Moab with a Hickey

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hickey (aka Jeremy) planned a Moab trip for his son who is leaving on his LDS mission very soon... we put together a plan and meet up for a 3 day weekend of Moab fun. I had heard that Hickey used to wheel, but never really saw him on the trail.... much like a Unicorn. :guilty: I was skeptical that he knew how to drive, let alone wheel a pretty JK in Moab. Turns out he is a great driver and we were both sporting white Jeeps JK Rubicons on 35's, mine being the Unlimited. We were topless and doorless, making it easy to see and doubling the fun factor!

On Friday we headed out to Kane Creek, for some wet fun. As most of you know, the start of the trail is a bumpy, dusty and LONG start before the real fun. There were some fun climbs to play on, on our way out, so we played. I was leading and started pushing the JKU pretty hard in the whoops, working those Teraflex Speed Bumps and loving how they dampened what would have been a hard hit. Several miles into the start of the trail my steering got very vague and I knew something happened to the track bar. I pulled over and sure enough, the axle bracket had torn free of it's mounts, probably from pushing the Jeep hard at speed. We both had some ratcheting tie downs and to secure the front axle side-to-side best we could. The drive into town took a long time, as we broke 2 of the ratchet strap hooks and I was getting some fun death wobble since the axle wasn't secured.

i-VphrSXn-L.jpg

i-gWX5sJN-L.jpg

i-dttTr4L-L.jpg

We limped the Jeep to Moab Outpost on Friday afternoon.... there were people in the shop working and the showroom was open. I asked the guy at the desk if they could weld the track bar bracket back in place and was surprised when he said he didn't have someone there to do it. Realizing my best option was looking grim, I asked if I could use their welder and to the job myself. I've done plenty of welding and felt comfortable doing the job and actually helped another RME member years ago that was in a similar situation. The reply was that both welders were tied up, doing axle swaps. I've heard great things about Moab Outpost, but I was very disappointed with my experience there. I started to have thoughts about how my weekend plans were changing fast and then wondering how I'd be able to get the Jeep back to Colorado if I couldn't fix the track bar mount. I was bummed, to say the least.

I pulled out the phone, searched 'welder repair Moab' and found Wilson Performance. I called, Ben Wilson answered and said he could help, asking if the Jeep was driveable and if I could get it to the shop. He does offer Mobile repair, if needed. He was just a handful of minutes from where we were, so we limped the JKU to the shop. Ben was friendly and helpful, checking out the needed repair. He put me at ease, saying it was a simple fix and could be beefed up with a few additional beads. His work was exact and meticulous, to the point that he broke out the porta-power to line up the bracket better after the initial tack weld. Soon he was laying killer beads and it wasn't long before the Jeep was road & trail ready and a price that I would have paid double considering how professional he was... thanks Ben!! I'd highly recommend Wilson Performance in Moab if you need something welded back together!

20150930_200939-L.jpg

20150930_201036-L.jpg

20150930_201858-L.jpg

It was now close to dinner, so we had some Mexican for dinner then decided to hit up Hells Revenge in the dark! It was a blast, but the shadows would spook you! Not many pics were taken due to the dark, but Hells was a blast!

20150925_195145-L.jpg

Saturday morning came fast and it was our big day, we planned to drive the Poison Spider Mesa / Golden Spike / Gold Bar Rim combo. We had invited an old friend to ride along and someone I've spent plenty of time on the trail with, Chris Bolos aka YellowBronco. We picked up Chris and hit the trailhead around 8:30 AM, preparing for a long day. About 1/3 of the way into the trail a amazing JKU with a couple from Canada asked if they could join us. Their JKU was setup with Teraflex long arms and anti-sway bar, Offroad Evolution EVO 1 bolt-on(!) coilovers, 39" BFG Krawlers mounted on Hutchinson beadlocks. It was amazingly built and perfect for the Moab trails, I wish I would have gotten a full build list! It was also sporting a Magnaflow exhaust which sounded amazing when the engine was revved up... which we got to hear often! :greg:

We worked our way over the trail slowly, stopping now & again for the most difficult obstacles and photo ops.

i-MV2mdP7-L.jpg

i-Kwv7Z9t-L.jpg

i-d6bPTt3-L.jpg

i-xkjcr2S-L.jpg

i-vmBFKWZ-L.jpg

i-nshhWqx-L.jpg

i-GKXkwMw-L.jpg

i-HDsf9nk-L.jpg

i-gvdd76g-L.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The scenery and weather was perfect!

i-VTvhHsN-L.jpg

i-qKFTVJf-L.jpg

i-fqbSf3Q-L.jpg

i-PNKgkzc-L.jpg

i-rVG6XZs-L.jpg

i-tcgKzMZ-L.jpg

i-j27H6Qs-L.jpg

i-7hP84Nh.jpg

i-7Zm3QNd-L.jpg

i-vh5w2GN-L.jpg

i-bsCxhwZ-L.jpg

i-2trZ6fB-L.jpg

On Sunday we slept in, had a nice breakfast at the Jailhouse Cafe (so good!!) and headed to Cliffhanger. We didn't have a lot of time before we needed to pack up and leave town, so we ran as far up as we could, turning back before the namesake obstacle. I was surprised how difficult the start of the trail was!

i-7WTswfR-L.jpg

i-wHS4Gk9-L.jpg

i-jCPtJ2s-L.jpg

i-wkRd3RS-L.jpg

And that was it! I was VERY impressed with how capable the JK is, with a lift and 35's those Rubicon's will go damn near anywhere you point them. I felt like a 4" suspension and 37's (or larger) would do better in Moab, due to how wide and long the JKU is.... seems like a little more clearance under the belly and diffs would go a long way.... but I didn't build my JKU for Moab. ;) It's been years since I've had a long Moab-wheelin weekend and this trip was perfect andjust what I needed, even with the track bar bracket hiccup early on. What's a Moab trip without carnage?! It really was a great time and made me think back on many Moab trips with friends in the past. :cool:

One more thing worth mentioning... I took a Trasharoo along and after 3 days in the hot desert sun (with us drinking a lot of fluids), it was about 1/2 way filled up with trash. It was so nice having a dedicated and secure place for garbage! I'm a huge fan now, it's going on every trip in the future.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It really was a great trip. That first mile on Cliffhanger is action-packed. Thanks for posting the Trip Report. I'd add pics, but I had to factory reset my phone yesterday and lost them all.

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
You forced my hand Gregory, now I must use my bi-yearly login to comment on this post! lol
IMG_0909.JPGIMG_0926.JPGIMG_0927.JPGIMG_0950.JPGIMG_0966.JPG
It was fun to be back out wheeling again with good friends, and I thoroughly enjoyed holding down the passenger seat with my only responsibilities being handing out Greg's water to hot mountain bikers, picking up trash, and taking photos! :greg: We even picked up some natural "debris" for NLPD, and almost filled the Trash A Roo with normal garbage. ;) I only hope that next time some more of the old gang can make it! Well...gotta go...I'm watching Youtube videos of people listening to other people's exhaust...(sorry Hickey) :rofl:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
^^^^
good to see your still alive Chris! It's been a while since I have seen a Krispy Kreme hat on the trail. :D

Looks like a great trip.

Good luck to your son Hickey!

Kevin B.

Big hippy
One more thing worth mentioning... I took a Trasharoo along and after 3 days in the hot desert sun (with us drinking a lot of fluids), it was about 1/2 way filled up with trash. It was so nice having a dedicated and secure place for garbage! I'm a huge fan now, it's going on every trip in the future.

I bought one a couple months ago, I love it. I like having somewhere accessible for trail trash and my own garbage, but I love not having to park stinky diapers in the truck!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Dang, you got to wheel with both Hickey AND Chris? Now I REALLY wish I could have gone with you guys!

Bart

I was thinking the same thing. Hickey on a trail, in a Jeep, is hard enough to vision, but add Mr Bolos. Wow, just wow. Great write, report and pics. Thanks for sharing.

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
^^^^
good to see your still alive Chris! It's been a while since I have seen a Krispy Kreme hat on the trail. :D

Looks like a great trip.

Good luck to your son Hickey!

Haha, the good old Krispy Kreme hat! That trip to Billings/21 Road is still one of the best in my memory! I still laugh thinking about Greg and Shawn cursing at each other from opposite sides of the canyon! LOL

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Haha, the good old Krispy Kreme hat! That trip to Billings/21 Road is still one of the best in my memory! I still laugh thinking about Greg and Shawn cursing at each other from opposite sides of the canyon! LOL

Definitely a top 10 trip! Someone somewhere probably still has the picture of us trying to help Shawn holding on to each other by the Carhart Bib straps... Do you remember that? :)

So when are we doing it again? :D

We would need to resurrect Dtoy and Shawn...

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
Carl, your sarcasm was missed. I did enlighten Greg on the term Ellenger Spice in your honor though! ;)

Bart, it was the first time I'd ever wheeled with Hickey, usually we just go to dinner and talk about wheeling!

Spork, I'm cool with that. :cool: I call Chupacabra!

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
Definitely a top 10 trip! Someone somewhere probably still has the picture of us trying to help Shawn holding on to each other by the Carhart Bib straps... Do you remember that? :)

So when are we doing it again? :D

We would need to resurrect Dtoy and Shawn...

Haha, how could I forget that! Shawn's 454...(just in case) destroyed that knuckle nicely!

Resurrect D-Toy and Shawn...? You're going to have to resurrect me too, I'm a tree hugging mountain biker now. Peace, love, and skinny tires man. :rofl: