Land Rover Project: Sexy Back: Love is in the Eye of the beholder.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I bought two Range Rover Classics about 5 months ago. My plan was to fix one, and part out the other. One was a pile of garbage that I could just to part out and pay for both vehicles. I paid $900 for both trucks. I have more than made my money back by parting out the crappy one. So this truck owes me nothing.

SPECS:
MILES: 196k
YEAR: 1993
MAKE: LAND ROVER
MODEL: RANGE ROVER COUNTY LONG WHEEL BASE 4.2L V8
ENGINE: 4.2L ROVER V8 ALL ALUMINUM BLOCK, LUCAS FUEL INJECTION
TRANSMISSION: 4 SPEED AUTO ZF 4HP22
TRANSFER-CASE: BORG WARNER 3.2:1 RATIO LOW RANGE FULL TIME 4 WHEEL
AXLES: LAND ROVER 10 SPLINE 3.54 GEARS (FRONT HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO A 24 SPLINE SET UP)
BRAKES: LAND ROVER ABS WITH ELECTRONIC POWER ASSIST AND TRACTION CONTROL.

CURRENT CONDITION: MOTOR IS BLOWN. I thought it was just a headgasket issue. I tore the top end down and had the heads rebuilt and machined. I just but it all back together. The oil and coolant are already mixed, the catalytic converter on the driverside glows red after it has run for a little bit. It runs like garbage. So I think the block has cracked between the cylinders. This has an aluminum V8 with 196K miles all original. When I tore it down, it had never had anyone inside it. the only thing that had ever been replaced were the exhaust manifold gaskets. Pretty damn amazing for a Rover engine! But sadly, the block can't be saved.

PLANS:

The current plans are as follows.

Engine: Chevy small block EFI
Transmission: TH400
Transfer-case: Toyota FJ60
Axle upgrades: 24 spline rear axle set up with ARB locker
Suspension: 2-3" lift, Bilstein shockers
Tires: 285/75/16 Load Range E probably BFG's AT2's

Fix any body rot while the engine is out. I have a few small holes in the firewall and in the front fenders. But that is all, not bad considering this is a Utah car its whole life.

This is how she looked when I got her and the other one home. I didn't have any pictures of the crappy one. You can see it in this picture a little.

11694013_10153033054095028_27206789185622929_n.jpg

Current Condition:

I just threw it out on the driveway to work on the Disco and my F350. I changed the coolant in my F350 and put new fuel filters in. Its done. I pulled my Disco in to fix the leaking heater lines. Should be done tonight. Then the rover goes in, and I'll set about removing the drivetrain.

12141637_10153243664600028_2151028832574303975_n.jpg

Troop92

Freakin' sweet, man. I don't mean the blown engine, but your plans for it. And I kinda hate you for having a 3-car garage.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Its the only reason I bought the house. That and its not on any main roads. But the slope up to the garage on the driveway sucks. I completely wish they would have made this lot flatter and lower. Oh, well then water runs downhill and I'm at the top of it.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
So, I found a Vortec 350 V8 with low miles. Comes with the wiring harness, flex plate and accessories. I'll freshen it up with some new bottom end bearings, and valve train. I'm thinking about an RV cam of some sort.

I decide since I can measure and design stuff pretty damn good in AutoCAD I will make my own adapter plates. I should only need two and then design some new weld in engine mounts.

Who does good CNC plasma work. Everything I will need can be done in a two dimensional cut. It should be rather easy to do after I put it all in CAD.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
What's the difference between an LS1 and A 350 Vortec Engine? Is one better than the other. I've been out of the loop on Chevy stuff forever.

Old: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_small-block_engine
New: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_small-block_engine

I have very little personal experience with them, but I can tell you a few things - They are totally different - almost zero parts interchangeability, and very different internal designs. Most will say that the newer LS engines are superior to the standard SBC in every way. Plus, they are almost as plentiful (cheap) as the previous SBC, huge aftermarket support, better power potential, better reliability, and they are still just as easy to work on.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I found an LS1 that has a rod knock, I planned on rebuilding it anyway. I'll see how bad it is tonight. Hoping I won't need a new crank. But it is missing all the computer and intake stuff. so I don't know if it'll be worth it or not

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
How about buying my commando for the drivetrain then parting the rest of it out? I wonder if you could buy all the needed parts for the swap for less than my asking price?

Toad

How about buying my commando for the drivetrain then parting the rest of it out? I wonder if you could buy all the needed parts for the swap for less than my asking price?

Do this!! The LS is far better than the older sbc. More power. Better mpg. Easy to mod and make even more power.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
So I bought a 350 TBI motor. Complete with AC, Alternator, powersteering pump. It also came with the wiring harness, all the sensors, and the computer. It has 170K miles.

Plans are to clean it, strip it, cam it, and put new gaskets into it.

I also found bolt patterns for the Land Rover Transmission and the Chevy 350 bellhousing pattern. I'll draw that up in CAD and have an adapter built.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I'm not sure what it'll cost. It shouldn't be very hard to make. I'll just have it cut out of flat stock. Hopefully not over $200. I'd like to keep this whole thing under $1500.

I'll have to source some different front springs since this engine weighs about 200 lbs more than the aluminum block engine that is in it

rholbrook

There is a 2000 in Kaysville for sale. Its all black and the sign says they want $3K for it. Its been there for a bit so if you want the info or a pic, let me know.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
So that other engine was gay.

So I got this for $150. I'm selling the 350 V8, or shall we say, trading it for another Land Rover Discovery 2.

OM617. Now i just need a turbo, and adapter for the 4hp22 transmission. Gas mileage and I'm going to tweak it to run on 15 psi of boost for power.

12190809_10153290178110028_7397454345858570752_n.jpg