lift kit question

Tank5531

Hi im brand new and a guy I work with sent me your way. Vehicle: 74 cj5 with a 304.
I am rebuilding it or more like it building it. Anyways lift kit. My leafs are shot and it has cheap shocks on it. I've been looking around and on another forum there was a sugestion for Holbrook specialties long leafs. They sound good as i live in a city and want this for off roading in the mountains near by. They say the longer springs will help with the freeway driving and it gives a 3" lift. Price wise they are double most of the 2.5" lifts I've been looking at. Question are Holbrook worth the 1200$ price tag or should i be looking at tough country, roncho or the likes. Also the guy at work was saying something about doing reverse shackle kit. Is this a wise move? Thank you, Preston

ricsrx

Welcome to RME!

Sorry im into Toyota's and not that familiar with Jeeps, don't worry the jeep guy's will jump in..

Rick

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Stock YJ springs in a spring over axle configuration will give you the best ride, and 3"-4" of overall lift. Otherwise, for $1200 you could likely do a DIY coil conversion and get the best ride possible.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Only problem with spring over is that it comes with a lot of other issues like steering etc. I'd do a nice Rubicon Express kit and be done with it.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
spring over with stock springs in the front and just a lift spring still sprung under in the rear has treated me very well.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
spring over with stock springs in the front and just a lift spring still sprung under in the rear has treated me very well.

This is probably how I would do a lift on a leaf sprung Jeep. This eliminates the need for traction bars, but helps with ride and flex.

As for brands, I would look for the softest ride setup you can, or a leaf pack with the fewest leafs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank5531

So i have a question for height. I was thinking of going with a 4" lift but if i do that will i have to do alot of work changing my line angle and adding longer cables ect. Should i just stuck with a 2.5" lift? Planing on running 33s on it but was thinking od going up to 35s.
Thanks

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

I completely agree with this.

You will probably need more than 2.5"of lift to fit 35's. Don't cheap out on the shocks, either. Some nice Bilsteins are worth the money for ride quality.

For shackle reversal on Jeeps, I am not a fan. It can cause issues with driveshaft and steering.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
When I outboarded my springs I kept the shackle in the front to avoid some of the handing quirks of the reversal.

Do you really want to go up to 35"s? That's about max I'd go on the stock axles and your going to be very tall with that short wheelbase/narrow axles.