Reconsidering my position as a VW fan...

Troop92

If you had asked me if I like VWs before last week, I'd have emphatically said yes. Our 2003 Beetle gave us over 100k miles of trouble-free speed, comfort, and good mileage. Bought a 2007 Passat 2.0T wagon last summer as my wife's daily drive. Spacious, great mileage, comfortable. It was dealer maintained and had just 63k miles on it, in pristine condition. Drove a year (11k miles) without issues.

Enter last week, when I was using it to commute to work (after 5 months unemployment, I got a job!) and realized that the a/c wasn't cold. With our cooler temps and my wife not being able to drive the last two months is her pregnancy, it had gone unnoticed.

Took it into Strong VW to diagnose, as it's close to my work. Comes back that compressor has failed, will need to replace and evac/fill the system. $1400. Nearly fainted. Checking around, that's about average, since so much involved.

I was driving home on the freeway, I turned on the hvac that still has the a/c on from the dealer diagnostic and cold air came out. Cool, I thought.... until three was a screech, the smell of acrid rubber, a battery dash light, and my car shut off. Thankfully restarted, but long story short the compressor caused a cascade effect, now need compressor, condenser, expansion valve, and maybe an evaporator.... $2100 and change, basically the entire system.

Contacted VW of America to inquire about it, as 74k miles if awfully low. My WJ has 178k and the air still works flawlessly. Was meet with the canned "had it been in the three year, 36k warranty we maybe could have helped..." In my research, this is a widely known issue on 2006/2007 vw/audi with the 2.0T engine, bad supplier for the compressor. Of course VW won't acknowledge it, though my story mirrors those online, some with half my mileage.

New job, new baby, and new car repair. Guess that's why I have a zero balance in my credit card, right? Gotta fill it with something.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yeah, they can be expensive to repair unfortunately... especially if you're talking to the dealer!

I have a friend that works at an independent VW shop in SLC, he's actually doing side-work currently and should be able to save you quite a bit. He's a very good mechanic, I'd recommend him highly. Let me know if you want his contact info.

Caleb

I've heard of many people having issues with VWs over the years. I've owned two (a 99 Jetta and a 2014(I think) GTI) and they've been relatively trouble free. I've always thought my VWs didn't feel solid (same empty sound when closing doors or cruising down the read in my 99 and 15 years later in my 2014). I like the cars but as Greg said, they can be pricey to fix. Hopefully Greg's buddy can save you a bit on the repair.

Troop92

Yeah, they can be expensive to repair unfortunately... especially if you're talking to the dealer! I have a friend that works at an independent VW shop in SLC, he's actually doing side-work currently and should be able to save you quite a bit. He's a very good mechanic, I'd recommend him highly. Let me know if you want his contact info.

I got a similar quote from a shop here in Layton, but they're a bit pricey too. That would be great, I'd appreciate the referral/info. The wife and kids need a/c, whereas I could do without.

Troop92

I've heard of many people having issues with VWs over the years. I've owned two (a 99 Jetta and a 2014(I think) GTI) and they've been relatively trouble free. I've always thought my VWs didn't feel solid (same empty sound when closing doors or cruising down the read in my 99 and 15 years later in my 2014). I like the cars but as Greg said, they can be pricey to fix. Hopefully Greg's buddy can save you a bit on the repair.

Yeah, hit and miss, I guess. We bought our Beetle from my uncle with 33k on it, then put on another 100k. Nothing needed other than oil changes and a new clutch at 107k. Never should have sold it.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
We have loved our VW's. Started dating my wife in '04 and we bought a '99 a4. We have since owned another 99 a4, 98 a4, 03 TT, 06 Touareg, and now a '15 q5. We have obviously loved them or we wouldn't keep going back. They have been basically trouble free other than a clutch on the 98 a4, and clutch on the 03 TT. Yes they are Audi except the Touareg but made in the same factories. They feel like very solid and heavy to us compared to vw but same parts. I think we will always have at least one Audi in the garage. Sorry for your bad luck with this car. I also have a mechanic in Orem if you need another quote. Kapps European Auto. Ask for Sam, tell him Tyson sent you.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Don't go to southtowne VW, they can't even remember to put oil in your car after a service..... :mad2:

Troop92

I also have a mechanic in Orem if you need another quote. Kapps European Auto. Ask for Sam, tell him Tyson sent you.
Thanks, man. Yeah, we enjoyed our '03 and it was nothing but reliable. I mean, we love the Passat, and it's been great until this. Hoping it's a fluke and we can enjoy it a long while. I'd love to have it as my commuter when we shift my wife/kids to a minivan.

^^ This (Streamline)
Read good things. His story is pretty unique.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I changed a belt one time for my boss's kid's jetta, I think. I swore off VW's at that point, even though my wife really likes them.

Troop92

Happy update/ending to this story. I ended up going with Greg's recommendation/contact, and i couldn't be happier. He was a pleasure to work with, got it done in a reasonable amount of time, and saved me over $700. The air is frigid, can't remember the last time I had to turn down the air... Thanks Greg!

4554x4

always modifing something
As a mechanic, I could never recommend a VW. I had a late model Jetta to work on. The fuse box was crushed, and I had to change the wiring harness. It was one piece front the headlights to the tail lights. Front suspension, engine, entire interior, even the bolt in/glued in firewall had to be removed.