My first knife build.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My first foray into knife building. Wife got me a precut billet to avoid lots of time and money invested into forging and heat treating tools and into something that I didn't know if I'd like, but everything else is all me. I think I'll do a sheath when I get some more free time.

Lots and lots of sanding. I don't think I'd like to be a paint and body guy.

Damascus steel and white linen melamine handle with copper pins.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
How did you decide on that design? Were you just copying something or did you have a different logical approach to the blade layout?

I'm pretty impressed and don't think that I could ever do something like this.

I've been watching Jimmy a bunch as well as Frank Howarth. I like both for production value and the simple nature they take to their projects. I sent this link to my wife last week to let her know I needed to make one.

blznnp

looks good, we use to do them for boy scouts when I was growing up. Want to try making my own out of a file.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
A precut blank. Similar to the top picture and I did some minor reshaping. The blade was pre-ground, that was my main concern doing my first knife was that I might ruin the heat treat. The next one I will buy an uncut billet and try my hand at grinding the blade and heat treat.

This one was kinda dipping my toes in the shallow end.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I've been watching forged in the fire also. Even been staring at forge designs lately. nice work

muleskinner

A precut blank. Similar to the top picture and I did some minor reshaping. The blade was pre-ground, that was my main concern doing my first knife was that I might ruin the heat treat. The next one I will buy an uncut billet and try my hand at grinding the blade and heat treat.

This one was kinda dipping my toes in the shallow end.

I'd suggest buying a 6' piece of 1080 or similar carbon steel and practicing with that. Or even smarter would be to grind on plain old flat strap while developing a technique.

If you are going to pursue knife grinding make sure to buy a good PAPR. Every knife I used to make I'd get a bloody nose afterward from inhaling metal dust for so long. I finally broke down and bought a good PAPR and feel much better about grinding now.

I just moved and still need to run better power ran out to my shop, but after I get it set up, If you want, you can ship me your blade after you grind it I'll heat treat it for you.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Spyderco Mule Team blades are great to play around with if you want to finish a knife. They come out a few times a year and are always a different steel. Sometimes they are cheap and sometimes they are expensive, they are pretty much a one time thing so they almost always go up in value. They have one coming up, but they sell out fast most of the time.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=978

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Great work!

I've had a few knives made from old metal files I had used over the years, there is something to be said about a nice hand crafted blade.

Well done!

muleskinner