Shane Herzogs 1989 Jeep Cherokee (Fall 2002 Featured Rig)

Updated!
Shane's XJ is built to serve 2 purposes:

#1- Be drivable enough to get him to and from work.
#2- Wheel anywhere, at any time.

It all started innocently enough, the 'average' Jeep project. With an idea to make it perform just a little better in the Rough stuff, Shane started down the road few can resist. Now, the XJ is very capable, but there are still those mods out there that could make it just that much better. Living in Price, Utah allows frequent trips to Moab and the local trails in his backyard. The current setup works great for either place.

Here's a breakdown of this well-built Cherokee-

Engine- Stock 4.0L I6 with a Large K&N cone filter.

Transmission- AW4, Automatic with Overdrive.

Transfer Case- Update: Atlas II 4.3:1

Axles- Dana 44s front and rear!

Front: '82 Jeep Wagoneer Dana 44, Rubicon Express Bracketry, Detroit Locker, Yukon 5.13 gears, Update: Warn Inner & Outer shafts, CTM U-joints.

Rear: '74 J-4000 Dana 44. Shortened and centered 3", converted to 6x5.5 pattern, Moser alloy shafts, Detroit Locker, Yukon 5.13 gears.

Suspension- 7 to 8" of lift by way of Rubicon Express Coils and Leafs, Update: Custom Radius linked control arms up front (made from 2" x .25 wall DOM tubing, and RE Spherical Joints), Ladder-type Traction Bar in the rear with a Shackle at the top.

Tires & Wheels- Update: Super Swamper TSL SX 38x12.5x15 w/ grooved center pattern, mounted on 15x8 AR Wheels, Rockstomper DIY beadlocks (counter sunk).

Protection- Update: A 6 Point Internal Roll Cage to protect the passengers and add strength to the Uni-body, Stock rocker panels were replaced with 1.5" x .25" wall Square Tube, to minimize reduced ground clearance while providing protection from the Rocks. Also, the bumpers are 'Shane-fabbed' parts!

Recovery- Update: Warn X8000i, w/ Rocklogic synthetic winch rope

Interesting Facts- The Custom Drag link & Track bar were built by Shane using 1 3/8" x .25" wall DOM Tube. The Trackbar mount was raised to the top of axle, for a better operating angle and the area around the Steering box has been Braced for strength. All four Doors are removable to help with seeing where Rocks lie as the XJ passes over them. The Home-built Long Arm suspension is one of the neatest things on Shane's XJ.

Whats Next?- Hydraulic Assist :D

Playing in Pritchett-

Attachments

• shane_pritchet1.jpg
    shane_pritchet1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 843
Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The front Suspension and Steering. The angle between the Drag Link and the Track Bar looks great!

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If you want to learn more about Shanes XJ or wheelin in the Price area, stop by his Web Site, its-

Bent Metal 4Wheelers

Last edited:

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
I dig the ride Shane. Very nice.

Do you have any close ups of your safari doors? What material did you use? A pic of the latch mechanism would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by Mike_Lib
I dig the ride Shane. Very nice.

Do you have any close ups of your safari doors? What material did you use? A pic of the latch mechanism would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks!

I can get you some close ups of them. I just used some cheep-o pipe I had laying around, probably just sch 30. The latch is just two little u-bolts welded with a pin that goes behind the latch stud to hold the doors closed. Nothing too fancy. They hold tight and don't rattle at all.

94rodeo

hey, just found this site. I have seen this rig many times in price across from my friends appartment. It looks like we need to go wheeling as I only live down the road in castledale. I am just finishing up a solid axle swap on my rodeo, so we will have to get together when it is done and go test it out.

Troy:D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by 94rodeo
hey, just found this site. I have seen this rig many times in price across from my friends appartment. It looks like we need to go wheeling as I only live down the road in castledale. I am just finishing up a solid axle swap on my rodeo, so we will have to get together when it is done and go test it out.

Troy:D

Sounds like fun. Lets hear some specs on the Rodeo! That sounds like a pretty cool project.

We'd be glad to show you the hidden trails of Price... :D

94rodeo

Well lets see. We cut out all the ifs and swapped in a dana 44 form an old cherokee went with coils on this (need some 2 nch lift coils for a 79 bronco to complete though). kept the stock rear 44. put 5.38 gears in the diffs, lockright lockers front and rear, tera low gears in the xfer case, dom tubing amd heim joints for the steering(which I am looking for a flat top pass. knuckle and high steer arm for it). It has custom bumpers with a warn xd9000 up front. I have some pics of the project at webshots
http://community.webshots.com/user/94rodeo .

It is still not done though. I have only driven it around the block so far. I still need to get shocks and a front drive shaft, also the rear needs to be lengthened. You know of any shops that can build me a front and lengthen the rear?

Troy

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
We have done a Very similar project a couple years ago on a Nissan Pathfinder. Your Rodeo is lookin really good.

As far as drivelines... I wouldn't trust any of our local shops in Price. We've been through that routine a few years ago. Look up: High Angle Driveline, Six States, Tom Woods, etc...

Last edited:

94rodeo

thanks.

I can't wait to get this thing done and out on a trail. I think I already signed up on the other forum, but I will make sure.

Troy

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by moabjeeper
Hey what did you use to make those lights? What material did you use and could you get a close up of the hinges on the doors?

I built the rear light housings with just 3/16" flat steel that I ran up from the bumper. The lights themselves were the oval trucker lights you can get from almost any parts store. I have recently changed them out for 2.5" round lights.

I'll take some pictures of the hinges when I get time. :)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by moabjeeper
Just wondering on the rear tail lights. What did you do for the reverse lights? Trying to figure out how you did it

I've got a set of lights set up on my rear bumper that are just ran to a switch on my dash board. They are covered with black casings in this picture, but I don't cover them anymore...

Attachments

• moab_oct2002_26.jpg
    moab_oct2002_26.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 186