79 Toyota Hilux 4x4 (the Rot Box)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
SOLD

1979 Toyota Hilux 4x4 short bed.
20R carb'ed engine
G52 5 speed transmission
IFS rear axle - Lock Right locker - 5.29 Yukon gears - 1.5" spacers
Waggy 44 front - 1/2" tubes - open diff - 5.38 gears - stock shafts (pretty sure) - diff guard - Warn premiums.
Ford F150 rear springs with frenched hangers. U-bolt flip.
Trail gear 3" front springs. U-bolt flip.
IFS steering box. Reid knuckle with hi-steer/x-over arm.

Extras include:

All-Pro drive shaft park brake
New CV rear driveshaft with thicker tubing
Extra running (original) 20R engine. Has rattle that sounds like timing chain slap.. never investigated.
Complete 4.7 Marlin crawler transfer case (not installed) with 'poor mans' twin stick.
Full set of OEM chrome wheels.
Lots of misc drivetrain/body/interior parts.
Marlin Crawler rear tube bumper.
New radiator.. well I put a new one in it right before I parked it.
Newer Interstate Mega-Tron battery.
Vintage aluminum camper shell WITH sweet wooden gun rack lol.
Set of hub flanges in case selectable hub breaks on the trail.
Tom Woods front driveshaft. Old school ag-spline.
No name 8000k winch.

Needs:

-TLC
-Most of the tires are dry cracked.
-Engine 'sweats' oil but otherwise runs good. I changed oil every 3000 miles and never had to add between intervals.
-I did most of the welding on this truck when I was in my early 20's and it is not very pretty.. If I was serious about getting this back on the road I'd look over all the brackets/hangers really well and clean it up where needed. The rear bumper mounts are terrible.. (I will elaborate if interested).
-No emissions equipment. I blocked off the EGR and removed all of the smog equipment.
-There is no choke. Though a little cranky below freezing I never had trouble starting it.
-There is a ball valve in place of heater control because I was too lazy to fix it the right way.
-Giant holes in the door panel where someone had 6x9 speakers mounted at some point. Some of the wiring could be cleaned up a bit.
-Tie rod end is shot.
-Has OEM size master cylinder which feels spongy with the larger D44 front brake calipers. A dual booster and larger diameter (V6) master cylinder would be a good upgrade.
-Seats are not mounted very well.
-Shock towers front and rear aren't the best.
-Needs some touch up paint...

Misc:

Runs/drives but it has been sitting indoors for over six years now. I start it up every two months or so and bring the engine up to operating temperature. I drain/fill the gas annually with ethanol free and add Stabil. I drove this truck daily until the day I parked it. Hope the add paints a decent picture. This truck is butt ugly and beautiful at the same time.

Located 20 minutes north of Logan Utah. Call/text anytime 435-77 0 1 six 1 six. I'm asking $1200 firm. Given its current state I would plan on trailering it home.

Update: Sale is pending. Waiting to hear back from one RME'er otherwise it is fcfs.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Will update with better 'for sale' type pics asap.

DSC00743_zpsb0e1e274.jpg

DSC00613_zpsuipgetto.jpg

IMG_3058_zpsnl8lqoho.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Such a neat truck! I hate it every time you list it... :p A highschool friend had one just like that, but it was stock... I remember heading up AFC in that rough-riding SOB!

If it sells, would be nice to see it stick around the RME community.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Such a neat truck! I hate it very time you list it... :p A highschool friend had one just like that, but it was stock... I remember heading up AFC in that rough-riding SOB!

If it sells, would be nice to see it stick around the RME community.

I don't know how many times I've talked myself into and out of keeping it. This time I'm not backing out :-\

I hope someone keeps it together and enjoys it as much as I did. We'll see.

I would love to take this truck off your hands. PM me if your sale falls through.

I PM'ed him so I should be hearing back soon. I will let you know as soon as I find out. Thanks :cool:

sixstringsteve

this is one of my favorite rigs ever. SO much character. Imagine the stories it could tell. That's a fantastic price, I'm not surprised you have buyers lined up already.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Sale still pending. Will update asap.

If your sale falls through I will come pick it up asap. I've got a trailer ready and cash in hand. Let me know. Thanks!!

Will do thanks :)

Booo... hiss... I was hoping to see this on the Relic Run one of these years!

Hope it finds a good home.

I was too dang it :-\

Me too. Hopefully someone will enjoy it as much as I did. So many great memories.. Arg.. wish it had four doors.