Gun Safe?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I'd like to finally buy a gun safe for my firearms.

Where is a good place to look for one. I've been to Dicks and some farm and ranch place in Layton. I'd like a fireproof safe that can't be moved out of my basement very easily.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I've been looking on KSL, but I haven't found much.

While I love Cabela's the idea of driving down there to look at a safe is my biggest deterrent. I hate they are an hour away. When I lived in Montana we had Cabelas right in town. I went there once a week to smell the store and look at guns. I hope they get the one in Farmington finished someday soon.

boogie_4wheel

Bought mine at Sportsman's Warehouse.
There is a gun safe place in Bountiful right off the 15.
Cal-Ranch seems to have a decent quantity of large safes that you could stick in a basement, whereas Cabelas carries the big shiny safes that look good in your living room.
There is a Tractor Supply getting ready to open in Woods Cross on Redwood Rd, they may have some good deals on a grand opening. I just don't know when they are going to open, but they 4x8 trailers lined up in the parking lot so it looks like they are stocking the store right now

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Safes are like most things. Only a few manufactures make most of the safes. Liberty makes some nice safes and Cal Ranch is one of the cheapest places I have found. There are several scratch and dent wholesale places around but they are rarely much cheaper.

Fireproof is a farce. Even if you get a safe rated for hours, the internal temp will most likely destroy most guns beyond what is reasonable to repair. My dad does a lot of custom gun work and has had several people bring him guns from a safe in a burnt down home. The heat usually cooks all the moisture from the stock and damages any optics. Unless the gun is pretty valuable they usually aren't worth repairing. Your best bet is to get a decent safe, build it into a double sheetrocked closet against an exterior wall. This gives you a better chance of saving your guns than a $5k xx hour rated safe.

Last edited:

ID Bronco

Someone on here sells safes. He is a locksmith, but I cannot remember his name. I recommend getting one bigger than you currently want or need. I am in need of a bigger one. I should have gone bigger the first time.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Someone on here sells safes. He is a locksmith, but I cannot remember his name. I recommend getting one bigger than you currently want or need. I am in need of a bigger one. I should have gone bigger the first time.

Justin (jpest I think is the username) he works at Bob's lock and key if he's still out there.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I just bought a 40 gun safe with a decent fire rating for 399.99 at Costco. It works and looks great.

Caleb

That Costco one doesn't look bad at all, I was looking at it the other day. Thought about picking one of those up to use until I finish my vault. Then moving it up to my cabin.