What tires for a tow rig?

Rock Taco

I need new tires for my F350. It will only be used for towing. Should I go with an AT or something more tame?
I have been considering AT tires at this point the three contenders are:

Toyo Open Country AT II https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-at-ii-on-off-road-all-terrain-tires
I have had these before (previous generation) but not on a full size. I was pleased with overall traction and longevity. Price is not bad either.

Cooper Discoverer AT3 http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-A-T3.aspx
I have had a different Cooper tire before (Discoverer STT) they performed great but wore semi quickly (not all the tires fault). Decent cost.

Nitto Terra Grappler http://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/terra-grappler-all-terrain-light-truck-tire/
These have me the most intrigued at this point. I have talked to a couple of people that have them on 3/4 - 1 ton trucks and they really like them. The reviews I have read for the most part are stellar, Some buying multiple sets. They are also reporting good miles out of them.

So those are the contenders. If you guys have any real world experience with these I would love to hear your input. Also if you have have any others that you would recommend I like to hear that as well.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I have Firestone TransForce on my tow rig and I really like them. Closed shoulder, decent tread for all weather, great wear so far and balanceable. They are similar tread to a lot of steer tires on big rigs. Best part is they come stock on lots of new rigs so there are 1,902,239 for sale on KSL for dirt cheap after people lift their brand new "tow rigs" to the sky.

If you are only running on the road for towing, I would get a tame tire just my .02. They will last longer run quieter (not that it matters on older diesels) and yield better MPG's

http://www.firestonetire.com/tires/transforce/transforce-at

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3 on mine. They are much quieter and are wearing better than the Treadwright Guard Dogs I had on there before, so I'm happy.

If you can find those Firestones in the size/load range you want for cheaper, I'd go that route probably. Mostly because an occasional-use vehicle doesn't need expensive tires on it. (unless it's a Jeep. Or Toyota.)

Bart

I have the Toyo AT II's also and am very impressed so far. Quiet ride, good sidewalls when towing my 10,000 boat, seem to be wearing very well.

blznnp

I had the cooper ATP's on my old F350, had issues with 2 or 3 of them right away and had to get new ones. once I got good ones though I liked them.

Rock Taco

I have Firestone TransForce on my tow rig and I really like them. Closed shoulder, decent tread for all weather, great wear so far and balanceable. They are similar tread to a lot of steer tires on big rigs. Best part is they come stock on lots of new rigs so there are 1,902,239 for sale on KSL for dirt cheap after people lift their brand new "tow rigs" to the sky.

If you are only running on the road for towing, I would get a tame tire just my .02. They will last longer run quieter (not that it matters on older diesels) and yield better MPG's

http://www.firestonetire.com/tires/transforce/transforce-at

im going a little bigger than stock so I'm not seeing them in my size.

I have the Toyo AT II on my Powerjoke. I like them a lot. I have 3000 miles on them so I can't really comment on longevity or similar

I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3 on mine. They are much quieter and are wearing better than the Treadwright Guard Dogs I had on there before, so I'm happy.

If you can find those Firestones in the size/load range you want for cheaper, I'd go that route probably. Mostly because an occasional-use vehicle doesn't need expensive tires on it. (unless it's a Jeep. Or Toyota.)

I have the Toyo AT II's also and am very impressed so far. Quiet ride, good sidewalls when towing my 10,000 boat, seem to be wearing very well.

Cooper ATP's (same as AT3's) are my favorite tire.

I had the cooper ATP's on my old F350, had issues with 2 or 3 of them right away and had to get new ones. once I got good ones though I liked them.

Thanks for for the input pretty much what I have been reading on the web but it's good to hear it from people you know.

lhracing

I am running the Toyo Open Country HT and love them. They are a highway tread but that is all my truck sees and almost always with a trailer hooked up.

LT.

Toyo AT all the way. Just replaced my fronts after 35,000 miles. Long story short I had a bad alignment and didn't catch it in time. Rears will go 65,000 easily.

Rob

Corban_White

I have had several sets of the Toyos. The set on my Tacoma went almost 70,000 miles and the set on the 4runner is at 45,000 and not half wore out yet. I tried to save some money in between the set on the taco and the set on the 4runner. I went thru a set of Hankook Dynapros and a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T2 Revo. Short story, I didn't end up saving any money and I'm back with the Toyos. Love them!

Rock Taco

I ended up going with the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 which is the newest version. I was able to find a set in the size I wanted on KSL with only 1/32 of wear for almost half the price of new. I'll report back after I get some miles on them. Which may be awhile since I won't be driving this truck much.