New truck...maybe. Thoughts?

Caleb

I currently have a 2013 Tacoma. I really like the truck but I really miss my Tundra. I miss the extra power, the interior room, and the towing capability. I don't have anything large that I need to tow right now, I currently only tow my 6x10 enclosed trailer with a couple motorcycles in it. Nothing major. Power-wise it does fine. My biggest issue is the rear springs absolutely suck. I can sit on my tailgate and put it on the bump stops. Here's a pic from today with 4 sheets of plywood in the bed and it's on the bump stops.

shitaco.jpg

I've read that years prior had a recall on the three leaf packs. Sometimes they will still replace them, but not always. I have the crappy three leaf packs. Should I try to get them to replace them? Should I get some airbags for towing? Should I just get an OME lift and get the HD rear springs? Or should I trade this in and get something else?

I've been looking A LOT at the Tundras. I love them. Hate their mileage though (although my Tacoma isn't a whole lot better). With my 2007 Tundra I averaged around 15-17, with my Tacoma I average around 17-18. The other issue I had with my Tundra was it was large to drive around everyday. Got tired of parking it so I ended up getting a little GTI to drive daily and l let the Tundra sit. My work is moving in the next couple months and I'll be able to take trax to work so I won't HAVE to drive it every day if I don't want to, my wife also threw out the idea of getting a motorcycle I could ride too. I also like that you can now get a much larger gas tank on the Tundra (38 gallon).

I've also just started toying with the idea of a Cummins Titan. Never really cared for the Titan, but the Cummins could be pretty sweet. It should solve the mileage concern, but the few Titans I've rode in have had horrid interiors. It's been several years though, so maybe they've improved?

I thought about the Ford, thinking maybe I could save a few bucks, but by the time you get it outfitted it's more than the Tundra or Titan by a lot and it's still ugly. :D

So, should I fix the spring issue on my truck or get something newer and bigger?

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I say pursue the spring recall or slap some OME's on the Tacoma or go the F-150 route.

I'm a Toyota fanboy but the Ford platform seems to eclipse the Tundra in every aspect aside from maybe the cavernous backseat of the CrewMax. I love the 5.0 as well as the EcoBoost.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Moody had been trying to sell his Tundra. I'm not sure where he is on that but it could be an option.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
......I thought about the Ford, thinking maybe I could save a few bucks, but by the time you get it outfitted it's more than the Tundra or Titan by a lot and it's still ugly. :D

So, should I fix the spring issue on my truck or get something newer and bigger?

Odd, that's one of the reasons I didn't buy the Toyotas. I couldn't stand to look at the Tundra (the new Super Duty is hideous though) and didn't think much of the Tacoma after driving a few)

outdores

I had the two leaf spring package and put in an add a leaf kit. It made a world of difference. Five minutes after I got done putting them in I got a call from the dealership saying there was a leaf spring recall on my 06 Tacoma. I have been busy and drove the truck for a month before taking it in yesterday to get the new leafs in. I did not have them put in the new leafs since they wanted to charge me $110 to do it. "It will take a lot of work and some expensive new bolts to put in that add a leaf." So I took the add a leaf back and will wait to see if I need to add them again myself.

But to your point, I made an appointment to get my springs inspected initially for the recall but ended up being out of town. They went ahead and ordered the parts even though they never inspected my truck to see if it needed them. So if there is a recall on your year you can probably get a new leaf package for free. At least that way you could try a potential solution without putting any money in. Just an idea.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
The springs in those second gens suck, riding on the bump stops with two dirt bikes in the back. I'd have to second the F150 vote, never owned a Tundra but i've been in them. Fuel economy is a turn off, with the tiny tank. The F150's are nicely equipped and comfortable even at the XLT level, and you can't beat the back seat on the 4 doors. I've owned a 5.0 and an eco-boost, if you want a little cheaper you can find ton of used 5.0's for a couple grand cheaper because they don't have the eco boost cool factor. I towed a 4 runner with both setups, its definitely an easier tow (RPM wise) with the eco boost, but the fuel economy was almost equal. The eco boost does get 1-2 mpg better empty.

rholbrook

I did a long rode trip in a eco boost and was not impressed at all. nothing eco about the eco boost. 18mpg highway. ended up going with the ram ecodiesel and couldn't be happier. and its a lot cheaper than the ford.

Can you buy a bad truck anymore? I too drove the EcoDiesel and liked the truck. I couldn't get past the middle seat in the rear, and the size of the rear passenger compartment. The truck drove really nice, loved the air suspension. Another thing that bothered me with the Dodge is how long the current platform has been out. The body hasn't changed much in a long time.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
At least you still have a Tocoma to drive. I took my 2006 in the day after presidents day and haven't seen it since. They told me my frame had a hole in it the size of a basket ball. The frame has been ordered and should be done sometime this month. Only 120 days of driving a rental made for a 4' human, not a 6'4 dude.
I have two tacomas and wanted to buy another for my son, after this I'm not sure I will even even look at another Tacoma.
Now, before I lost my Tacoma, I carried two dirt bikes in the back and it bottomed out every time I hit a bump on the freeway. I put some over load springs on it and that...helped, a bit. I like having a mid-size truck but at 18 MPG for the Tacoma, I think a Ford F150 Eco may be in my future.

sixstringsteve

The new Cummins in the titan supposedly only gets 18mog. That sucks, cuz i was excited about that motor in the nv vans.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I find it amusing that a 15 year old Dodge w/ diesel gets better mileage than its modern "equivalents."

It's because of emissions requirements. The emissions coming out is supposedly cleaner, but you get half the fuel mileage!
Also a big reason VW decided to spoof the tests. The engineers know it's all bullshit.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
It's because of emissions requirements. The emissions coming out is supposedly cleaner, but you get half the fuel mileage!
Also a big reason VW decided to spoof the tests. The engineers know it's all bullshit.

I live in Davis county and the county diesel emissions garbage is the exact reason why I don't don't own a diesel.

Corban_White

On my 2nd gen Tacoma I got a set of take off leaves from Kurt and cut them down and added them to the factory pack. It made it ride about perfect and matched my front leveling kit. And it was cheap and easy. I hauled and towed quite often with that truck and it was a huge improvement. There's also the new canyon/Colorado with the duramax.....

Caleb

Go drive a new Eco-Boost

I was seriously considering the ecoboost until I saw they were at least $10k more than the tundra. That's a lot of gas and the short time I keep my vehicles, I don't think I'd ever make up for it.

Odd, that's one of the reasons I didn't buy the Toyotas. I couldn't stand to look at the Tundra (the new Super Duty is hideous though) and didn't think much of the Tacoma after driving a few)

I'll admit the tundra is an acquired taste. However, I think with a leveling kit and a little large tire, they're the best looking 1/2 ton right now. I can't stand the F-150 , but it's probably the only domestic I'd consider.

At least you still have a Tocoma to drive. I took my 2006 in the day after presidents day and haven't seen it since. They told me my frame had a hole in it the size of a basket ball. The frame has been ordered and should be done sometime this month. Only 120 days of driving a rental made for a 4' human, not a 6'4 dude.
I have two tacomas and wanted to buy another for my son, after this I'm not sure I will even even look at another Tacoma.
Now, before I lost my Tacoma, I carried two dirt bikes in the back and it bottomed out every time I hit a bump on the freeway. I put some over load springs on it and that...helped, a bit. I like having a mid-size truck but at 18 MPG for the Tacoma, I think a Ford F150 Eco may be in my future.

That blows. Oddly enough, one of the biggest factors for me is the service I've received from the Toyota dealer with my last couple toyotas. I've always been treated great at Karl Malone. Can't say your situation would be any different given I'm sure any dealer would have to order the frame. I'd definitely request a like vehicle though.

The new Cummins in the titan supposedly only gets 18mog. That sucks, cuz i was excited about that motor in the nv vans.

Really? Admittedly, I've never been a huge Titan fan but the little reading I'd done was saying 23-25mpg out of it. If it's really only 18 then there's now way I'd consider it. I could get 19out of my Tundra if I didn't drive it like a maniac (that was rare:) )

On my 2nd gen Tacoma I got a set of take off leaves from Kurt and cut them down and added them to the factory pack. It made it ride about perfect and matched my front leveling kit. And it was cheap and easy. I hauled and towed quite often with that truck and it was a huge improvement. There's also the new canyon/Colorado with the duramax.....

This kind of brings me back to just replacing the spring situation. I'd like a mild lift anyways, I could just address the springs at the same time.

Am I crazy to consider a Raptor? I understand their mileage is horrible and they cost a pretty penny, but I'm sure they'd tow the little trailer I have. What about a new 4Runner? I know they technically are rated less than the Tacoma, but it only the rear springs that suck about the Tacoma, power and brakes are more than sufficient for my needs.

Whatever I do, I plan to buy brand new. I don't trust used vehicles. :(

Thanks everyone for opinions and advice so far.

burke

So I was in a similar situation a couple weeks back. I do have an old cj that my 2014 taco towed ok. I have always loved my tacomas and was reluctant to go bigger. I looked at the dodges and the Chevys as I wasn't in love with the tundra front grill. After looking at the domestics I climbed in a tundra and felt right at home. Long story long I bought the tundra and absolutely love it. I struggled with deciding between the double cab to get the bigger bed, but ended up going crewmax and am happy with my choice.

Having the extra capacity is really nice around the house. I have managed to already dent my bed hauling landscaping materials.

sixstringsteve

It'd be worth doing more research, my 18mpg number on the new cummins was initial tests, not real world numbers after they break in. Hopefully it's better than that.

Last edited: