Talk me out of it.

Rock Taco

I've been looking at trucks to pull my Tacoma around now that it is nearing completion. I have a pretty good idea of what I want but budget does not always allow for what we want. So I have been considering 2wd trucks as well because they can be had for cheaper. I've seen arguements against them in the past but I'm still thinking about it.

My my use would not be as a daily driver (I already have 3 others to drive if I want). So I would only be using it for trips to st George, Moab, California, where ever the wheeling bug takes me. Probably only 5-7k miles a year.

So let's hear it. Give it your best shot. Why should I not own a 2wd tow rig?

just so you know I am prone to being stubborn.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've been in a few storms coming home from Moab and St George where I'm THRILLED to have 4x4. Can you get away with a 2wd, probably. I'll stick to my 4x4

RockChucker

Went to Moab friday morning during safari with my jeep in tow. Nasty storm going up over soldier. Not enjoyable even with 4wd....

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I liked my 2wd tow rig, with the weight on the back and posi it was great even in some crap. 4x4 is a nice for peace of mind, but I wouldn't hesitate on another 2wd. When I was recently looking for another diesel I actually tried to find a 2wd, but couldn't find one close enough that I wanted to look at so I "settled" for a 4wd. Probably not as big of a difference on the newer stuff, but the difference in MPG's for my 2wd rig and my later 4wd of the same year was 24 to 19, empty that is

I've rarely found circumstances where 4wd was needed on pavement. Just takes a little different mindset so you don't get into something that would require 4WD. If you are usually towing a 4wd machine, that also adds some peace of mind as you can always unload the trail rig to help out if you get the tow rig stuck.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Why should I not own a 2wd tow rig?

Because there is a solution. You say you want a tow rig for a low price, but you don't want to sacrifice 4wd? The answer is easy: ignore trucks and look at full-size SUVs instead. A heavy-duty 2500 Suburban will always cost less than its pickup equivalent, yet it can still comfortably do the work you want. (I suggest you go all in and find a nice 8.1L model, but some here might say I am biased.)

Rock Taco

I've been in a few storms coming home from Moab and St George where I'm THRILLED to have 4x4. Can you get away with a 2wd, probably. I'll stick to my 4x4

I understand that totally and I too would prefer a 4wd but the couple of 2wd trucks I have seen are pretty appealing for the price and not in as high of demand. I can't sit on the internet shopping all day at work like some.

Ive been in your truck and it's nice but more than I want to spend right now. By the way your kill link doesn't work for me.

Went to Moab friday morning during safari with my jeep in tow. Nasty storm going up over soldier. Not enjoyable even with 4wd....

Thats one of my arguements is that the storms that will cause issue for me with 2wd probably won't be fun in 4wd either.

I liked my 2wd tow rig, with the weight on the back and posi it was great even in some crap. 4x4 is a nice for peace of mind, but I wouldn't hesitate on another 2wd. When I was recently looking for another diesel I actually tried to find a 2wd, but couldn't find one close enough that I wanted to look at so I "settled" for a 4wd. Probably not as big of a difference on the newer stuff, but the difference in MPG's for my 2wd rig and my later 4wd of the same year was 24 to 19, empty that is

not just fuel savings but lower intial cost as well as less desirable to others.

I've rarely found circumstances where 4wd was needed on pavement. Just takes a little different mindset so you don't get into something that would require 4WD. If you are usually towing a 4wd machine, that also adds some peace of mind as you can always unload the trail rig to help out if you get the tow rig stuck.

thats all it would be towing. Now if the toy was broke that would be a whole different problem.

Because there is a solution. You say you want a tow rig for a low price, but you don't want to sacrifice 4wd? The answer is easy: ignore trucks and look at full-size SUVs instead. A heavy-duty 2500 Suburban will always cost less than its pickup equivalent, yet it can still comfortably do the work you want. (I suggest you go all in and find a nice 8.1L model, but some here might say I am biased.)

haha One thing for sure Dempsey is you are always good for a suburban recommendation! Just so you know I haven't ruled those out because of the cheap pricing compared to the cost of buying a truck with the same drive train.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We have owned 2x4 trucks. They work great, until they don't. They cost less because they do less. That's simple logic. If your 4x4 breaks down, don't expect a self rescue in a 2x4 tow rig. Don't expect a 2x4 to pull a stump out. Don't expect a 2x4 to drive to the store when it's snow covered outside.

If you are ok with basically owning a car that can tow a trailer, then you are set. But if you require your truck to do truck things, then get the 4x4.

Rock Taco

We have owned 2x4 trucks. They work great, until they don't. They cost less because they do less. That's simple logic. If your 4x4 breaks down, don't expect a self rescue in a 2x4 tow rig. Don't expect a 2x4 to pull a stump out. Don't expect a 2x4 to drive to the store when it's snow covered outside.

If you are ok with basically owning a car that can tow a trailer, then you are set. But if you require your truck to do truck things, then get the 4x4.

Im not too proud to accept a strap from a jeep. I have another truck to do truck things. This would only be used for towing.

Sometimes it's not always about 4X4! I can't count how many times I have used it just for low range.

Can an you list a couple of examples of what you would need just low range for?

Rock Taco

i guess you haven't been to Montana or Wyoming much in the winter. They don't salt the roads. You actually have to slow down and having 4 wheel drive is very beneficial.

No I never have and I don't know of anything that direction I would be towing my Tacoma on 40s to wheel.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
One thing for sure Dempsey is you are always good for a suburban recommendation!

Well, I didn't want to disappoint you. ;) It's good to know you haven't forgotten about them. They are certainly jacks of all trades and excellent values.

We have owned 2x4 trucks. They work great, until they don't.

This is a great summary IMO. For years, I used to proclaim that 4wd is not needed for towing... until I bought a trailer and started towing. Since then, I've had a few instances where I was surprised by traction-challenged terrain (such as unexpected mud pits at hotel "trailer parking" areas, etc). The 4wd capability turned what would have been a significant inconvenience at best (or a total disaster at worst) into a complete non-issue.

I say, stick to 4wd.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Can an you list a couple of examples of what you would need just low range for?

2wd low range is awesome for weaseling the trailer into tight areas with out binding up the drivetrain.

As its already been stated its great for backing up in tight or tricky spots especially if its a manual. I just added this feature to my rig, haven't used it yet though.

And for the record I've pulled a lot of stumps out with a 2x4 :greg: Not as easy but can be done, never under estimate the willpower of a 460

Kevin B.

Big hippy
So let's hear it. Give it your best shot. Why should I not own a 2wd tow rig?

Because you have a penis.

No, for reals, when I have a truck, I expect it to do truck things. 4WD things. A 2WD truck can't do 4WD things, so it can't do truck things. I've had 2WD trucks, and each one has left me wishing it was 4WD on multiple occasions. You're trying to tell yourself that you won't ever need 4WD in your tow rig, and maybe you won't, but you know danged well you'll want it and if you don't have it you'll wish you did. It isn't worth the money you'll save, IMO. Get a truck that can be a truck. Or an SUV that can be a truck, if you're Dempsey.

Rock Taco

Because you have a penis.

No, for reals, when I have a truck, I expect it to do truck things. 4WD things. A 2WD truck can't do 4WD things, so it can't do truck things. I've had 2WD trucks, and each one has left me wishing it was 4WD on multiple occasions. You're trying to tell yourself that you won't ever need 4WD in your tow rig, and maybe you won't, but you know danged well you'll want it and if you don't have it you'll wish you did. It isn't worth the money you'll save, IMO. Get a truck that can be a truck. Or an SUV that can be a truck, if you're Dempsey.

All of this is true 100% but the cheap a$$ in me is telling me otherwise.

If you're towing 7k, a half ton would do the job.

True but not with the added security, satisfaction and swagger of a 3/4 or one ton.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Get a truck that can be a truck. Or an SUV that can be a truck, if you're Dempsey.

Hey! I'm not the only one here who feels this way... right? What about Brett, for example? :rofl:

All of this is true 100% but the cheap a$$ in me is telling me otherwise.

Exactly how cheap is your ass, anyway? I don't think you've mentioned your desired budget yet in this thread. How much are you looking to (not) spend?