'01 crew 7.3L longbed---New mbryson project....(like I needed another?)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Well, the V10 went down the road. I really like that powerplant for what it is. While looking for a longbed, I dabbled a bit in grabbing another 7.3L as I had good luck with that truck vs the '04 Dodge I had. Finding one at a reasonable price that wasn't totally beat proved pretty challenging just cementing my V10 choice. There are some decent V10 trucks out there for reasonable prices (I may snag a V10 for refurbushing the 7.3l :D) and I really like the simplicity and decent power of it.

As I was going to buy a '99 V10 truck I got a call from one of the guys I was looking at a 7.3L with and we struck a deal. It seems like a good platform to start from, meets my needs (plan to haul a slide-in camper and tow a trailer) and should run the road and climb hills with the intended load better than the naturally aspirated V10? Time will tell. Glow plugs are a little weak and I assume it still has stock injectors. The truck will likely only be driven once or twice per week and to tow Jeeps or camp.

I did just buy some Toyo AT II tires in 285 75 16 to run on the stock rims. I hope these give me as good of service as I got out of the Toyo MT that I ran on my '99 7.3L.

Interior is about a 4 out of 10.

Exterior is about a 6 out of 10 except for the damage on the passenger side which drops the truck down to about 4 out of 10.

If the price wouldn't have been what it was, I would not have bought this truck. Powertrain seems pretty good. Here's for hoping. I don't know what to do with the bed. The damage will bug the hell out of me but the door I can fix pretty cheaply.

2001-drive.jpg2001-pass.JPG

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Looking forward to the progress. I recently made a similar purchase, I was looking for a 7.3 powerstroke or a 12v cummins. I was unable to locate a F*rd I liked, but found a well used 12v. Its pretty beat up on outside and inside, but I found the replacement parts on LMC truck to be pretty reasonable. Paid a little more than I wanted, but I got him to throw in a brand new set of firestone tires. I hope my choice was right, its a one owner that hasn't been tinkered with too bad, and has been well maintained mechanically. I'm hoping the beat up well maintained works out better than the possible lipstick on a pig shiny ones that were out there. I'm also wanting to pick up a slide in camper for base camp and flat tow the Taco for exploring.

Sweet ride, kinda wish I had come across it while looking :greg:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I love the 7.3, and if you find a good deal you just have to buy it... You have told me several times how much you liked your old 7.3 more than your dodge so i'm sure you will be happy. Mine just turned 180k, it is a beast and I love it the 4 or 5 times a year when I drive it.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
A flat bed is an acquired taste, no doubt. But once you have seen the light, it's great.
For example.. A slide in camper is going to take up every square inch of that bed. Iffin it were a flat bed, you would have additional space on both sides for all kinds of tools, camp chairs, etc.
by the time you account for the wheel wells in the bed, a flat bed DOUBLES the useable bed space of a truck.

But it will cost less than half of a flatbed just to fix the bed that's on it.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
There is a place on Main street right under the freeway or abouts that has a bunch of truck beds for sale all the time. THey take trucks and remove the beds and put utility truck beds on them.. they then sell the beds.

if you take Howard street down south into NSL it will be on the east side of the road just south of 1100 North.

sixstringsteve

Congrats marc, I know you were looking for a long time. I'm hoping it's super reliable for you and serves your needs well.

Bart

Nice truck, but I can't tell if it's red or orange. I'm sure you're already aware of the injector relay, but if not, give one of those a try. My 01 7.3 woke right up after replacing that.

rholbrook

I would put a bedside panel on it. You can do it in your garage with the tools you have probably and then run it over to Maaco for the paint job. I bet you will be cheaper than finding a whole bed and repaint it because you will may have to paint the underneath and cab side too or just undercoat it all which I am not a fan off. Years ago I used to prep for a Paint and Body shop, we always found rust under undercoating.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I would put a bedside panel on it. You can do it in your garage with the tools you have probably and then run it over to Maaco for the paint job. I bet you will be cheaper than finding a whole bed and repaint it because you will may have to paint the underneath and cab side too or just undercoat it all which I am not a fan off. Years ago I used to prep for a Paint and Body shop, we always found rust under undercoating.

That's the plan (well, minus the Maaco) unless I can find a nice truck bed that's the same color.... (there's one on KSL near Tremonton if I could get the guy to answer his phone-----building machines on Fridays gives me a bit of downtime to search the web between installation prompts:D)

mbryson

Supporting Member
That's the plan (well, minus the Maaco) unless I can find a nice truck bed that's the same color.... (there's one on KSL near Tremonton if I could get the guy to answer his phone-----building machines on Fridays gives me a bit of downtime to search the web between installation prompts:D)

Headed to Tremonton today. Looks like I have a good bed now? Anyone interested in a "slightly" damaged Super Duty longbed? Moonlight Diesel also has a correct color passenger door I need to figure out a way to pick up. I'm headed to Logan next Sat and could pick up then. Both the bed and the door will just need the black painted to match the rest of the truck. That's something I'll do

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have nothing going on next week and could go to logan for you... gives me a reason to put more money into the redneck retirement fund...