Jeeper's '78 F250 long term restore

My grandpa bought this truck brand new while working at a ford dealer. I've been asking for it since I was about 6 years old. It was the first vehicle I drove (age 9ish?) The truck has been borrowed and abused by every relative, neighbor, and ward member since it was new. One particular neighbor owned an orchard, and twice stepped out of the truck without getting it fully into park, and left the drivers door opened. This resulted in the drivers door being smashed by a tree when the truck would drive off on its own.
The truck quit running back in 2012, so grandpa sent it home with me. He passes away not much later.
The truck has been sitting in my garage for the past 4 years, and has finally been pulled out.
Its in much worse shape than I remembered. :(
the fuel line was glogged, but I was able to get it cleared, and the truck fired up. She blows some blue smoke, but not too much..
The floor board basically doesn't exist anymore on the drivers side. The bed is in poor shape.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

This is going to be a long slow process to get restored. I will have to spend money and time as they allow.

We are having current discussions on what direction we want to go with it. Not sure if I want to keep it as original as possible, or if I would like to do a modern build (newer axles, power stroke engine, suspension, etc)
Original would be fun, as most is still original.. But modern would be a blast also.

Stay at tuned as we tackle this project!

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Personally I'd put a ban on anything Ford from entering your driveway. There's is bad ju ju there...

No doubt in my mind that I would go modern with it. That being said, no way in hell a power stroke motor would qualify for the build.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Planning to join us for the Relic Run in June?

That is what got it pulled out in the first place. Looks like she's at least worthy enough to attempt the trip! :)

Personally I'd put a ban on anything Ford from entering your driveway. There's is bad ju ju there...

No doubt in my mind that I would go modern with it. That being said, no way in hell a power stroke motor would qualify for the build.

No 7.3?
Wanting to at least stay 'Ford' as much as possible, so I doubt I'd roll a Cummins in it.

You should swap a 6.0 in it, they're the best!

Too soon?

Yes... Now I have to go back into the closet and cry again. I just barely got out. :(

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I could go all out and try to copy that rat rod trophy truck idea!
.. But like if ever actually get it done..

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Gives us the specs. Engine, trans, etc

351 motor, auto trans, 4x4, the odo resets after 100k miles, so I don't know if it has rolled over 1 or 2 times.
Tires were installed by my brother more than 15 years ago, and are still about 1/2 tread, so little use in recent years.

Tonkaman

351 motor, auto trans, 4x4, the odo resets after 100k miles, so I don't know if it has rolled over 1 or 2 times.
Tires were installed by my brother more than 15 years ago, and are still about 1/2 tread, so little use in recent years.

With that little use it may have never turned over the 100k mark.

Why no Cummins? It would be rad!

Bart

Why no Cummins? It would be rad!

Very cool those older fords. As cool as the truck might be with Ford drivetrain, I don't think you could go wrong with an early 12 valve Cummins, plus there are lots of aftermarket swap parts available.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Very cool those older fords. As cool as the truck might be with Ford drivetrain, I don't think you could go wrong with an early 12 valve Cummins, plus there are lots of aftermarket swap parts available.

If you're not going to do a ton of heavy towing, a Cummins 4BT would be pretty rad under the hood. Turn up the fuel a little and it's possible to get 400 ft/lbs and MPG's in the mid-20's depending on how it ends up geared.

rholbrook

I would fix the rust on the floors. The smoke could be coming from heads so maybe a valve job. Brakes, discs in the rear if it doesn't have it already. Update the interior with some new OE styled stuff from LMC or somewhere like that.

Put modern FI in it and call it good. It would be really cool if it was a crew cab.