Big bore kit?

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Do I buy a big bore kit for my klx250 to make it 351, or just buy a bigger bike? The big bore kit will run around 550$ and has a really good reputation.

Concerns:
I am super short and the klx has a rideable seat height without using a lowering kit.
If I buy a bigger bike I will only have a budget of around 3k.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12904

I think you should look at a bigger bike personally if power is an issue.

Tonkaman

That's like putting lipstick on a pig. Get a different bike. You are asking for problems. Stay stock or get something different

Yup been there, done that, and wouldn't do it again. It would cost a small fortune to take a bike of that age and completely rebuild it. The stress of the new power will wear everything out too quickly if you don't go over it all.

How short is way short? I've got a 29" inseam and don't let it slow me down.

Marsh99

Yup been there, done that, and wouldn't do it again. It would cost a small fortune to take a bike of that age and completely rebuild it. The stress of the new power will wear everything out too quickly if you don't go over it all.

How short is way short? I've got a 29" inseam and don't let it slow me down.

The only real reason I was interested was this was a bike that came as a 300 in the trail version and 250 as the dual sport. People have had pretty good luck with just swapping heads and pistons.
I have a 28-29 inseam but am getting more comfortable on being able to tip toe my curtent bike with a 35 inch seat height.

D

Deleted member 12904

Have you spent much time on a bigger bike? I just think you would enjoy it way more over a BBk 250. IMO $3k will buy a great used bike. I've done BBk in a few different things and my experience is unless you need to do a rebuild or you are willing to do head work/bigger cams the power vs cost is never worth it.

Lets set up a ride and you can try a few bikes out and see what you think

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I did a big bore on my 400 (it went to a 440) and has nothing but love for it.

I I put a big bore on my 450 (changed it to 488 or something) and I was less than impressed

Marsh99

Have you spent much time on a bigger bike? I just think you would enjoy it way more over a BBk 250. IMO $3k will buy a great used bike. I've done BBk in a few different things and my experience is unless you need to do a rebuild or you are willing to do head work/bigger cams the power vs cost is never worth it.

Lets set up a ride and you can try a few bikes out and see what you think

Riding a bigger bike was what started this problem. I went riding with a friend that rides a YZ450 and I took his bike for a spin. I could only tip toe on one foot to hold up the bike, but the power difference was unreal.

rholbrook

Riding a bigger bike was what started this problem. I went riding with a friend that rides a YZ450 and I took his bike for a spin. I could only tip toe on one foot to hold up the bike, but the power difference was unreal.
You can lower any of the bikes to fit your needs. I have a friend who is 5'9" that lowers all of his bikes 1.5 inches. It just gives him more control in hard areas he feels. I personally don't like it lowered. You seem to catch things with the bottom of the frame and I tend to catch my boots on stuff more often. You learn to ride it either way, you just need to make sure that before you stop, you get it on 1st gear and you slide of the seat to one side a little and you will pretty much not care any more once you get used to it.

Tonkaman

That comparison is pretty skewed. The KLX could never compare to the power and feel of a YZ. They really are apples and oranges built for completely different purposes. I'm not trying to pick on the KLX just saying it was built to feel smoother and softer which translates into a less performance oriented bike.

If it were newer id say go for it but with that many years of use it may not like the change too much.

Marsh99

That comparison is pretty skewed. The KLX could never compare to the power and feel of a YZ. They really are apples and oranges built for completely different purposes. I'm not trying to pick on the KLX just saying it was built to feel smoother and softer which translates into a less performance oriented bike.

If it were newer id say go for it but with that many years of use it may not like the change too much.

I completely agree with you that is apples to oranges comparison. I bought the klx because of the seat height and an entry level bike to get use too. I know eventually I will buy a bigger bike. My klx is in great shape and it only has 1600 miles on it. I added racetech suspension to the front forks last year and I was thinking a big bore kit would give me a little more power and more seat time on a smaller bike this year.

The other part of me says screw it and buy a kx450!

Tonkaman

Best case is your out $600 bucks for the big bore kit and it's everything you hoped.

Worst case is the motor pops and your out pretty much the whole value of the bike. I know the odds are slim but that's a big risk

Marsh99

Best case is your out $600 bucks for the big bore kit and it's everything you hoped.

Worst case is the motor pops and your out pretty much the whole value of the bike. I know the odds are slim but that's a big risk

This is what my fear is.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Personally, most of us don't need a 450, I love them, but unless you're a duner, sx rider or desert racer, you can really hone your skills on most 250's,
bet you'll never hear that from me again.

Marsh99

Personally, most of us don't need a 450, I love them, but unless you're a duner, sx rider or desert racer, you can really hone your skills on most 250's,
bet you'll never hear that from me again.

Yeah I know you are absolutely right. I have decided against the big bore kit and when the time is right to buy a new bike.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Yeah I know you are absolutely right. I have decided against the big bore kit and when the time is right to buy a new bike.

If your carefull and not in a hurry you can buy a great 2stroke bike for 3g's. but you have to take your time and really look em over. now a 4stroke for 3g's might cost you another 3's in a rebuild if your not extremely careful,