the tool, but I don't have a pipe of sufficient diameter to do so.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
So what is the cap? Thin metal or something forged/rusted in place? Have you got one side off (possible left hand threaded on one side?)

It is clearly metal of some sort, though I don't know exactly what. Maybe I'll see if it attracts a magnet, just for knowledge's sake.

And, no, I have nothing off. They are threaded in different directions on different sides of the car, but each cap is labeled "ON ->" so you know which way to go.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I just grabbed a fridge magnet and tried it. The wheel itself and the spokes are all steel, but the cap is not. I guess it must be aluminum?

Jesser04

What shape are the tires in? I take pride in embarrassing my niece that lives with us when I take her to school this would be to good on my little Elantra.

rholbrook

Isn't that about the same size as a street bike or ATV oil filter? I know you can buy different size oil filter wrenches. If not, I bet you could put some sort of insert in the filter wrench to do the trick. If not, take it to the Rose Park Glendale area with a sign that says if you can remove the wheels they are yours

Bob B

I would try NOT to destroy them. They should easy be worth upwards of $500-$1000 bucks depending on condition.
If the previous owner didnt lube the threads when they put them on they can be a bugger to get loose. Ive found most people pound on the tool with a lead hammer.
Check for a little mark or arrow on the cap that says which direction they turn. One side will be reverse threads.

Here for a little help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaVtf9ikMFA

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Roadkill had problems removing similar wheels, in this episode. (worth watching anyway!) They figured out how to, so maybe it will help you also.

[video=youtube;jc2mU_q6jH8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc2mU_q6jH8[/video]

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
What shape are the tires in?

They are definitely old, showing some dry rot. I certainly wouldn't give them to anybody I cared about.

They should easy be worth upwards of $500-$1000 bucks depending on condition.

No, not these. They are in poor shape, finish-wise. I do have one guy who says he wants to buy them off me, but he hasn't seen them yet. Once he does, I'm thinking he'll change his mind.

Isn't that about the same size as a street bike or ATV oil filter? I know you can buy different size oil filter wrenches.

Okay, this sounds like the best idea yet. Especially if I use a filter wrench with a folding handle--perhaps I can slip a cheater bar over it for some extra torque. One like this:

41H31jGU1yL.jpg

I discussed the idea with a co-worker. He suggested I use this style of wrench instead since (according to him) it can exert more force than the type I pictured above:

41WDAhTpWiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have never used one of these. Hell, I've never even seen one before. I'm not sure exactly how it even works, but that may be a moot point--it looks like the legs aren't long enough to clear the center cap. Do they make ones with longer legs? Anybody know?

Roadkill is an awesome show.

Completely! That's why I bought this car in the first place.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I discussed the idea with a co-worker. He suggested I use this style of wrench instead since (according to him) it can exert more force than the type I pictured above:

41WDAhTpWiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have never used one of these. Hell, I've never even seen one before. I'm not sure exactly how it even works, but that may be a moot point--it looks like the legs aren't long enough to clear the center cap. Do they make ones with longer legs? Anybody know?

I have one. The swingarms fit around the flat faces on the back of the oil filter, and then as you turn the thing counterclockwise they pull tighter. It's a bit fiddly on the back of an oil filter but with lots of room to work it might be ok for your center caps.

How deep is the cap though? The arms on mine are only an inch or so deep.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
[video=youtube;A6zqu_9Sb7w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6zqu_9Sb7w[/video]

For some reason I think of this moment