Hunting hearing protection - Any recommendations?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
So I'm heading up to MT to do some coyote hunting with some far more experienced gents. They've got my back on most of the gear I'll need (caller, etc) but they did recommend I get "electronic ears" to accommodate the whispering and load noises alike :D

So, any recommendations of an affordable pair? I'm planning to swing by Sportsmans and I've been browsing online too. I don't want to break the bank. I'm finding some on Amazon in the $65-80 range, something like this: http://amzn.com/B001T7QJ9O

Or, something a little lower dollar like these:
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...r-9D2HkX1Sh6figQRQGwIUXJ8TTqm-HORc1!420551509

Am I going to regret not spending a little more?

Any suggestions or recommendations? Perhaps some place locally that would have a better selection than Sportsmans? Cabelas?

Last edited:

Caleb

I've got a couple pairs like you linked to on Amazon and I like them a lot. Zero complaints, do what they say they do, and you can usually pick them up for $40 or less. I got mine a couple years ago on a black friday sale through cabelas for $19 each. Cabelas usually has them on the shelf as does Scheels but Scheels is a little more usually.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have the exact Howard Leight ones you linked...no complaints. Actually, I like them a lot. My kids enjoy playing with them too, since they have super-hearing with them. ;)

DAA

I've got Peltor, HL, a couple others. Hate them all. Wind noise, not directional worth a dang, clunking on rifle stock at the absolute WORST possible moments etc. Fine for the range or plinking but I seriously can not stand to wear any of them for coyote hunting. I mostly don't use any ear protection while hunting. But when I do, it's simple foam ear plugs.

There are in-ear electronic units that work really well, but they are in the thousands. Even the cheap ones are around $500, per ear.

My opinion, the best hearing protection for coyote hunting is a suppressor on your rifle. I don't have any yet though. And my hearing is badly, badly damaged, too.

- DAA

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I've got Peltor, HL, a couple others. Hate them all. Wind noise, not directional worth a dang, clunking on rifle stock at the absolute WORST possible moments etc. Fine for the range or plinking but I seriously can not stand to wear any of them for coyote hunting. I mostly don't use any ear protection while hunting. But when I do, it's simple foam ear plugs.

There are in-ear electronic units that work really well, but they are in the thousands. Even the cheap ones are around $500, per ear.

My opinion, the best hearing protection for coyote hunting is a suppressor on your rifle. I don't have any yet though. And my hearing is badly, badly damaged, too.

- DAA

This. I never use hearing protection while hunting. I can't stand anything like that when I'm hunting. When I'm out plinking or sighting in the rifle, I'll use ear plugs, but when hunting I go all natural in regards to protection ;)

Caleb

That is a good point, I've never used them hunting only while out plinking. With my suppressor, it doesn't even activate them :D

Yah, My recommendation doesn't mean I like wearing the protection, just that they work as well or better than other brands I've tried and I am not willing to go without.