Broken Axle Help!!!

LittleJeepBigW

Hi guys! We are on our honeymoon/ marketing trip for Clayton Offroad and Fox Shocks doing a 4000 mile overlanding trip with an Offroad trailer. We seem to have broken an axle on a forest road near Mancos Colorado. If anyone knows someone that knows someone that could help us out any help would be much appreciated!!! It's Sunday and all the shops are closed and tomorrow is the 4th of July so we aren't sure who is going to be open. We have a 2012 2Dr JK with a 2.5" long arm kit, 35" tires, with a brand new rear posi Trac and 4.88 gears. We are 6 days into the trip of 30 days!! Thanks!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Glad you found the site. We'll see if we can't get ya fixed up.

How far off of the highway are you in Mancos?

Any idea what caused the break?

Last edited:

LittleJeepBigW

Really appreciate it! We are off rd 316 3 miles up the road from highway 160. Not sure what caused the break as we were just lightly cruising up this gravel road looking for a place to sleep for the night. I assume it's the rear axle shaft but we recently did the gears and posi a few weeks back. I might be able to limp it back to the road and we can get AAA to take us to Durango if that makes things easier on us as it seems Mancos was just a little tiny town. Anything helps! Thanks so much!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Cortez is probably a better bet. Jimmy's 4x4 is a reputable shop there. You might also post up on the "Moab Friends for Four wheelin" page on Facebook.

LittleJeepBigW

Thanks for the reply. Is Jimmy's the buggie shop? I would feel better with an Offroad shop as they will know all the aftermarket parts I have installed. Any chance they will be open tomorrow? This holiday weekend was a bad time to break something!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Dang, I have some front axles for a Rubicon I could loan out... no rears. Jimmy's 4x4 is probably your best bet, like Jeremy mentioned. Obviously with the holiday, you're kinda screwed. :(

RogueJeepr

Here!
Could be the pin in the locker. Maybe got installed improperly. I had one break on me recently. Had to reverse to un-jam it and drove home slowly while hearing the gears get destroyed.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Could be the pin in the locker. Maybe got installed improperly. I had one break on me recently. Had to reverse to un-jam it and drove home slowly while hearing the gears get destroyed.

I believe it ended up being incorrectly setup gears. They were making quite a loud whine. Jimmy's 4x4 reset them, cleaned things up, and got them on their way.