4x4 related shops

Pike2350

I'm curious, and thought maybe a thread with ongoing sources for good shops that can deal with many of our trucks would be a good idea.

I'm currently looking for a shop that can do the rear pinion seal on my truck. I am at a loss as to what are good shops these days.....generally I want someone that is knowledgeable about 4x4's and some of the custom stuff that can be on our truck.

The only few I know of are

Jack-It
4Wheel Parts
Sexton Offroad
AllJeep

Others?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I wonder how many of these shops are interested in repairing a pinion seal? I doubt Jack it or 4 wheel parts would. If I needed a pinion seal replaced and couldn't do it myself, I'd be looking for drivetrain/gear shops over a "4x4" shop. These days, the "4x4" shops seem to be more interested in bolting on a lift kit or installing some bumpers.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Fat Bob's has moved to Layton on Main Street. I've bought some ARB parts there. They never have those in stock. They always take a week to get stuff in. eBay is faster as is Amazon Prime.

CruiserOutfitters is a great resource for ARB parts. If they don't have it, there's a Land Rover shop (Great Basin Rovers?) that might down on 18th-ish south and about 400 west that has stuff also

Pike2350

I wonder how many of these shops are interested in repairing a pinion seal? I doubt Jack it or 4 wheel parts would. If I needed a pinion seal replaced and couldn't do it myself, I'd be looking for drivetrain/gear shops over a "4x4" shop. These days, the "4x4" shops seem to be more interested in bolting on a lift kit or installing some bumpers.

That's a good point. I think the post is more about a "database" of shops that deal with 4x4's for whatever reason. I don't have the knowledge or time to replace the seal my self....and having an ARB in the back, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the truck to any mechanic. While many may not want to do the pinion seal, most would. I know Jack-It would (used to work there) but you are right....more of the money comes from bolting on stuff.

I guess I just worry that an ARB could be damaged (air line routing, etc) by a standard mechanic that might try this...so I always try and take it to a shop that may have a decent knowledge with 4x4's. I've thought of Six States, but honestly, of all the times I've called them or bought a few pieces from them, they've never treated me that great. (The Salt Lake store anyway) The one in Orem did my one piece driveshaft on my past truck and they were fine to deal with.

Plus, I tend to look for a shop that I can go back to with various things. This time it might be the pinion seal, another time it might be swapping my steering box for a different type, or looking at wiring in an onboard compressor, or other various 4x4 related work....so that's why I prefer a shop I can build a relationship with....and I wanted to get as many names out there for others who may be searching....even though I know most do this kind of work themselves.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
If your shop is messing with your ARB air line to replace a pinion seal, you may have taken it to the wrong shop. ;)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Do you have the D44 rear? If so, that has a shimmed pinion which makes the seal replacement very easy and straightforward. Unless there are other issues, you should only need a new seal, a new pinion nut, and that's it. No need to even pull the cover/drain the fluid.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Did anyone establish what vehicle Pike is working on?

At first I thought he had a Yota with all the "truck" talk, but now I am guessing...

Pike2350

If your shop is messing with your ARB air line to replace a pinion seal, you may have taken it to the wrong shop. ;)

See, this is stuff I don't know. I assumed they'd have to pull the carrier to get to the pinion and seal. I guess it's not as big an issue as I expected.

Do you have the D44 rear? If so, that has a shimmed pinion which makes the seal replacement very easy and straightforward. Unless there are other issues, you should only need a new seal, a new pinion nut, and that's it. No need to even pull the cover/drain the fluid.

Yep, D44, however, I'm not sure if there is any difference in the D44 that Isuzu uses an other standard ones. I know the axle shafts are different for whatever reason, and Isuzu used the thicker carrier (if that's the right term) similar to the Rubicon D44

Did anyone establish what vehicle Pike is working on?

At first I thought he had a Yota with all the "truck" talk, but now I am guessing...
it would be my Isuzu Rodeo.

As I said, this is more a reference for anyone to use...but I just happened to mention that I will need my pinion seal replaced (at least) I just thought it best to get a "all in 1 place" list of various shops.

FastGas

you might not need a new pinion seal at all. One of my isuzus had a slight drip from the pinion seal and I discovered the vent was rusted solid. I replaced the vent and the leak stopped.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Your seal is a bit different than a "normal" D44--outside is the same, but your yoke is larger diameter.