Teraflex Alpine Flexarms

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
My first JK was a 2012 4 door Rubicon. My only suspension mod was a Teraflex leveling kit. I racked up 42k miles on the ODO before I traded it in on my 2015 JK 2 door Rubicon.

With the new JKR I went with the Mopar Performance 2" lift. This lift does not include control arms, and uses cam bolts to adjust your caster.

The JKUR (4 door Rubicon) was pretty comfortable with highway speeds. The new JKR, with its 2" lift (that actually nets over 3") was white knuckle on the highway, even after adding the cam bolts to gain some caster back. I wouldn't even drive the new Jeep over 65 mph because it felt so flighty and wandered all over the lane.

I researched the forums and found many JK owners experiencing the same issue. The solution requires adding either Goemetry Correction Brackets, or aftermarket front lower control arms (LCA's).

The Geo brackets are clearly the cheapest option (about $100 from various manufacturers) and they return your front end geometry to stockish specs. The con here is decreased ground clearance, as they literally just space your control arms down.

I knew I didn't want rock fangs under my Jeep, so control arms were in my future. There are either fixed arms, or adjustable arms available from a bazillion different manufacturers. I wanted adjustable arms so I could adjust the caster again later if I made other changes to the suspension.

Most adjustable control arms use a cartridge joint at one or both ends. I don't care for cartridge joints. The added maintenance isn't worth the small gain in flex. I've never had a problem with factory style bushings in my control arms.

Hosted by JeepParking.com

I had been researching adjustable arms for about a month when SEMA brought us the latest and greatest from the aftermarket. Teraflex came out with its new line of Alpine Flexarms. These new arms are adjustable, but use factory style bushings. They also use an aluminum pinch collar in lieu of a jamb nut.

I picked up a set of these new Teraflex Alpine Flexarms and installed and adjusted them. They were really simple to install. No need for a jack, just remove one OEM control arm at a time and replace with the new shiny goodness.

After checking my measurements and tightening all hardware, I took the Jeep for a spin. Everything felt the same as before until I approached 50 mph. Then 60 mph, 70, and all the way to 80 mph. No vibes, no pull to one side, NO MORE WANDER! WOOT!

My JKR is now a joy to drive on the highway. I can cruise at highway speeds with only 1 hand on the wheel. I've had these arms on for 2 months now and nothing has changed, no squeaks or clunks or any kind of binding.

Thanks Teraflex for making the exact high quality parts I really wanted, but couldn't find anywhere else. I would absolutely recommend these arms to anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20151204_161540.jpg
    IMG_20151204_161540.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20151204_161437.jpg
    IMG_20151204_161437.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20151204_161511.jpg
    IMG_20151204_161511.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20151204_135635.jpg
    IMG_20151204_135635.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20151204_140305.jpg
    IMG_20151204_140305.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been waiting to see this post, after hearing how much of a difference they made for you! Thanks for taking the time to write this up Jeremy! :)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Maybe it was a different kind of "flighty-ness" but I felt the same thing in my '13 2 door and fixed it with a Teraflex HD track bar. I had the 2.5" TF spring lift.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm a big fan of the OEM style bushing. If you ever replace the bushings, do not use the version with the D window in them. Teraflex sells the good ones, I always get a bunch from there when I build arms.

I dig the pinch collar instead of the jam nut. Nice product!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm a big fan of the OEM style bushing. If you ever replace the bushings, do not use the version with the D window in them. Teraflex sells the good ones, I always get a bunch from there when I build arms.

I dig the pinch collar instead of the jam nut. Nice product!
The good old Clevite standard style is just a tried and true bushing.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've been running these arms for over a year now and they are freakin awesome. So quiet, and maintenance free. I've adjusted them for length twice, once last week. The pinch collar bolts were still snug, but backed out easily with no bind.

AWESOME ARMS!

[video=youtube;y23ezJsrVyI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y23ezJsrVyI[/video]