Can anyone help me do an (easy) axle swap?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Short story, with pictures

I have this 1980 Grand Prix:

12342701_832462523519059_4510020261792406300_n.jpg

Like the vast majority of G-Body cars, it came from the factory with the weakest rear axle ever offered by GM, the 7.5. No big deal; I went out and purchased a Fox-body Ford 8.8 axle to replace it:

12919623_894343417330969_8396706603765584815_n.jpg

This is a very straight-forward swap, especially if you buy the Trick Chassis swap kit... which I did:

img_6729-5.jpg

While I was at it, I also purchased their matching spherical bushings and a pair of weld-on coil spring perches.

If you want to read more about this exact axle swap, here are complete articles from Car Craft magazine as well as Bang Shift. Yes, there is some welding involved (which is why I am seeking assistance), and having a vehicle lift would be a major plus. Even still, this operation seems pretty easy as far as typical axle conversions go in our hobby. My plan is to bolt in this axle as delivered and hit the road. I will worry about c-clip elimination, proper wheel bolt patterns and adding a swaybar at a later time. Like I said, this should be a relatively simple operation.

For various reasons, time is becoming a factor and I am extremely open to possibilities. I had already asked Matt to help me with this, but he is in the middle of an operation that will tie him up for at least the next two weeks. Is there anyone else here with the capability to do this that might be available sooner? If so, please speak up.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I can help you on Wednesdays Thursdays or Fridays Dempsey. But I bring nothing more to the table than being a warm body that can hold stuff. No lift, no welding skillz, etc etc. But if you need a body to help hold/move stuff I'm your man.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'm up for it on Sat. Dempsey.
No lift but I have the welder, jack stands, impact tools, etc.
Just need to make sure we get it done by Mon.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
After a lengthy discussion, it just won't be feasible for Eric to help me with the swap this weekend. Nevertheless, I greatly appreciate his offer.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
This swap still hasn't happened--I've made no progress since my last post. Hmm.

A co-worker gave me an idea: perhaps I can crawl under my car with its current axle and carefully measure where the current lower spring perches are located. Then I can just take the 8.8 axle somewhere to have the perches welded on to it. If I accomplish that, then the axle will physically just bolt to the car. The only thing remaining would be to weld the upper arm brackets to the crossmember, though I think I can do that after the swap is done--I would probably trailer the car to the welder so as to not put any serious stress on the brackets until they are welded into place.

Does this sound like a good idea? Namely, welding the perches onto the 8.8 without the car being present? Or am I loopy for considering it and ultimately dooming myself to failure?

Comments/suggestions/snide remarks are welcome.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think you should get with one of your welder friends and have them help you tack those perches in place. I'm glad to assist sometime in July-August if that works for you. My June weekends are kind of killed. Are you off on Tuesdays (I can take a day off if that helps)?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
This swap still hasn't happened--I've made no progress since my last post. Hmm.

A co-worker gave me an idea: perhaps I can crawl under my car with its current axle and carefully measure where the current lower spring perches are located. Then I can just take the 8.8 axle somewhere to have the perches welded on to it. If I accomplish that, then the axle will physically just bolt to the car. The only thing remaining would be to weld the upper arm brackets to the crossmember, though I think I can do that after the swap is done--I would probably trailer the car to the welder so as to not put any serious stress on the brackets until they are welded into place.

Does this sound like a good idea? Namely, welding the perches onto the 8.8 without the car being present? Or am I loopy for considering it and ultimately dooming myself to failure?

Comments/suggestions/snide remarks are welcome.

I didn't speak up before because there's much better welders than I on the board, but I'd be happy to bring my little baby welder over. If we find out we're not able to get solid welds with it, we can at least tack your brackets in place so you can take the axle to somebody with a bigger machine and know everything will end up where you want it. But I'm pretty sure the machine will do it.

I'm free most mornings.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
measure the pinion angle vs the angle of the perches.

measure the width of the perches

mark the axle

bring it over to me and I'll weld the perches on the axle for you.

Are you going to swap the rear suspension to leaf springs for him too?:p

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I have a new idea.

bring it over to me and I'll weld the perches on the axle for you.

I did crawl under there to take some measurements. I don't have an angle finder, so I told myself I'd just kinda eyeball it. Well, that's just silly. My new idea is this: perhaps I'll just put the car in the driveway on jack stands, remove the stock axle, and bring both of them to you. We can measure the old one six ways to Sunday, then weld the perches to the Ford axle accordingly.

I'd be happy to bring my little baby welder over. If we find out we're not able to get solid welds with it, we can at least tack your brackets in place so you can take the axle to somebody with a bigger machine and know everything will end up where you want it.

You can be involved in Step Two. While the axle is out of the car, I will bolt the conversion brackets to the crossmember. Then I can have you bring your machine over to lay down two small beads to lock the brackets into place. After that, I can bolt in the Ford axle and be done with it (as far as any other RME members are concerned, at least).

How do the two of you feel about that?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'm available from 11am to 6pm on Saturday to knock it all out, if you still need the help. Let me know asap.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I have a new idea.

I did crawl under there to take some measurements. I don't have an angle finder, so I told myself I'd just kinda eyeball it. Well, that's just silly. My new idea is this: perhaps I'll just put the car in the driveway on jack stands, remove the stock axle, and bring both of them to you. We can measure the old one six ways to Sunday, then weld the perches to the Ford axle accordingly.

You can be involved in Step Two. While the axle is out of the car, I will bolt the conversion brackets to the crossmember. Then I can have you bring your machine over to lay down two small beads to lock the brackets into place. After that, I can bolt in the Ford axle and be done with it (as far as any other RME members are concerned, at least).

How do the two of you feel about that?

This weekend is not super, but I could swing by Sunday. Or most any morning next week.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
UPDATE:

After a flurry of text messaging on Thursday, Josh kindly followed through on his posted offer of assitance with this phase of my project. I delivered the car and the Ford axle to his place late Friday night, and he began working on it yesterday. He had hoped to complete it in one day, but there was a small delay; it sounds like he will finish it tomorrow.

Just keeping everyone up-to-date.