Dodge Cummins expedition option.

FatTony

I am looking at dodge 2500 from 1996 to 2006 with the diesel manual quad cab short bed. I am looking to do a lot of offroading with the truck, nothing to hard but I dont want to turn around because the road gets to hard. I will like to put a flippac camper on it, 3" carli lift with 37'" under it. Now my question is, has anyone taken one of this trucks off road and just feel like it is just a huge heavy beast to get down small dirt roads. Next question is there really anything huge difference in the motor over those time frame mostly the 2004 and newer trucks. I know the body change a lot but as far as i can tell the motor doesn't change much. I know the front end needs to have a close eye on it so it doesn't come apart on it. just out of curiosity has anyone ran hydro assist steering on there daily driver, I feel like it would help with bump steer and high speed down dirt roads.

Tonkaman

Now my question is, has anyone taken one of this trucks off road and just feel like it is just a huge heavy beast to get down small dirt roads.

I used to take my Duramax off-road exploring quite a bit. I loved being able to pack anything we wanted and being extra comfortable. In the end I got rid of it because it was just so big it got a little dangerous. Some roads got too narrow and if washed out would pull my big heavy truck right to the edge. Several times I had to reverse for thousands of feet because of a gate or road damage and the truck was just too long to flip around. Reversing uphill across a narrow shelf road with snow on both sides is totally nerve racking!

IMO it's an awesome build idea but even the most built truck will be a handfull on trails that your Tacoma would stroll right through.

Pile of parts

I have a 2001, 2500 Cummins, 6 speed, Long bed, Quad Cab with stock suspension. The only time it starts to ride nice is when it has a load on it. I haven't done any real offroading in it - just some dirt roads out hunting. That's been enough to make me wonder who would ever want to wheel one. Now, with modified suspension it might be different. Mine is used for towing duties and we have 9' camper but it really only sees highway miles. The short bed would be a little more maneuverable and the drivetrain is solid, but like you said, you have to keep an eye on the front end.

Engine differences are mainly power differences. However, there are different injection pumps/systems that you can research for the different years. The 98-02 24 valve, like I have are probably the noisiest. 2003 and up will be the common rail and much quieter (inside and out). 2003 and up will get you a little bigger cab and rear doors that open like normal doors. You can find a lot of information. Cumminsforum.com is a pretty good source. I'm not a diesel expert but would be happy to answer any questions I can.

I too, have considered using mine for some light expedition/exploring. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

FatTony

Thanks for the info so far. I am doing all my comparing to a double cab tacoma short bed. The dodge is 20" longer wheelbase and 6" difference in turning radius. I am planning on the sides of the truck to get some short of damage just because it is so wide. The problem with the tacoma is that its not meant to handle the weight of anything after market. Just with the lift, tires, front bumper I am over the gross vehicle weight.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I just bought at 96 with the specification you want except mine is a long bed, and have near the same intent. 94-02 body/frame is virtually the same, in 98 the "quad cab" became available which is suicide doors for the extra cab previous years didn't have rear doors. 94-98 has the 12V mechanical motor, 98.5-02 has the 24V electronically controlled motor. 03+ has the common rail. In the earlier models manual trucks have a little more tuned power, I think 00 is when the 6 speed popped up.

They are giant pigs to drive around, I couldn't imagine taking them on more than dirt roads with light obstacles. I don't know a lot about the 03+ trucks, this is my 3rd second gen so I have a bit more knowledge. Manual trucks are fairly difficult to come by, most people want a premium for them, or have tuned and messed with them so much they may become unreliable. Short beds in the earlier models are harder to come by still. I also wanted a short bed but ended up settling for a long bed, that had been well used as a truck, but was mechanically well taken care of, also purchased from the original owner.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
My dad had a Dodge 99 quad cab, long bed, manual transmission with a super low 1st gear. That truck was my favorite thing to cruise around in when I was 16.

AaronPaige

I have a 06 quad cab, short bed but with an auto that I pull my toys with, it has been turned up some and has been running 37 in toyo mt all its life. I believe the mileage is at about 90,000 and I have loved the truck. It pulls great has only needed "normal" maintance ( all front end ware parts) and looks great but off road it's way front end heavy, the rear never gets good traction and in snow/mud forget about it unless it's a full throttle assault. And unless you plan on major trimming you will need more that 3 in of lift for 37s ( I have a 6 and still rub) but sounds like you know what you want, I'd love to see it off-road

boogie_4wheel

FatTony, that is a broad range of years that will get you many differences in truck, and I think you need to narrow it down more.

'94-98 12V P7100 Injection Pump. 47RE 4spd Auto or NV4500 5spd Man. Quad cab got the 4 doors in 98 (only year that the 12V got the 4 doors). CAD (Central Axle Disconnect) on front axle with vacuum actuator.

'98.5-02 24V VP44 Electronic Injection Pump. 47RE or NV4500 5spd Man, IIRC it was '00.5 that you could get the High Output rated at 505ft-lb and was only had with the NV5600 6spd manual. Also has the CAD axle vacuum actuated. Exterior remains same as '94-98 trucks with minor differences, interior changes easily noticeable. Common problems are failure of the engine block mounted lift pumps, which will cause the injection pump to fail. Rule of thumb is to maintain 5psi fuel pressure to the IP for lube/cooling. New IP is ~$1200 last time I replaced one. #53 engine blocks prone to cracking, as old as they are now any that was going to crack would have already done so, so I wouldn't worry about this. I think they got disc brakes on the rear axle in '00.

'03-04 24V Common Rail CP3 Injection. 47RE, 48RE, NV5600. There were 3 different power output levels available, Cali, Normal, HO. Doesn't matter to the aftermarket as the tuners/chips all work the same. 2 Injection events. Loss of CAD axle, it is always live, the front drive shaft is always active. HE341 turbo. The later model HE351 is a direct bolt on. 4 real doors, but the back seat doesn't have much more room than the earlier model trucks, but it is more useable. Problems are high pressure injectors require good fuel filtration; don't skimp on filters, and many people add external 2 micron fuel filters to increase injector life. If an injector fails open it can torch the piston.

'04.5-05 24V Common Rail CP3 Injection. 48RE, NV5600. '05 might have been the first year of the G56 6spd man that replaced the NV5600, I can't remember, but the G56 has a shorter OD ratio, and the 48RE has the tallest OD ratio of the group. Bump to 325HP. Engines gain 3rd injection event (ever so slight loss in fuel economy) for emissions reasons. HE351 turbo. All trucks are considered HO and have same power rating regardless of location or transmission. Injectors have different spray pattern than 03-04. Problems are high pressure injectors require good fuel filtration; don't skimp on filters, and many people add external 2 micron fuel filters to increase injector life. If an injector fails open it can torch the piston.

'06-07 24V Common Rail CP3 Injection. Still 325HP. 48RE, G56. Update to front clip and complete interior. MegaCab available. Different engine computer allows for EFILive tuning (more memory). All electrics go to TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) which is a smart relay control module thingamajig that likes to shit the bed on a short circuit or overload condition. Problems are high pressure injectors require good fuel filtration; don't skimp on filters, and many people add external 2 micron fuel filters to increase injector life. If an injector fails open it can torch the piston.

'07.5 First year of the 6.7L (loaded with emissions garb), 68RFE.

May dad has an '01 (278k, Edge-EZ module), my FIL has a '99 (stock), I have an '05 (Edge Juice/CTS and shift kit), and my dad has a '14. When I got my '05, we were all amazed in how much more comfortable, quieter, smoother riding, and more power it had over the '01. We now say the same thing with the '14 when compared to my '05, and it makes the '01 sound and feel like a diesel farm tractor from the 80's.

All have held their value really well in the used market, and it is hard to find a clean one anymore. Manual trans are going for a premium, it's insane.

Tough choice on which one to get. All will be similarly capable offroad because they are so similar on the axles & suspensions. If I had to choose, I'd get a 2nd Gen (98.5-02). Less electronics less wires, easily converted for 2-Low operation if desired. Feels like heavier/thicker body than the 3rd Gen trucks. Injectors are much cheaper than on the CR engines. But, if there are more than 2 people going, then get an '03+ for the extra leg room.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
For what you're talking about, not much more than dirt roads, it would probably be OK. We tried wheelin in our '03 Dodge 4 door tow rig on mild 4x4 trails, it was OK but the ride was rough and the rear leafs got wheelhop real bad on loose climbs. We also wasted front ball joints in quick order. IMO it's too big, heavy & expensive to do any real offroading, we just had a budget boost on the front but the best thing we did to make it ride better was get a set of 315's BFG AT's... more sidewall = better offroad ride. I'm not sold on the idea of wheelin a 3/4 ton Dodge, but YMMV.

Our tow rig/expedition build thread - www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?49449-Tow-rig-expedition-vehicle

One of our trip reports- www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?51073-Moab-Bull-Canyon-with-Tow-Rigs-Jan-21st

attachment.php

FatTony

Thanks everyone for the info. It seems like I just need to figure out how often i take people with me and if i want to drive something that heavy. I believe the years i will be getting is 2001-2005, and it just depends on the caring extra people or a great deal. It just seems like the truck can handle the weight of the camping gear but driving it down a lot of dirt roads will just make it fall apart in other places.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I had an 01 Dodge CTD LWB a few years back. I enjoyed driving it all over on the backroads/dirtroads of UT, ID and WY. I put a lot of dirt only miles on it and had few complaints. I loved the engine, the fuel mileage/range and the ability to haul or tow heavy without issue. I thought it was really comfortable too which is not something you often hear from this era of Dodge truck owners. That said it was NOT fun in the rocks, mud, deep snow, 4x4 'trails' or on narrow roads with a cliff on one side haha. Although they have a very stout drivetrain I personally feel those front axles are under enough stress as it is with the power/weight of the diesel. 37" tires and lifts only make matters worse. The rear springs are very stiff as mentioned above. Airing down is a must.

Mine had a stock automatic transmission, #53 block and an original VP44 injector pump--fyi all are expensive to replace and none of them are known for outstanding reliability. I convinced myself at least one of those three things was going to give me issues (although there was no sign of it) in the near future so I sold it :-\

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We have done the full size truck for exploring for many years. We air down, and it's not too bad.
That being said, we have only done generic dirt road type exploring. Nothing even semi-challenging.
I have found that stuff gets real tight, real fast. Turning sucks, the ride is not good, costs are way up.
We are wanting to do eagle canyon in just a few months, but may have to change plans, as I don't know that we will fit in the tunnels.

My buddy has an 06 ram, 4door, short bed, BIG lift, and 35's. Used to have 37's. We have had it in some pretty sketchy situations while hunting. It's wide, and top heavy.

I once had to go pick him and his dirtbike up (in his truck) after a crash up Mary Ellen's. Early in the trail there is a spot where there is a trail that ties in on the hillside from the lower trail (that's an exact coordinate ;) )
I nearly flopped his dodge there going up, but throttled through to save my life. On the way down I said my prayers and hammered down through it. VERY VERY scary. Simple trails like Mary Ellen's are too skinny and bouncy for a full size Cummins.