Weld on beadlocks rings

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Who are the cool cats to buy these things from now days? New wheels on the way and I want to ditch the inner air locks.

Last set I got about 12 years ago was from Rockstomper in CO. Anybody know if they are still in business?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Carl. He can even add a Hello Kitty pic for you.

Carl was the first I talked to. We determined that cutting out beadlocks is a huge waste of material and that I could pick them up for cheaper than the cost of the plate. So, Carl is my backup plan because I could ultimately get a bunch of tabs made out of the centers along side of the hello kitties. :D

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've used
totalmetalinnovations.com
Their anti coning ring is precut into the inner ring and you just bend them up before you weld. Pretty cool innovation if you ask me.
There is a Pirate coupon code if you search.

DIYbeadlocks.com is another one, but the owner is kind of a dork.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
If Carl wanted to take time to create a 4 piece interlocking outer ring like trail gear we could really get a lot of rings out of a small amount of material and I'd be willing to buy a 17" set.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If Carl wanted to take time to create a 4 piece interlocking outer ring like trail gear we could really get a lot of rings out of a small amount of material and I'd be willing to buy a 17" set.

That is a really good idea, which I will work on designing tonight. :cool:

muleskinner

I've used
totalmetalinnovations.com
Their anti coning ring is precut into the inner ring and you just bend them up before you weld. Pretty cool innovation if you ask me.
There is a Pirate coupon code if you search.

I just welded up a set of these for my FJ40. I cut a slot on an angle in a 16'' piece 2x2x1/4 square tube for bending the anti coning tabs, Just slip it over and pull flat and the tabs are 90*

Good price and quality.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
OK, so here's what I came up with. 36 bolt rings for 17" wheels, with segmented outer rings and integrated anti-coning tab thingys. I need to verify a couple dimensions before cutting, but I should be able to get them done for $225 per set of 4. :cool: (in 1/4", which I assume most or all will want)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Whats stopping a guy from cutting the inner ring into 2 halves to save material as well. I used total metal innovations when i did mine.

Nothing really I suppose. I can see a lot more chance of having things not quite line up by doing that. Maybe allow some warpage after cutting, that can't happen when cutting a full ring? Maybe?

Ashcat

For those who aren't familiar with this design. Here's a picture.

Is there a reason that these aren't catching on? There's many many many many many "flip up" anti-coning tab design weld on beadlock kits out there. Everybody buys them. Why? Seems like there's a better way like below. There's nothing fancy that couldn't be replicated by somebody at home with the capability.

That's what I'm buying for my rig. Less labor too :greg:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    228.1 KB · Views: 67

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
For those who aren't familiar with this design. Here's a picture.

Is there a reason that these aren't catching on? There's many many many many many "flip up" anti-coning tab design weld on beadlock kits out there. Everybody buys them. Why? Seems like there's a better way like below. There's nothing fancy that couldn't be replicated by somebody at home with the capability.

That's what I'm buying for my rig. Less labor too :greg:

It uses a lot more material doing it that way, is the only reason I can think of.

Ashcat

Yes, for a "full" ring unlike the interlocking design you're drawing up. If you could make the design I like for a reasonable cost, I'd be in.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I certainly can make it, but the cost would be about the same as that Mayhem guy's price...but mine would be plasma cut rather than laser, and wouldn't include any of the hardware. So unless the cost of shipping kills the deal, it's probably best to just buy his.

The way I'm seeing it, for each wheel you'd need two full rings, plus 14 of the stackable spacer blocks. That's nice in that it uses the otherwise wasted interior of the rings, but certainly increases the cost. (compared to other companies who use that interior space to cut some of their other offerings, which they sell separately for more $$)