Sterling 10.5

B2-Bomber

Petersen's did a bolt-by bolt comparison of it versus a 14 bolt a couple years back.

Essentially they concluded that a 14 bolt is slightly (but negligible) stronger. But such a little difference it doesn't matter much.

But the sterling was noticeably more expensive as far as every single part you'd buy i.e. gears, lockers, yokes, bearings, seals etc.
Not to mention the different wheel bolt pattern.

So if you were running an 8x170 front, it's a great axle to match it. But the big hang up is usually cost

thenag

Petersen's did a bolt-by bolt comparison of it versus a 14 bolt a couple years back.

Essentially they concluded that a 14 bolt is slightly (but negligible) stronger. But such a little difference it doesn't matter much.

But the sterling was noticeably more expensive as far as every single part you'd buy i.e. gears, lockers, yokes, bearings, seals etc.
Not to mention the different wheel bolt pattern.

So if you were running an 8x170 front, it's a great axle to match it. But the big hang up is usually cost

I do love the old gm 14 bolt, but there is something to be said for using an axle that isn't 30 years old. the biggest advantage I see is really good disk brake with parking brake setup, something the old 14 bolt lacks.

B2-Bomber

I literally bought a less than 10 year old 4:10, disc brake 14 bolt from AllTruck like a month ago.

But yeah, an old 14 bolt lacks all that

OrangeSkidPlate

Looking around on the interwebs has turned up that the 14 bolt is slightly stronger but weights over 200 pounds more, so I see that as an advantage for the 10.5, in my application at least.

thenag

I literally bought a less than 10 year old 4:10, disc brake 14 bolt from AllTruck like a month ago.

But yeah, an old 14 bolt lacks all that

That is one thing I hate about "the 14 bolt" is there are about half a dozen "14 bolts" to me it is the late 70's to mid 80's with the removable pinion, the 3rd pinion bearing and a detroit that is pretty much a lunchbox locker. Yeah those "new 14 bolts" are sweet, I would love to have a good e-brake.

Nathan