Diesel Brothers show on Discovery

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Anyone watching this? Pretty cool to see local guys building massive, high-powered diesel trucks! One of our RME members is the head mechanic, Steve (ChevyCrew) and he has a lot of experience building big vehicles. The trucks they build are overkill, but they DO go offroad! (Nothing worse than a big truck that stays on the street. ;) ) Anyhow, thought it's neat to see what they're doing and happy to see some locals making it big on Discovery Channel with a show. :cool:

The show runs on Mondays, 8 PM Mountain Time on the Discovery Channel.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/diesel-brothers/

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I meant to set that on the DVR, wasn't on demand yet last I checked. I need to remember to do that

Greg

Admin
If you go to the Discovery Channel link I included you can watch the first episode online, not sure the other episodes will be online too.

SWALLDOG

I do think it's pretty cool these guys have a show and that they are local. Most of them seem like pretty cool cats. I haven't seen it yet, but been seeing their stuff on FB and IG for a few years.

That being said, and I've been saying it for a while, they HACK stuff together. And it's pretty bad, probably the worst I've seen out of a "professional" shop. Now I'm talking suspension, fabrication, steering ect. ya know the important stuff. At first, from seeing the pics they post, I thought maybe it's not that bad, maybe there is some stuff I can't see. But after seeing their stuff in real life and being over there a few times and hearing some stories, it's terrible. Some of the stuff I couldn't even believe what I was seeing.

Now I don't normally knock other people work, and that's not what I'm trying to do. I mean I know I'm not the best out there, far from. But I feel like a "professional" shop, especially one that is now getting this kind of exposure, has an obligation to build stuff right and safe. Just because you have other shops pass off your safety inspections or run dealer plates, does not make it safe. I'm actually surprised that none of these trucks have had a catastrophic failure and killed a bus full of kids! Of course if something major ever did fail we would never hear about it. Don't let the fancy frosting fool ya, like Jessie James said, "cake decorators".

Ok, rant off.

Greg

Admin
I don't know about the build quality from these guys, but I've always wondered with these popular automotive tv shows what the overall quality was in the end. Even Gas Monkey Garage, the cars look great at the end but with such a rush, some important things have to get looked over, worked around, etc.

Jesser04

I do think it's pretty cool these guys have a show and that they are local. Most of them seem like pretty cool cats. I haven't seen it yet, but been seeing their stuff on FB and IG for a few years.

That being said, and I've been saying it for a while, they HACK stuff together. And it's pretty bad, probably the worst I've seen out of a "professional" shop. Now I'm talking suspension, fabrication, steering ect. ya know the important stuff. At first, from seeing the pics they post, I thought maybe it's not that bad, maybe there is some stuff I can't see. But after seeing their stuff in real life and being over there a few times and hearing some stories, it's terrible. Some of the stuff I couldn't even believe what I was seeing.

Now I don't normally knock other people work, and that's not what I'm trying to do. I mean I know I'm not the best out there, far from. But I feel like a "professional" shop, especially one that is now getting this kind of exposure, has an obligation to build stuff right and safe. Just because you have other shops pass off your safety inspections or run dealer plates, does not make it safe. I'm actually surprised that none of these trucks have had a catastrophic failure and killed a bus full of kids! Of course if something major ever did fail we would never hear about it. Don't let the fancy frosting fool ya, like Jessie James said, "cake decorators".

Ok, rant off.

I was at tire factory in woods cross today and one of there builds was there it will be in an episode I'm told. It looked good from 50' but when you got up close it was a joke headlights falling out no windshield washer spray nozzles little stuff that you would think would be easy... I guess if you put enough led light bars on there then nothing else matters. (This truck had I bet 20 bars/pods on it) I'd hate to see what the hard/important stuff looks like. At the end of the day there is enough 20 something rednecks that I believe the show will take off and hopefully there quality will improve as well. If you follow them on Instagram you'll notice about 1 in every 20 posts is someone saying I order stuff off your website 2-3 weeks ago and I haven't received my stuff.

Last edited:

boogie_4wheel

I live down the street from this place, and a few months ago I kept telling myself I needed to stop by and see what this place was all about. It seemed like money just runs out of the front doors when you open them.

Now that I've seen what they do (between the first episode on Discovery and the postings on IG) I have mixed results. Some of the stuff is awesome looking, like the 4-door Wrangler with the truck bed, which is for sale on their lot right now. I want to like the mid-90's Ford they are doing right now, but not every dually needs to be on 10-lug 24.5s. I can't make up my mind on the chevy tow mirrors in place of the wing vents.

And the DMax truck in the episode; pulling out the engine for a 12V Cummins?! Come on... Unless that had 3 torched pistons and a crankcase full of gravel, why pull it out? It wont pass emissions anymore.

The Jeep had a 'Roadkill' solution on the compound turbo setup. Instead of re-pipe it, just cut a hole in the hood? Shortcut way out. It's cool on Roadkill, because it's Roadkill, but I'd be a little pissed after $25k.

SWALLDOG

I live down the street from this place, and a few months ago I kept telling myself I needed to stop by and see what this place was all about. It seemed like money just runs out of the front doors when you open them.

Now that I've seen what they do (between the first episode on Discovery and the postings on IG) I have mixed results. Some of the stuff is awesome looking, like the 4-door Wrangler with the truck bed, which is for sale on their lot right now. I want to like the mid-90's Ford they are doing right now, but not every dually needs to be on 10-lug 24.5s. I can't make up my mind on the chevy tow mirrors in place of the wing vents.

And the DMax truck in the episode; pulling out the engine for a 12V Cummins?! Come on... Unless that had 3 torched pistons and a crankcase full of gravel, why pull it out? It wont pass emissions anymore.

The Jeep had a 'Roadkill' solution on the compound turbo setup. Instead of re-pipe it, just cut a hole in the hood? Shortcut way out. It's cool on Roadkill, because it's Roadkill, but I'd be a little pissed after $25k.
Where do you live boogie? I'm in the valentine estates just across from the sky park airport.

I also like that jk, it has a diesel in it. But I think they are selling it on consignment from bruser conversions. It was built by bruser conversions as a shop vehicle.

boogie_4wheel

Where do you live boogie? I'm in the valentine estates just across from the sky park airport.

NSL in the Foxboro development directly south of you (bergen Legacy and Redwood), where the houses are REALLY close together. I'm lucky and have a bunch of side parking for truck/trailers and shed access while the 99% barely have a man-gate on one side.

Last edited:

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Watched this show last night and it seems like they have cool ideas but look past the small details. How do you light a truck on fire in a shop on accident?

Trate D

Watched this show last night and it seems like they have cool ideas but look past the small details. How do you light a truck on fire in a shop on accident?

Yup, my thoughts too. It's all the detail stuff people want to see done right aswell (6inches of thread on the rear u bolts before and after the Willys build) . I think it's funny the truck it shows them torching under is a dodge but it was the duramax that caught on fire....

Agreed boogie_4wheel it was strange the show says they are going to cummins swap the duramax. They never did though it stayed a duramax.

I think it will be an entertaining show to say the least. It is very cool it's a local company. I just hate every automotive show like this has unrealistic deadlines on every build. I think that's just to up the tempo of the show but it shouldn't drop the quality of the build. If ya can't build it right in the time allowed don't build it....

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
You guys need to remember this is a tv show meant for entertainment. It is not a build documentary. Drama may be fabricated as fast as parts ....

As for build quality, I didnt see any of their projects before Steve (chevycrew) was hired as the shop foreman but i think thats why he was hired and quality is just fine now. Dont judge by every little unfinished detail on the show. The deadlines are set for filming most often. Not the consumer. Im sure they have shoot dates and the show has to be filmed whether the project is 100% done or not.

Bottom line is its an entertaining show and dont expect more than that from it. Dave posted their ratings were #1 for a Discovery premiere in that time slot. #2 for any time slot. Pretty friggin awesome IMO

Coco

I watched the first one, and really enjoyed it. I think they do some good work, some stuff that is just ridiculous and not needed, but for the most part, very nice.

I'd like to meet the crew someday (granted I have wanted to way before the show)