Volvo ownership experience?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Anyone have real-world Volvo ownership experience, specifically the 2000's and up? They are one brand of car that interests me for a daily-driver, I know they pride themselves on how safe they are in an accident and that they're solidly built. Obviously they're a European car and parts and repair costs are more than a Japanese car, I'm already used to that with my VW. I've been doing some reading online and it sounds like they are pretty reliable, but can nickle & dime you with repairs frequently. I usually do my own work on cars, so it's not like I'll have to pay a shop for minor repairs, just don't want a money pit.

I like the idea of a beefy AWD car with a turbo-charged engine, hoping for a car that allows spirited driving, excellent handling and long lasting with minimal issues. I'm not ready to give up on my TDI Jetta DD as I love the fuel mileage, but don't really need a 3rd vehicle around either. The downside is that a turbo car will require premium gas and the MPG's aren't great, so it'll cost me 2x as much to drive over diesel at todays prices. Good thing gas is cheap (for now)! :eek:

I've been digging the idea of a 2" lift on a mid-2000's XC70, outfitted with a decent set of AT tires, a few offroad lights on the front bumper and a low profile roof rack. The car would be a DD, but also a weekend roadtrip/camping car worthy of some mild dirt roads to get away from the crowds.

I posted in Andrews Subaru thread, but there's a company that makes 2" lifts for these, here are a couple examples of what I'm thinking about...

p1.jpg

1698.jpg

Troop92

I can't comment on reliability, as my "real world" experience is limited to a nearly 3 week rental (2.5 weeks in Maine, one weekend Utah) of a 2013 Volvo S60 T5 AWD covering nearly 2,000 miles. That said, I can tell you about a few other observations.

MILEAGE - I was blown away by this. With a 70 hwy / 30 city split in Maine, I was getting high 20s, and I didn't baby it. The weekend in Utah I did to/from Vegas from SLC (no city) and averaged 32.6mpg - my calculations, not the computer.

ENGINE - The T5 engine is a sweet one, quiet when cruising but burly when needed. No slouch with 250hp/266tq.

SEATS/COMFORT - Volvo should make seats for every car manufacturer. They're wildly comfortable, I've never actually felt good after a 6 hour, 500 mile drive until driving this. Just envelope you and are firm and supportive.

"CITY SAFETY" SYSTEM - didn't intend to use this, but it saved my bacon. I was in Portland, ME and while enjoying the architecture around town didn't notice the traffic in front of me had slowed. The car stopped itself about a foot from the bumper of the Mercedes in front if me. It was one of those "holy crap" moments that you really feel immediately after with the clammy hands and whatnot.

CAR IN GENERAL - Build quality felt solid, stereo was nice, trunk was decently big. Loved the interior, exterior was handsome in deep blue.

Honestly, that vaulted the S60 (or whatever model is around) to my wish list for when I get a newer/nicer car some day.

Greg

Admin
I can't comment on reliability, as my "real world" experience is limited to a nearly 3 week rental (2.5 weeks in Maine, one weekend Utah) of a 2013 Volvo S60 T5 AWD covering nearly 2,000 miles. That said, I can tell you about a few other observations.

MILEAGE - I was blown away by this. With a 70 hwy / 30 city split in Maine, I was getting high 20s, and I didn't baby it. The weekend in Utah I did to/from Vegas from SLC (no city) and averaged 32.6mpg - my calculations, not the computer.

ENGINE - The T5 engine is a sweet one, quiet when cruising but burly when needed. No slouch with 250hp/266tq.

SEATS/COMFORT - Volvo should make seats for every car manufacturer. They're wildly comfortable, I've never actually felt good after a 6 hour, 500 mile drive until driving this. Just envelope you and are firm and supportive.

"CITY SAFETY" SYSTEM - didn't intend to use this, but it saved my bacon. I was in Portland, ME and while enjoying the architecture around town didn't notice the traffic in front of me had slowed. The car stopped itself about a foot from the bumper of the Mercedes in front if me. It was one of those "holy crap" moments that you really feel immediately after with the clammy hands and whatnot.

CAR IN GENERAL - Build quality felt solid, stereo was nice, trunk was decently big. Loved the interior, exterior was handsome in deep blue.

Honestly, that vaulted the S60 (or whatever model is around) to my wish list for when I get a newer/nicer car some day.

Wow, that's a great review! Thank for sharing! I wish I could afford a recent model like the one you drove!

An XC70 is on my short list of cars that I want to own. Just something about an AWD wagon just brings the awesome to me.

Same here, I don't know what the attraction is but they're pretty interesting!

I always wanted a XC70 on portals, I'm not sure if it is this one or not but I read an article about someone doing it a few years ago.

View attachment 102489

Yeah, IIRC that was a Dakar race build!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My Mom has a T5 sedan I think it's a 14, it's fast! The backseat has almost as much bolstering as a front seat and it's hard for me (thinner guy) to get into and out of. I know she's put a huge number of miles on it with zero issues.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I think they are kind of cool. I bought one a few years ago with a blown headgasket. I figured I'd fix it up and drive it to work. It ended up being a pain in the butt. After getting it all fixed up and driving it around for about 20 miles, the bottom end seized up. After that, I sawzaled it to show it my disdain.

If you have the chance look for an R version. They are twin turbo and 350 hp. It'll blow your mind.

Jeepj667

My wife worked for enterprise in the early 2000's and said the Volvo's were constantly needing windshields from stress cracks.

Greg

Admin
My Mom has a T5 sedan I think it's a 14, it's fast! The backseat has almost as much bolstering as a front seat and it's hard for me (thinner guy) to get into and out of. I know she's put a huge number of miles on it with zero issues.

Good to hear! The huge miles and minimal problems is a good sign, thanks!

I think they are kind of cool. I bought one a few years ago with a blown headgasket. I figured I'd fix it up and drive it to work. It ended up being a pain in the butt. After getting it all fixed up and driving it around for about 20 miles, the bottom end seized up. After that, I sawzaled it to show it my disdain.

If you have the chance look for an R version. They are twin turbo and 350 hp. It'll blow your mind.

:cool: I've been checking out some R's, Volvo makes a 'low pressure turbo' engine and a 'high pressure turbo' engine and the R gets the high pressure turbo, of course! Yeah, 350 HP and AWD would be fun!

My wife worked for enterprise in the early 2000's and said the Volvo's were constantly needing windshields from stress cracks.

That's good to know, apparently the body isn't rigid enough?

I just got back from test driving a '04 XC70 that has just over 200k miles. It's pretty beat-up, the owners haven't taken very good care of it inside, interior shows where their dogs claws have torn up and punctured the arm rests, center console, etc. The wiper switch is broken, chewed on by the dog. Drivers window is taped up, since the power window linkage is broken. And it had a broken windshield! The car drove well, sounds like it has an exhaust/boost leak though.

That said, it was pretty fast! :eek: I'm pretty sure that big car was faster than my turned up TDI Jetta. I held the brake, stepped on the gas and did a launch under boost and it was pretty respectable for stock!

They're asking $3k, but I wouldn't pay that in the condition that it's in. She said they'd probably take any offer, but with high miles and sketchy ownership (and maintenance?) I think it could turn into a money pit. We'll see... I'd think about it at $1k, but I don't think I'd replace it with my Jetta, so it becomes another play thing. I really don't need another toy/vehicle right now.

Greg

Admin
One huge downside of a high miles Volvo, plan on about $4000 if you have transmission failure

Yeah, I don't doubt that... I have seen quite a few being sold for cheap with bad transmissions. I did also see a complete transmission/t-case assembly with 90k miles on it for $300. Seems like cheap insurance, just in case!

I'd rather spend a little more and end up with something that has low miles, but at this point I think I'll just stick with what I have and dream about a Volvo... that seems cheaper. ;)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
2015?! it seems like yesterday :thinking:

Just took the plunge on a clean one owner 2008 XC90 for my wife. Since we moved across the country we had do sell the Subaru which was was actually pretty hard to do—we liked that car a lot. Anyway what’s unique about this particular Volvo is the Yamaha built V8 with 311hp and a six speed Aisin transmission. Money pit? We’ll see I guess.

Not sure how to post pics but we’re planning on taking it ‘off-road’ (and hopefully not get eaten by an alligator) this weekend.

Troop92

2015?! it seems like yesterday :thinking:

Just took the plunge on a clean one owner 2008 XC90 for my wife. Since we moved across the country we had do sell the Subaru which was was actually pretty hard to do—we liked that car a lot. Anyway what’s unique about this particular Volvo is the Yamaha built V8 with 311hp and a six speed Aisin transmission. Money pit? We’ll see I guess.

Not sure how to post pics but we’re planning on taking it ‘off-road’ (and hopefully not get eaten by an alligator) this weekend.

My cousin has one identical to yours, his wife loves it, won't get rid of it. They've had minimal issues with it, to my knowledge.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Greg, my input here is strictly observational so take it for what it is.

Volvo's are a fairly common vehicle up here but I don't see too many that are more than 10 years old. That's something i always look at when i am considering a purchase, do I see many older models still on the road? In the case of Volvo I do not. It could be that they all end up running for 20+ years in another market